Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!

View Poll Results: Would you spend MORE or LESS PC on Gauntlet if they added a 5k-20k League?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

2 14.29%
  • NO

7 50.00%
  • Bad Idea because... [explain]

0 0%
  • Don't Care

5 35.71%

Thread: Would you spend MORE or LESS PC on Gauntlet if they added a 5k-20k League?

My Platform(s)
    Multiple

Question Would you spend MORE or LESS PC on Gauntlet if they added a 5k-20k League?

YES
    NO
    It's a bad idea because...
    Don't care
    (1:23) Mehmonkie: I still cast my vote for Sycall as mod

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Remember, Geela ish sleepy :3

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Don't spend any now and wouldn't spend any if they added those changes so I suppose I don't care. But it would be nice for those in these lv. brackets.

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Worth mentioning that this would only prove that Whiteman is in a league of his own

Seriously though, when 5PG last goofed and we had 2 Gauntlets - they did report income was down. If there is less competition for the top places it follows that people will need to spend less. Less income will mean that 5PG will need to find it somewhere else.

Disciple of the Traveller
    umm your options should have bee "more" and "less" instead of yes and no....

granted I am taking yes to meant more and no to mean less... but you might want to clear that up if possible.

but I would definitely spend less. this would take about 1/5ish of the competition I have now away. no way to know for certain how many of the high level 4K+ group is actually fighting for the top 200 spots. but know is a few. I generally only really aim for the top 200 for the neck. so this would just make it that much easier for me to coast into the top 200 spots.

the only way I would possible spend more is if this results in me being close to the top 100, but that would only happen if the new leuage was split most in half.

maybe what is needed is a true spenders league if the devs can track it. a league that you can only enter if have spent X amount on the game (measured in PC spent, so could earn way in with kings bounty in time). entering it be voluntary, but a permanent choice. this would hopefully entice the upper level spenders that are in the 4K+ range (lets face it that is the only group this suggestion is aimed at helping out) into moving to this spenders league. it would create the reduction in competition while slow pitting the serious spenders against each other in a separate league. not sure how workable back end or how to make this league enticing enough (is possible this league might have some additional awards as it would be straight not only pay to win, but pay to enter effectively)

the thing is *IF* they were to make a 4th league it has to be aimed as splitting the current 3rd league in half or nearly as much as possible. is level 5K a good choice to do that? but anywhere else you split it, you are just making one highly competitive league with another that going to be almost a cake walk, so why would that generate any more money?

a better way to generate more money is to set up a safe rank system of sorts. ie, the highest rank you reach you will get the rewards for that rank. in my case in the first day I ran up to 29th place. not about to try to defend that rank, again only remotely try to maintain top 200. but what if the game kept track of your highest rank (would have to be only after have reached say gauntlet level 50 or maybe higher to avoid abuse). so sure I for one moment was at 29th place, but even when fall back to like 170th place at the end, I would still get the rewards for having been in 29th place.

then if someone races up to the top spot early on, they would get some reward for it. this would pose some design issues back end I am sure. it also opens up the possibility for multiple SMITEs per league. maybe the magics could be held back for just the final spots, and all the rest be given out if you reach the top 10 spots? would give an incentive to temporarily reach them for the familiars and extra tokens, while still making an incentive to be there at the end for the magics that the familiars boost.

but for me personally as long as only the top 10 spots really get something worth fighting for, I no way I am going to spend any effort trying for them. they are be design pay to win rewards.

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Well ideally, we should be suggesting something that makes 5PG more money but also spreads the SMITE and BoM a bit more.
    So maybe they could give out 100% LD troops for bragging rights but make SMITE top 3 and BoM top 20?

As an F2P I don't plan on buying PC in either of my servers, but I do like the idea of trying to show up the wallet warriors as an f2p.

BSGO does have a giant ship you have to basically pay to rent for 1 hour every few days. Maybe the whales could compete for something flashy like making their nick white on WC?

I'm not sure how to make 5PG more/the same money while being fair to everyone, but I know people who have had BoM or could get it that have been saving their strikes "just in case" we get a 5k+ league.

Maybe we could decouple SMITE/BoM from the top 10 gauntlet spots somehow. What if SMITE/BoM were granted to the 1st 3/15 people per league with FREE strikes, and anyone who spends PC on strikes or the boost get separated to also compete with each other, again per league.

We could have 3-4 leagues with people trying to get the regular SMITE and the spender's SMITE.

And I suppose the 4th league could be 10k+ and the big spenders?

We could do both ideas or just one, but we want more people to have SMITE and BoM.

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    THe biggest problem with these is your guaranteeing that those 5k+ will get something for doing nothing... the bulk of people are below 5K
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

The Immortal Insurgi, 16th Drake Slayer, 12th Demigod. Insurgi's (AP, FS, OS, Max) Raid Damage Table

Quote Originally Posted by 'Beta Nu' View Post
    THe biggest problem with these is your guaranteeing that those 5k+ will get something for doing nothing... the bulk of people are below 5K
    in fairness we don't really know the level break down. have been seeing lots more banners flash across the screen at times lately.

but 5th planet back end could find the exact middle point of the current 2.5K+ league to split it in half in theory. no clue where that break point would actually be. and no one knows if that would split the handful of actual competitive players seeking the top 10 in half or not.

am actually kind of surprised that there is remotely a competition in the under 1K league. am sure a good chunk of it is alts I know, but still how much effort are people going to really put into alts?

but the biggest problem is, 5th planet wants SMITE rare. its the only way to rev up he competition. one maybe workable solution is to let players keep a token version of SMITE after they have gotten it. the version that you get to keep be maybe only 2/3 as good as the real one or something like that. but until you have permanent rewards, there is a large chunk of players that simply has zero interest in competing. I only aim for the top 200 because I know I can almost coast there, at best might have to buy one batch of strikes to be safe. even find spending that much on the thing slightly distasteful to be honest.

another thing that would help encourage people to spend on gauntlet, fix the displayed damage versus actual damage bug that they have been told about for 2 years+ now. is a lot of us that are seeing an average damage that is -1% to -1.5% of the displayed power. is a consistent thing that has scaled with power increase from gauntlet to gauntlet. the spread of damage per strike is something like -6.5% to +3.5% as well, when everyone assumes its supposed to be centered on the displayer power.

we have no real way to test this for them to find what exactly the issue is and they wont even comment on it. starting to think it is one of the passive %boosts to attack/defense/perception not being picked up, which would be real fun to track down.

Disciple of the Traveller Ahlyis's Avatar
    Hiding in a dark corner of your mind - sure is roomy in here!

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Do you honestly think this poll has any meaning at all? As snowstar already pointed out, when we had split Gauntlet in the past, we players all loved it... and 5PG's profits went down. Your poll doesn't ask if we'd like it, so I'll give you that, but it's really just the same thing. And if you're honestly all about trying to increase 5PG's profits, well, we already know this won't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowstar View Post
    maybe what is needed is a true spenders league if the devs can track it. a league that you can only enter if have spent X amount on the game (measured in PC spent, so could earn way in with kings bounty in time).
    This would most likely be done through the PC spent AP badge (or something backend that does the same thing).

The problem is, that is not an accurate measure any more. There's been at least one chest that you could buy that gave you your PC back once you had all the items. At the time it was released it was pointed out that you could use it to artificially increase your PC spent number to whatever number you had the patience to push it to.

The only other option is to track actual purchases, which would then exclude anyone relying on KB's for their PC.
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlyis View Post
    This would most likely be done through the PC spent AP badge (or something backend that does the same thing).

The problem is, that is not an accurate measure any more. There's been at least one chest that you could buy that gave you your PC back once you had all the items. At the time it was released it was pointed out that you could use it to artificially increase your PC spent number to whatever number you had the patience to push it to.

The only other option is to track actual purchases, which would then exclude anyone relying on KB's for their PC.

well if they would make a "spenders" league, personally would think it should be a voluntary but permanent choice to enter it. then even if the PC spent number can be artificially increased it would not be a major issue.

but lets be honest, is anyone that is solely using kings bounties for their PC going to be able to compete for the top 10 spots? know of people that dropped like 2K to 3K PC chasing those spots before.

only problem with it being voluntary is, you might would have to add some extra rewards to it to justify a player wanting to go from the amateur to "professional" league. its not like such a league would not be a straight up in the open pay to win in the first place, as having spent n the game in some fashion is the requirement to get into it. so they could justify some extra goodies to a degree from it.

maybe the smite/bom from this league be permanent? then it nothing different that they could get, just being in this league gets you out of the "renting" of the magics. that alone might encourage some of the whale sharks to spend a bit more to chase them. it would also have the side benefit of slowly increasing the number of smites and boms in the game over time (this I could well see the devs balking at) and moving the serious spenders into a separate league would make the rest of the leagues more competitive, which might encourage some small purchases of strikes as players feel they have a chance at some of the higher spots.

but as said, setting up such a spenders league would pose several design choices up front and possible back end tweaks that might make it really unworkable in reality in the end. but to make any 4th league and not hurt 5th planets income significantly it is going to have to target pulling out the spenders into the new league to maintain the spenders fighting each other. anything else on net is almost certain to reduce their income.

Normally World Chat, just seeing who can get upset.

My Platform(s)
    World Server
    I feel the majority of players who vote 'No' are most likely not going to be in the 5k-20k tier.
    As someone who would be stuck in the highest tier, I have no reason to spend.

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by LordRaven View Post
    I feel the majority of players who vote 'No' are most likely not going to be in the 5k-20k tier.
    I voted no and I will be in the highest tier.
    this would mean I don't have to spend or do anything to be in the top 10-50 would be so much easier for me
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

The Immortal Insurgi, 16th Drake Slayer, 12th Demigod. Insurgi's (AP, FS, OS, Max) Raid Damage Table

Silver Arrow

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    I voted don't care...this is the first gauntlet I have ever spent on, and it will be the last.

Silver Arrow

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    maybe the smite/bom from this league be permanent? then it nothing different that they could get, just being in this league gets you out of the "renting" of the magics. that alone might encourage some of the whale sharks to spend a bit more to chase them. it would also have the side benefit of slowly increasing the number of smites and boms in the game over time (this I could well see the devs balking at) and moving the serious spenders into a separate league would make the rest of the leagues more competitive, which might encourage some small purchases of strikes as players feel they have a chance at some of the higher spots.
    That would work. If the winner already had smite/bom, the magic gets a personal boost for them. No cap on the boosts that can be owned, since you want them to spend to get the magic again.

level 6100+.....

why do you seem to think level has anything to do with this? it is about player psychology and level of competition.

simply put, you reduce the level of competition you are going to reduce 5th planets income from the gauntlet.

consider this, I coasted to a finish of around 150th spot. your suggestion would make it possible for me to likely coast (just spend all of strikes I have til not enough for another level and not purchase any) to a spot in the top 100. I still say no....

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael694 View Post
    That would work. If the winner already had smite/bom, the magic gets a personal boost for them. No cap on the boosts that can be owned, since you want them to spend to get the magic again.
    just make a repeating boost for the familiar the top spot gets. same for the familiar the top 10 spots get. wouldn't need to be a large boost, just a token amount to make for bragging rights really.

of course the real problem would be how to set up a spenders league so that most spenders move to it willingly.

Disciple of the Traveller Ahlyis's Avatar
    Hiding in a dark corner of your mind - sure is roomy in here!

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    just make a repeating boost for the familiar the top spot gets. same for the familiar the top 10 spots get. wouldn't need to be a large boost, just a token amount to make for bragging rights really.

of course the real problem would be how to set up a spenders league so that most spenders move to it willingly.
    Just put the ****ed things up for auction on eBay. Then your power level doesn't even matter, only how much you are willing to spend.
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate

The majority of 5k plus players consider getting top 50 or 100 players unrealistic. You either need to buy tickets for PC or save up extra hits for several gauntlets. See no point in voting here. I am over level 6k and didnt get top 200 this gauntlet. Granted i have 1600 tickets spare but i have been top 200 before so not going to care about a few extra ranks.

Besides that baby bracket was clearly won by an alt. It was considered the cheaper way to get smite.