Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State of the Game: September 2018

Dawn of the Dragons Developer Mouse's Avatar

State of the Game: September 2018

Introduction
    Hello and welcome to the September 2018 State of the Game post! Today we’ll be taking a look at the events and content September has to offer and talking a little bit more about our recent and upcoming server changes. Without further delay, let’s get to it!

Bring out the Holy Water
    September is a month focused on the more devilish and dastardly denizens of Tor’gyyl, that’s right, Demons!

We’ll be kicking off this demonic month with the classic Ryndor Confessions Quest Event. During this Quest Event, Demon Knight minibosses from the Ryndor zone on Nightmare difficulty can drop the Confession crafting ingredient. This ingredient is utilized in multiple recipes including Kaidas (General) and Angel of Empathy (Troop). This event will be available for one week.

The Celestial Dawn chests are also returning this month with a brand new, anti Demon set: Purification. This set will come with a Main Hand, Off Hand, Helm, Chest, Gloves, Pants, Boots, Ring, Mount, Neck, General, Troop, Relic, Siege, Legion and Support item. In addition to this full new set we’re also adding a Necklace for the Celestial Dawn set itself. The Celestial Dawn chests will be available for one week near the early portion of the month.

There will also be World Raids which are Demonic in nature and a brand new Guild Campaign! This will be the first heavily demonic influenced Campaign. Be on the lookout for this Campaign near the end of the month.

Gauntet: Chalua
    The Chalua Gauntlet will return this month! With it comes a brand new necklace for the Gauntlet Shop and boosts for Silvia the Singer and Deathless Leader. The Chalua Gauntlet will return near the early portions of this month, and while Chalua itself is a limited time event the Gauntlet shop is always available from the “Bazaar” and new items added to the Gauntlet shop aren’t removed once the Gauntlet has finished.

New Premium
    A brand new, Premium Unique Troop will be available this month! The troop is still undergoing some tweaks and adjustments but will be priced at 100 Planet Coins and available for two weeks as usual.

Server Adjustments
    As I said in a recent update, we’re deploying major server changes over the next few weeks. Generally speaking you shouldn’t really notice a major change in your day to day gaming, but these adjustments are aimed at improving overall game performance for their respective platforms. Last week we deployed our first change which was focused on the Kongregate platform, and in the weeks ahead we’ll be deploying adjustments for other servers as well.

This should improve server stability at all times and alleviate some of the pressure that comes during World and Event raids. This will also patch up some backend bugs that have existed for a bit now.

Our first change went much quicker than expected but it’s possible that these changes could lead to some extended downtime. We’ll do our best to anticipate this and inform the community if we think it’s going to happen.

Toxicity and the Spirit of the Game
    We’re all human and even the best of us can occasionally say and do things that are less than complimentary to our fellow gamers. This is expected and we obviously have our ToS and other methods of trying to keep things civil for everyone. The goal for us here at 5pg has always been to make Dawn a welcome and comfortable place to hang up your hat and forget about the outside world for a bit and immerse yourself among like minded gamers to slay dragons and become a hero.

That will always be our goal and it’s something we hope the majority of the community shares with us.

There has been a ton of discussion about players destroying raids which a summoner didn’t want destroyed, sharing raids a summoner didn’t want shared, putting magics on that aren’t helping anyone, etc. This isn’t new behavior and I don’t personally feel it reflects the majority of the community I’ve come to know over the past ~7 years, but it’s frustrating for the players these actions impact.

In general none of that is necessarily against our ToS, but in certain cases we do find this to be against the spirit of the game, malicious and generally at the expense of others. Our process for this kind of report (such as: “X person exceeded a damage cap I had set on this raid”) is to review each case and try to have discussions with the offending players where possible and issuing warnings if we deem it absolutely necessary.

Intent is a big thing here. Sometimes you just lapse and somebody asks you not to hit something beyond X cap and it happens anyways, we aren’t about to start going after players doing this but if you’re intentionally disrupting someone else’s game, you’ll get a warning and further action if necessary.

None of this is new policy, none of this should be a surprise, but it’s important that everyone understands our stance on this topic.

It’s really simple: just don’t be a jerk and try to respect your fellow players. Be kind to each other, folks. You often have no context for why someone does the things they do, or why they’re playing Dawn to begin with. Sometimes we all just need a healthy escape from the real world.

Conclusion
    Thanks for taking the time to read the September 2018 State of the Game post! We create a new SoTG every month so be sure to check back next month for another edition.

Until next time, adventurers.

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Mouse, I love ya. I love 5PG. I love DotD.

Your announcement earlier this year that 5PG and the mod team would no longer be moderating profanity or considering profanity and/or deliberate evasion of the profanity filter as a violation of the ToS stands in stark opposition to your comments above. I'm not afraid of swear words, but when 5PG decides not to back up the player moderator team...then those mods lose what little power they have. On the other side of that coin, we have seen some pretty egregious malfeasance by some mods, ie deliberate and explicit favoritism to players that they share a guild with.

In the spirit of addressing Toxicity and the Spirit of the Game, I think that 5PG really needs to reevaluate the role that the player mod team has, and their duties and obligations.

Love you,
    t

My Platform(s)
    World Server
    Would you get prem or celestial dawn, mouse?

Hope there is a Demon (and overdue dragon) worth hitting like Gloom now. So the investment in set isnt going to be in vain like last year. Dont make them Deadly raid if your policy is to give them bad return possible.

And overdue perception item update (and phase 2... i guess update is no update)

btw, thanks for address toxicity issue.

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Oshi View Post
    Definitely prem - ced set/purification probably costs 3-4x
    in saucy day and in noodly night, let flavor erupt from every bite
    to dance and jive, all hot and sweaty, taste the power of mom's spaghetti

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by Oshi View Post
    Not Mouse, but in general Premiums have longer viability. Clara being a notable exception although she still seems to land in my legions

Disciple of the Traveller Ahlyis's Avatar
    Hiding in a dark corner of your mind - sure is roomy in here!

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Much ado about nothing.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiel View Post
    btw, thanks for address toxicity issue.

How so? He didn't really say ANYTHING there. Nothing specific. Nothing strong. Just general platitudes and such.

I still say this SotG post was pretty much nothing.
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Mouse change ToS to old pls if u dont want to see more of us leaving No alts No Multisummon No cheating give us back old Banhammer if u want to keep us here since for now we have cheaters and bots.

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Not to be a negative Nancy but... still no comment about the Kasan downtime last week? A downtime that, from what I understand, went a couple of hours into the teams workday. Not even the standard 'please be quiet' bribe that we always used to get when the servers went down randomly in the olden days.
    While I'm slightly passive aggressive; my runesmith section in the citadel is still locked. 2 weeks after I sent a ticket in.

The new necklace in gauntlet sounds possibly interesting as well as the new neck in celestial.

Normally World Chat, just seeing who can get upset.

My Platform(s)
    World Server
    Toxicity TL;DR: As the biggest offender on Kasan, the one who had over-hit and nuked Glooms and Deadlies, would say "It isn't against ToS".

Yea, over-hitting raids and nuking them isn't against ToS, but when you only do this for Raider's Crown, there is an issue. Even more of an issue when you quit the game the moment the biggest alt-loaded Guild kicks you [AKA 20+ Glooms in private, plus deadlies] and that causes you to blame their guild leader and, some how, me of all people, that is a bit of an issue. When a crown is enough reason to nuke and over-hit raids just to obtain it or enough to fully quit that game past the level of Demigod when you are removed from a large supply of raids to over-hit, that is pretty damaging.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneBox View Post
    Not to be a negative Nancy but... still no comment about the Kasan downtime last week? A downtime that, from what I understand, went a couple of hours into the teams workday. Not even the standard 'please be quiet' bribe that we always used to get when the servers went down randomly in the olden days.
    We were down for a total of 6 Hours. This needs to be addressed.

And on a final note, can we PLEASE get a form of direct purchase for at LEAST the necks brought around due to Dawni chests? Of all the items crafted from Dawni Coins, the mount and legion [Some times the Relic] are the only 'must-haves', so can we at least get the necks for a direct purchase of PC? If anything, you can charge the total coin-cost if the player had perfect RNG [Or round it to some number within some reason]. I would be more than willing to straight-out buy the neck while having to gamble to craft everything else. I just want my auto-level necks.

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Thanks for the update. Will any of the WRs have updated tiers?

Since November is right around the corner, I was wondering if Echoes of Invasion and Nightmare Queen could be added to the rotation this year. Its been a while since those WRs have run. Maybe Captain Gnarlhorn as well when it makes sense thematically.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    There has been a ton of discussion about players destroying raids which a summoner didn’t want destroyed, sharing raids a summoner didn’t want shared, putting magics on that aren’t helping anyone, etc. This isn’t new behavior and I don’t personally feel it reflects the majority of the community I’ve come to know over the past ~7 years, but it’s frustrating for the players these actions impact.
    I agree that most people in general are great and that is one of the top factors that has kept the game running for so long. As far as people destroying raids, it has gotten pretty crazy on Kong. There used to be 5 or so Glooms on public all the time and now theres 1 or none since most of the Glooms are private. Although I understand that private raids are not bad, it hurts other people when that is the case for most raids. I also dont think that people who invested money should be limited on what they can hit just because there is a shortage of good raids. The level of toxicity right now is higher than the norm due to this.

Part of the issue is that theres only 1 raid that is worthwhile for SP farming so everyone is scrambling to hit that one target. Not sure why there is one raid with disproportionately higher rewards than all the other raids but hopefully that changes soon.

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Gauntlet is coming.... i wonder if COUNCH OF COURAGE BONUS FOR TROOPS AND GENERALS will be working on BATTALION till there.... thnx !!!

Normally World Chat, just seeing who can get upset.

My Platform(s)
    World Server
    Quote Originally Posted by bicho2 View Post
    I agree that most people in general are great and that is one of the top factors that has kept the game running for so long. As far as people destroying raids, it has gotten pretty crazy on Kong. There used to be 5 or so Glooms on public all the time and now theres 1 or none since most of the Glooms are private. Although I understand that private raids are not bad, it hurts other people when that is the case for most raids. I also dont think that people who invested money should be limited on what they can hit just because there is a shortage of good raids. The level of toxicity right now is higher than the norm due to this.

Part of the issue is that theres only 1 raid that is worthwhile for SP farming so everyone is scrambling to hit that one target. Not sure why there is one raid with disproportionately higher rewards than all the other raids but hopefully that changes soon.
    Easiest Solution to this, within reason, is to just make 10+ guilds filled with nothing but alts that can summon Gloom. Of course, that would require everyone working together so it would be rather hard.

The easiest solution, without reason, is to just remove the CD on Gloom. But we all know the chaos that would create. Sad when the best SP raid is decimated so swiftly that very few people can even hit it.

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by bicho2 View Post
    there is 4 worth farming for SP
    People only hit Gloom because most are Energy heavy builds and can't Hit the stam ones..
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

The Immortal Insurgi, 16th Drake Slayer, 12th Demigod. Insurgi's (AP, FS, OS, Max) Raid Damage Table

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Beta Nu' View Post
    there is 4 worth farming for SP
    People only hit Gloom because most are Energy heavy builds and can't Hit the stam ones..
    What's the 4th one after Qwyngyl and Spearman?
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlyis View Post
    What's the 4th one after Qwyngyl and Spearman?
    Zran's are also good for SP
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

The Immortal Insurgi, 16th Drake Slayer, 12th Demigod. Insurgi's (AP, FS, OS, Max) Raid Damage Table

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Beta Nu' View Post
    Zran's are also good for SP
    Hmm.

I don't hit them. The fewer magics and "bad" tags makes the effort to reach the higher tiers far more "work" than is worthwhile for me. But if others are happy with the returns and don't mind the magics/race tags then who am I to argue?

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlyis View Post
    Hmm.

I don't hit them. The fewer magics and "bad" tags makes the effort to reach the higher tiers far more "work" than is worthwhile for me. But if others are happy with the returns and don't mind the magics/race tags then who am I to argue?
    Zrans have 2 haste necks so 20% haste doesn't seem bad and with the Beastman Magic in bazaar being a a great magic I don't have much trouble hitting them.

Disciple of the Traveller
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolinho View Post
    Gauntlet is coming.... i wonder if COUNCH OF COURAGE BONUS FOR TROOPS AND GENERALS will be working on BATTALION till there.... thnx !!!
    considering I have had an issues where the displayed power and my actual average damage is 1.5% lower and they wont even try to explain why that is to me, don't hold your breath too much. [ for what it is worth, the boost from the counch is actually there its just not diplayed. wasn't able to try to figure out if the boost is right or not, but there definitely is a boost using. ended up with -1%ish short fall using it compared to the normal -1.5% short fall so even it can't over come the other issue]

really you would think someone pointing on a consistent difference in actual damage versus displayed power well over 2 years wouldn't warrant at least a response. at this point even just to tell me to shut up about it if nothing else since they wont deal with it.

but next gauntlet try it, keep track of your average damage per gauntlet level (provided you do go past the ones that take 10 strikes to kill, but even at just 10 strikes per level you notice this if you sum up a few levels). and compare it to the displayed battalion power. the average for me has been -1.5% of the displayed power for over 2 years now. this is consistent and scales over time so it is not just a single unit messing up as even the scaling units all scale in different rates over time. a few others have taken the time to track their numbers and found similar results. but is no way on the player side to nail down what is causing it without spending money.

I suspect it is somehow tied to if the units are actually in your active legion or not for ones that get boosts as this has been the case with a few other items. ephimet had that issue at first were he had to be in the legion and the battalion for the boost to armaments to work. so something could still be pulling a number from the legion instead of the battalion in summing up the displayed power possibly or doing that for the actual damage calculation.

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Still waiting for a SoTG that will address a solution for hitting raids faster, by that i mean dumping resources faster.
    the higher the raid hp goes, the more annoying it is, for me, to hit and just stare at it .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast