Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Property Ladder - A Guide to Buying Land

SQUEE!!! >.< I LOVE PLAYING WITH EXCEL! *does little happy dance in my head, looks around and blushes from people staring at me weird or laughing*..yea i'm a dork, but trying to get into a Bookkeeping career which uses Excel and i totally enjoy it..
    anywho, back to the point i was gonna say, i currently own 3 of everything and make 56,400/hr, and i just keep blowing my money on buying more land since i really dont know what else to spend money on..i have finished the quests on normal level and around halfway or more done on hard, so i know i spend little bits here and there to add more pieces of required stuff for quest battles, but other than that and refilling health (which doesn't happen much) is there anything that the gold/money is good for? would be cool if the planet coin stuff would also be sold at like high amounts of gold/money as well *shrugs*..just being curious since i dont know what else to spend it on other than buying more and more land..>.>

ok normally all this would make sense, but right now i'm sick and have a headache and seriously tired, so my brain has exploded numerous times..i think i need to come back when i feel better and more awake to try to understand and test this out..>.< lol

you know, i was required to take 2 courses (basic and advanced) on excel for my old job. i can do pivot tables and all that other junk, but i don't think i was ever taught how to use that color graded stuff. thanks, stewie!

Quote Originally Posted by eurobotch View Post
    you know, i was required to take 2 courses (basic and advanced) on excel for my old job. i can do pivot tables and all that other junk, but i don't think i was ever taught how to use that color graded stuff. thanks, stewie!
    Sounds about right! It's one of those features you find by accident when your looking through all the option menus hehe

the only thing with this whole, 'which is best gold to buy thing' is that you dont put into acount the time factor.... is a low lvl land pays off before you save up for the higher lvl land.... you have to take into account the time it take to save up for the big stuff.... if it takes over 48 hours to save up for a higher lvl property but the low lvl land pays off or even gives profit by then then you buy the low lvl land

Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post
    the only thing with this whole, 'which is best gold to buy thing' is that you dont put into acount the time factor.... is a low lvl land pays off before you save up for the higher lvl land.... you have to take into account the time it take to save up for the big stuff.... if it takes over 48 hours to save up for a higher lvl property but the low lvl land pays off or even gives profit by then then you buy the low lvl land
    Yes, that is correct, and I think it was mentioned early in this thread. When I have some more time, I might very well work that all in to it too.

Silver Arrow Daenerys Targaryen's Avatar
    I Min/Maxxed my income in the beginning, but now I just keep the totals the same across the board, and only buy in tens. But this guide was great in the begging. I am an accountant by trade, but seeing work that is already done is a god send, especially since I don't even want to look at Excel by the time I get home. Numbers are fine, I love math, and doing it by hand never gets old to me, but I dunno...

Anyway, in short, thanks Stewie Doo, and to everyone going nuts about the money thing, realize that those who enjoy ROI and such will be doing this, but it is hardly necessary, there are no big purchases that are needed aside from more land (unless outfitting your army, but that isn't an need per say). Just do what you want if it seems like to much work, and let those who enjoy such things benefit from the slight advantage it will give them.

Farmhand

Thanks so much! got all 5 accounts done

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadja View Post
    thanks so much! got all 5 accounts done
    what do you mean by 5 accounts? multiple DotD accounts are forbidden. please maintain only one and remove all others, or they will be banned once discovered

Quote Originally Posted by Daenerys Targaryen View Post
    realize that those who enjoy ROI and such will be doing this, but it is hardly necessary
    That's the way business works People just confused it too much with stock-exchange.
    ROI doesn't work in tens or any amounts, it works with time since the day you purchased them.
    My rule of thumb is simple, if you want to save, save to buy ONE of the cheapest.
    if you're buying, buy as many the most profitable.

I have a lovely litte Excel document here that automatically calculates everything from the amount of properties you input, and a few nice little equations for the incremental increase in land value. I find it very useful, and so do my friends who play DotD. Though some things are set to deal in sets of ten, since ten is love. <3
    http://www.mediafire.com/?bj4c5b57a57s5co
    Last edited by Andr0o; 3rd December 2010 at 10:17. Reason: Ten is love.

This is a great guide.. after some point the gold becomes kind of pointless as there is nothing to buy except more to buy more land. Anyone else found out a reason to horde gold?

You can buy igor's and tigers and other equipment from the bazaar for your army. You can have one gear/mount per army member, up to 500. The gear will help out a lot in Skirmishing.

"Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure." -George Woodberry.

What Trinity said. Having 501 army, the best items from the Bazaar to equip them are:

Brutal Cleaver (ATT), Flanged Mace (DEF), Duelling Dagger (ATT+DEF), Reanimator's Hat (ATT+DEF), Reanimator's Robe (ATT), Knightly Breastplate (DEF), Reanimator's Glove (ATT+DEF), Reanimator's Pants (ATT), Knightly Legplates (DEF), Reanimator's Boots (ATT), Knightly Boots (DEF), Knight's Charger (ATT+DEF), Death Head Signet (ATT+DEF), Igor (ATT+DEF)

If you have equipped your full (501) army with the best gear available and still money left, then you can claim to be rich... Otherwise: BUY MORE LAND

But don't forget to buy Merman Nets, Merman Gladiators and Carnifex's once you reach the ranks in colosseum, they replace Duelling Dagger, Igor, Brutal Cleaver and Flanged Mace.

More info:
    http://www.dawnofthedragons.com/foru...r-PvP-skirmish

HTH,
    -Rene

A massive purchase of Carnifex could definately change a skirmish outcome.
    Concerning Merman Gladiator's I maxed out on those as soon as I reached that rank.
    What is steel compared to the hand that wields it? Look at the strength in your body, the desire in your heart. THAT is Power.

Quote Originally Posted by Prines View Post
    This is a great guide.. after some point the gold becomes kind of pointless as there is nothing to buy except more to buy more land. Anyone else found out a reason to horde gold?
    Pure, unfettered, unchallenged Avarice.

Land buying guide

It serves for the Spendthrift and Prudent APs. If u have java installed, download this link, extract, and adjust amounts (it starts with owning 0 land, buy or sell until values match YOUR price). It only has x10 option, but thatz the best and cheapest result anywayz.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sister of Radiance
    best land to buy is the one from 25k you get 19200 for 1,200,000 which is 25x48=you get the point .

I want to ask aswell is there a limit of buying a single land?again and again.

No, but the price goes up and up, so there is a point to buying other lands, which you can see in any of the spreadsheets circulating.
    I reccomend this one, since my friend and I have been competitively making it better, and you can use it on Google docs.
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CK32z7AF
    Last edited by Andr0o; 10th March 2011 at 10:29. Reason: addition of information

Town Guard
    Your spreadsheet is pretty decent. I personally like mine better. It is a simple spreadsheet using elements i learned when making my metropolis spreadsheet, (the spreadsheet you can't live without, if you play metro you may have heard of it).

The first three columns are almost exactly as they appear, simple information, much of it used by formulas in other columns.

The second image shows that the name of the land that it is most cost effective to buy currently will light up green if its name is shown in cell I4. We will get to that soon enough.

In column D we have the formula that shows the current price of the land, depending on what number you have in column B, conveniently titled number. It automatically calculates the amount. As you may know, the price goes up by 10% of the base price per every single unit of that land purchased.

Column E is simply the base earnings, which doesn't change no matter what amount of the land you own. Column F contains a simple formula that multiplies what you earn per land times the current amount of said land.

At the bottom it contains a formula that adds all of these together to give you how much you earn per hour for all of your land. As you might notice, it even accounts for the 100 gold per hour you earn even if you do not own any land.

Column G contains a formula that divides the current price of the land by how much it earns. This number is important to figuring out what is most cost effective to buy. This number is actually the only thing you normally need to watch, just buy what has the lowest price/earnings. For a small spreadsheet like this it is easy to look at, but for my metro spreadsheet, where there are over 200 things to buy, it is much more difficult, which is why i figured out a nifty way to check things.

At the bottom, you can see the first part of my system, which simply looks through column G and finds the smallest number by the min formula.

Column H simply determines if the number for that row in column G is the minimum by checking it against the result in G15. If it is a match, it shows 0, otherwise it shows 1.

Columns I and J are the last. The formula in Column I checks the results of Column H, if it sees 0, it shows what is written in the cell to the right in column J. If it sees 1, it shows what the formula below determines (or in the case of cell I12, what is just written. Since the cornfield is the cheapest, it is the one that has a 0 in column H. The rest just show what is beneath, which is moved up formula by formula until all of Column I shows castle except for I4.

This is what the conditional formatting in Column A is for. It looks to the results of the table of formulas that show in Cell I4. That is what all of that work in columns H, I, and J, as well as cell G15.

And that is how to build a very effective spreadsheet for calculating the cheapest land to buy. Or you can just download a copy of mine, here:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11...on%20blank.xls

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast