Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Game: October 2017

Dawn of the Dragons Developer Mouse's Avatar

State of the Game: October 2017

Introduction
    Welcome to the October State of the Game post! Let the (pumpkin) spice flow as jack o’ lanterns and ghastly ghouls come to greet us. Today we’ll be talking about what you can expect this month and address some concerns regarding guild raid and campaign summons.

Without further delay, let’s get to it!

Masks of Yesteryear
    With October comes spooky masks made in the likeness of vile creatures and mighty heroes! The Halloween masks from previous year(s) shall be returning along with the addition of four brand new masks.

Some of these are utilized in recipes and some just make for delightful vanity set items. Either way be sure to get them quick as they’ll be gone again with the first build of November (Nov. 3rd).

No Pumpkin Contest
    In previous years we’ve run a pumpkin (or any sort of carving) contest in the forums. The winner of this contest would result in a familiar made in that item’s likeness which would later be added to the game. While this has been fun we’re choosing not to move forward with it this year.

There have often been logistical concerns and other problems that have resulted in delayed releases of the familiar along with a plethora of other issues. While there will be no contest for Halloween we’re still looking at other contest ideas that we can run at other points in the year; so don’t take this announcement as “no contests of any kind in the future.”

We’re also going to have a Halloween themed familiar released this month which will be acquirable by anybody who spends a bit of time to do so.

Jack’s Steed: End of an Era
    Jack’s steed has been a progressively upgraded item in the game for several years now. And while this has proven to be a fun implementation, we truly feel we’ve beaten the horse to a bloody pulp at this stage and will not be implementing a new version this year. This also gives players a chance to “catch up” and get their mount a little easier if they didn’t have it yet.

However! While Jack’s steed may be at an end we’re introducing a new Legendary item this year which will start a new tradition of upgrades. This item will not be added with the first build but will instead come later in the month. The intention is to make this item something which can be upgraded in future Halloween events just like Jack’s steed was.

To go a little deeper into this: while we really like the tradition of Jack’s steed it has just gotten to the point where we don’t feel it’s exciting to continue making these year after year and want to get a new tradition going. We feel this will resonate with much of the community and be a breath of fresh air - we did try to work on a new version of Jack’s steed initially but it felt like an obligation and lost a lot of the luster. Something new will help October feel fresher and we feel will add more to the game overall.

In the works: Treasure Hunts
    This is likely something we won’t finish up in time for October but we wanted to let you know that we’re actively working on a new treasure hunt for Dawn! Treasure Hunts have brought a lot of community interaction and joy over the years and it’s something we haven’t done as often in recent history. While I don’t have a release date for you at this time I’ve seen it come up both in the forums and chat in recent history and wanted to let you know that it’s on our list.

New Mini Zone
    October also means a brand new Mini Zone! Mini Zones are single area zones with a plethora of rewards and a new boss. This zone will be thematically tied to Halloween but it will be available year ‘round.

This zone is deep in development so I don’t have any other details to share at this time, but we’re trying to take a better “staying power” approach to this zone to give players a little more reason to farm it for longer. We’re excited to continue this tradition and look forward to getting this into your hands!

October Raids and Events
    There will be new player summonable raids this month (including some Elite raids). In addition to this you can expect the following raids and events to occur throughout the month:
    • Dragon of the Dead (Event Raid)
    • Zombie Horde (Event Raid)
    • Castle Mandrake I, II, III and IV (Event Raids)
    • Hecate’s Revenge (World Raid)
    • Doomglare (Limited Time Guild Raid)
    • Clockwork Giant (Limited Time Guild Raid)
    • Soldier Ants (Limited Time Guild Raid)
    • Batiatus’ Elite Gladiators (Limited Time Guild Raid)
    • Rented Ghosts (Quest Event)
    • Ghostly Alchemist (Quest Event)

The goal is to infuse the month with a mixture of old events alongside new permanent raids and items that can be utilized throughout the year.

Multiple Summons: Vathik and Campaigns
    This has come up quite a bit in my personal inbox so addressing it via SoTG seems prudent at this stage.

The short of it: “clever” guilds and players can summon multiple Vathik raids and Campaigns at the same time resulting (especially for Vathik) in higher than intended gains. That said, we haven’t taken action against players for this and haven’t made any plans to.

Why we’re not making changes
    This is a problem that has existed within Dawn since guilds were first introduced. It just happens that now it matters because Vathik and Campaigns exist. This is something the tech team has looked into multiple times and explored a couple of potential fixes.

While some possible fixes do exist for this they would require a significant amount of tech work to implement and could come at the cost of usability and convenience within the guild page specifically with summoning guild raids.

In this instance we’ve had to really weigh out: is this an issue worth investing our time and resources into? Is this an issue that is worth possibly inconveniencing other parts of the game to maybe fix? And, is this really an issue to begin with?

While it certainly does result in some unintended things like multiple Vathiks in quick succession, our findings show that it doesn’t have a significant impact on the game’s health in a negative fashion. With all of this in mind we really can’t justify the time and resources to make changes to the summoning system for this.

What this means for the future?
    We’re taking a closer look at the Campaign summon system and Vathik and investigating possible adjustments. We haven’t made any final decisions but we’re currently looking at things such as cooldown adjustments for example. Right now this isn’t an immediate priority on our plate but that doesn’t mean we aren’t looking into it.

Hopefully this adequately explains our stance on this topic and provides some clarity on our decisions.

Closing
    Thank you for reading the October 2017 State of the Game Post! Be sure to check back next month for another edition.

Until next time, adventurers!

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Bored much for new good additions?

Silver Arrow

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    So I guess this means there is no reason to stockpile Jack's, Jack Revenge's, etc?

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    No mention of raids dying too fast yet again. Just a bunch of cash grabs instead of acknowledging actual game issues. Did EA buy you guys out?

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    The short of it: “clever” guilds and players can summon multiple Vathik raids and Campaigns at the same time resulting (especially for Vathik) in higher than intended gains. That said, we haven’t taken action against players for this and haven’t made any plans to. - yeah we know how to do it, but haven't done it as promised.

Leader of Kronos II

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Well that was...short.

I completely misunderstood where you were going with the "multiple Vathiks and campaigns" comment at first. At first, I was really excited, because this would be a great option for players. And then you started talking about "not taking action against players" that have to hop guilds to manage this. That's...awful. Having multiple camps and Vathiks up is a great idea. It's not like Vathik drops anything. Same with camps--other than MaMs, I can't think of any other camps that are at risk of farming for drops.

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    World Server
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegfarms View Post
    No mention of raids dying too fast yet again. Just a bunch of cash grabs instead of acknowledging actual game issues. Did EA buy you guys out?
    Agree. A simple magic that would limit the dmg done to a raid by a cap of 5% (or FS, for raids with max 10 ppl) would do the trick...

Silver Arrow

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehh View Post
    Agree. A simple magic that would limit the dmg done to a raid by a cap of 5% (or FS, for raids with max 10 ppl) would do the trick...
    if it's a magic it will take grimoire slot and you know how ppl love to troll the raids with their guilters more like a option when you click summon you can choose the max damage by player to be AP,FS or ML. Also imagine someone putting this magic on a deadly by mistake or intentionally just to see others reactions it will be the end of public raiding

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    World Server
    Quote Originally Posted by Than View Post
    Well that was...short.

Same with camps--other than MaMs, I can't think of any other camps that are at risk of farming for drops.

Covetous Cavern drops potion satchels, with it sometimes being possible to get 24-32 satchels at a time. I don't think it's an issue, but it is something worth farming.

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    October is always my favorite month of dotd. Excited for this year's halloween themed mini-zone.
    ~Shakezoola ~ ~Immortal~ ~Kronos II~

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    I am looking forward to this month and the new/old events!

I like that there will be a new legendary rather than another Jack upgrade.

Yay, more treasure hunts! Yay, new mini-zone!

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Regaris View Post
    Covetous Cavern drops potion satchels, with it sometimes being possible to get 24-32 satchels at a time. I don't think it's an issue, but it is something worth farming.
    We've seen 54 satchels loot

And back regarding to Vathik, by now everyone should be able to craft both items already or getting very close to it if guild didn't used BoM, Smite or ES at the end.

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    It would be very much appreciated - if during say like the rented ghost type events that all crafts associated thereto (new and old) be put in the new tab for the duration of said event. For example this week's confession would have included the troop craft too. It is just nice to have ready access to these crafts to make educated crafting and time investment decisions (especially for new players or those who may have come back to the game).

Sargaash the Mighty equal Ahlyis's Avatar
    Hiding in a dark corner of your mind - sure is roomy in here!

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmitee View Post
    if it's a magic it will take grimoire slot and you know how ppl love to troll the raids with their guilters... Also imagine someone putting this magic on a deadly by mistake or intentionally just to see others reactions it will be the end of public raiding
    How would this magic be any different from any other magic as far as trolls go? Whether they put this or Lesser Poison onto a Deadly doesn't really matter, does it?
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlyis View Post
    How would this magic be any different from any other magic as far as trolls go? Whether they put this or Lesser Poison onto a Deadly doesn't really matter, does it?
    Lesser poison doesn't limit damage from one person to 5%

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Hey look everyone, it's the Workshop/Perc2.0 version of the SotG. All vague promises for the future with no real details. (Fair warning, I'm quite unimpressed with this SotG and am about to let you all know about it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Masks of Yesteryear
    With October comes spooky masks made in the likeness of vile creatures and mighty heroes! The Halloween masks from previous year(s) shall be returning along with the addition of four brand new masks.

Some of these are utilized in recipes and some just make for delightful vanity set items. Either way be sure to get them quick as they’ll be gone again with the first build of November (Nov. 3rd).
    4 vanity masks with no purpose. Not exactly burning content.

No Pumpkin Contest
    We know you liked it, but it was actual work for us, so we're scrapping it. We'll just slap in a generic familiar at some point this month to make up for it instead.

Jack’s Steed: End of an Era
    Hahaha. We know a lot of you saved up to be ready for this event this year... so we're scrapping it. We'll throw out something else at some point this month instead, promise.

In the works: Treasure Hunts
    The ultimate Workshop/Perc2.0 promise!

New Mini Zone
    This isn't ready yet, so I cannot give you any details. We've only had a year to prepare for it, give us a break. We'll get something out before the month ends, promise!

October Raids and Events
    We'll give you one or two new raids (like we do pretty much every month) along with rerunning a bunch of old events (like we do pretty much every month), but at least we're putting a new spin on the description this month. That's something, right?

Multiple Summons: Vathik and Campaigns
    Yeah, we know some players are guild hopping and getting loot from multiple camps and Vathiks. Meh, whatever. It's not worth it to try to do anything about it, so go ahead if that's what floats your boat. We don't care. (We'll say we do, but we don't.)

Closing
    Thank you for reading the October 2017 State of the Game Post! Be sure to check back next month for another edition.

Until next time, adventurers!
    Thank you for being distracted by the pretty lights and fancy words. We don't really have anything new or special planned for this month, but this SotG should at least keep you all mostly quiet. See you next SotG where we do the same thing for November.
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by haidao0923 View Post
    Lesser poison doesn't limit damage from one person to 5%
    And that matters on Deadlies... why?

EDIT: Unless you think it means 5% overall, which is not how the magic has been described in pretty much all of the many suggestion threads for it. The magic limits to 5% (or FS or whatever) per hit, not total.

Town Guard
    im afraid that answer is not good enough, you still have not explicitly said whether we can use this "clever" method, only you have not punished and do not intend to. You want to fix it but cannot do so any time soon. Unless you tell us Please dont do it, you are ok with it happening.

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlyis View Post
    [B][COLOR=red]

Yeah, we know some players are guild hopping and getting loot from multiple camps and Vathiks. Meh, whatever. It's not worth it to try to do anything about it, so go ahead if that's what floats your boat. We don't care. (We'll say we do, but we don't.)
    heh this is in reference to being able to summon up to 10 vathiks in your own guild. Old Exploit they seem to not be bothered about now... though was a few Banned for it when Rahl came out and it was done
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

The Immortal Insurgi, 16th Drake Slayer, 12th Demigod. Insurgi's (AP, FS, OS, Max) Raid Damage Table

Sargaash the Mighty equal
    You forgot about PvP.

Again.
    If you want to "ignore" someone on the forum just click their name, click profile, and beneath their avatar you'll see an ignore link. Comes in really handy at times when you don't want to deal with that certain someone's constant negativity.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast