Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!

Thread: On the awfulness of Rented Ghosts Quest Event

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds

On the awfulness of Rented Ghosts Quest Event

For a while the rented ghosts quest event was tied with the Yule Present Bearer as the worst, most frustrating, most pointless quest event. The drop rates are abysmal, and the rewards are paltry. Now it is fully in last place - why? Because we can at least get the craftables for the Yule event from a raid now. Devs - how about a raid that drops the rented ghosts so we can make incremental progress throughout the year rather than bashing away at z5 for a week.

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Perhaps: A.) modifying the Underworld raid to use SP craftable to also make rented ghosts, B.) a WR that drops them both guaranteed loot (with relatively even distribution) and on-hit chance, C.) a PC General/troop/etc. that has chance to drop a rented ghost, or D1.) modifying the drop rate of these rented ghosts and/or D.2) (relating to the last one) making them a permanent chance to drop in Zone 5 during and not during the event would be extremely helpful. IF it was for a legendary, then at least 1.) make the rented ghosts permanent, 2.) bought in Bazaar with gold in game instead of PC, or 3.) make it at least somewhat obtainable instead of spending millions and millions of energy for a.) terrible stuff or b.) getting all but of one type of droppable (e.g.: Rented Human Ghost) due to extremely abysmal drop rates that is Zone 5 especially when other quest events are competing at the same time (e.g.: Ghostly Alchemist mini-boss, hooves for Jack's Steeds on regular mini-bosses, etc.).

Disciple of the Traveller
    Quote Originally Posted by blub View Post
    For a while the rented ghosts quest event was tied with the Yule Present Bearer as the worst, most frustrating, most pointless quest event. The drop rates are abysmal, and the rewards are paltry. Now it is fully in last place - why? Because we can at least get the craftables for the Yule event from a raid now. Devs - how about a raid that drops the rented ghosts so we can make incremental progress throughout the year rather than bashing away at z5 for a week.
    or at least make it a week that z5 doesn't have some other special drop going to further limit the chances of the rented ghosts dropping.

the best solution would be to let the ghosts stay at near mythic rates the year round and just make the only semi mythic during Halloween.

Sargaash the Mighty equal Ahlyis's Avatar
    Hiding in a dark corner of your mind - sure is roomy in here!

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    As bad as it is, I still think Mathala's is worse. True, Mathala's is available year-round and isn't a special event... but Mathala's is still worse!
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

I question why the 4 rented ghosts don't have equal drop rate.
    I currently have 14/45/53/80 of the leased ghosts with the human ghosts dropping least.
    Must be more than just poor RNG for the human ghost to drop almost 6 times less than the Orc ghost
    Every craft requires an equal number of the 4 ghosts so there is no point to having an uneven drop rate.
    Or make it so you can craft I ghost into another

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    I love quest events, and this is still a terrible stinker.

Golden Garden Monk
    The rate is horrid they also forced us to find vexanna on top of ghostly alchemist i mean come on devs what the literal ****.

Quote Originally Posted by ogodno View Post
    The rate is horrid they also forced us to find vexanna on top of ghostly alchemist i mean come on devs what the literal ****.
    vexxana is just for the new quest zone, it is not part of the quest event

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Ridiculous! Drop rates for ghosts is awful. Get rid of other drops to increase ghost drop rates? No, why do that. Boost I'll get, but legion not even as good as one I'm using. Bad job on this quest event. Again.

World Mender

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    At this point, you need 320 of EACH rented ghost to make everything. That's 1280...at 3 per drop, that's 428 drops minimum, at something like 3k energy per drop (Being generous, of course)...that's 1.3 million energy. Burning 20k energy a level (again, generous), that's 63 levels...MINIMUM. In reality, the drops don't happen evenly, requiring multiple times this amount!

This event gets worse and worse every time, because it requires more and more effort (even more rented ghosts) every time it comes out just to achieve the same level of rewards as last time, unless you're one of the few who actually got everything previously.

If anyone says 'you don't need to get everything at once', I point out the obvious fact that if you don't, you're just going to be even further behind for the next set of items!

Also, the general basically requires all of her boosts to be useful, and the legion likewise requires being upgraded to be useful (and even then isn't actually useful!)

Sister of Radiance

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    The drop rates are bull****! There i said it.

Every year this comes up in the forums, the drop rates need to increase for the ghosts but just like every year it'll fall on deaf ears!

Devs are so far out of touch it's becoming a joke! Your game is supposed to be fun and well this quest event is far beyond that. Know what happens when people stop having fun? They leave, they find something else to play that is enjoyable. I know you don't want people getting it all the 1st hour it comes out (whats the big deal if they do anyway) but at this rate you wont even in a week!

Oh and GriffonSpade you are being extremely generous with your calculations

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Not only are the drops at a low rate, it's mixed with the Ghostly Alchemist, mask and hoof drops that drop the rate even further.

Golden Garden Monk
    I'm aware snow but if your ancy like i am for that much needed boost (haven't played in awhile) it sucks also got mathala almost as soon as she came out.

Golden Garden Monk
    Quote Originally Posted by paully View Post
    The drop rates are bull****! There i said it.

Every year this comes up in the forums, the drop rates need to increase for the ghosts but just like every year it'll fall on deaf ears!

Devs are so far out of touch it's becoming a joke! Your game is supposed to be fun and well this quest event is far beyond that. Know what happens when people stop having fun? They leave, they find something else to play that is enjoyable. I know you don't want people getting it all the 1st hour it comes out (whats the big deal if they do anyway) but at this rate you wont even in a week!

Oh and GriffonSpade you are being extremely generous with your calculations
    It's because it doesn't garner enough attention here its overlooked as passable.

Silver Arrow

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    I'm at 1900 days and just now got all the ghosts to craft verna, whom I'll never use and never boost. I also got an odd balance of ghosts, got twice as much on the last two as the first two. If I spent my energy on ddrak instead of questing I would of had millions of sp. Therein lies the problem with virtually all questing; returns are poor, even with significant amounts of perception. Even when its more enticing with a legendary item, it is still questionable. Hell, they even made Vexanna a requirement to do more questing probably because very few people crafted her to begin with. That's not a problem you double down on to get players to engage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jynx980 View Post
    I'm at 1900 days and just now got all the ghosts to craft verna, whom I'll never use and never boost. I also got an odd balance of ghosts, got twice as much on the last two as the first two. If I spent my energy on ddrak instead of questing I would of had millions of sp. Therein lies the problem with virtually all questing; returns are poor, even with significant amounts of perception. Even when its more enticing with a legendary item, it is still questionable. Hell, they even made Vexanna a requirement to do more questing probably because very few people crafted her to begin with. That's not a problem you double down on to get players to engage.
    well there is another way they could fix the ghost event and in theory encourage players to boost stats. for the rented ghost event, add the ghosts as possible perception drops at slowly increasing rates the more perception you have. then at least on paper there is a means for a player to ease the pain of the event.

I didnt even bother trying as the rates turned out to be so low

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Takes a shotgun to this thread as it just won't die! oh wait - now, I'm part of the problem!

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain Michael Sherratt View Post
    I didnt even bother trying as the rates turned out to be so low

I should have learned from this. ^^

World Mender

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Here's my data.

z5a1(6385e) drops(x3):
    1/2/3/3/2/4/0/1/4/1//(21)