Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: State of the Game: September 2017

Mouse are there any plans of bringing the Dreaming Lotheri from mobile to web ?

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Lotheri would make a good 8th anniversary prem. It's a legendary name and it wouldn't be broken in an environment that already has Wormie.

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    broken? Lotheri has 30% mimic on everything iirc, so, atm she's much weaker than Tuss (closer to Jack and Houndmaster than him) - though i still hope things will get better for non-mount procs some day.

Sargaash the Mighty equal
    Mouse, any chance to experiment next gauntlet by separating the rewards by server? Meaning one set per? If only to see if it increases event revenue. I don't think three smites per server is really all that much to ask.
    If you want to "ignore" someone on the forum just click their name, click profile, and beneath their avatar you'll see an ignore link. Comes in really handy at times when you don't want to deal with that certain someone's constant negativity.

Sargaash the Mighty equal Ahlyis's Avatar
    Hiding in a dark corner of your mind - sure is roomy in here!

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoBandito View Post
    Mouse, any chance to experiment next gauntlet by separating the rewards by server? Meaning one set per? If only to see if it increases event revenue. I don't think three smites per server is really all that much to ask.
    They already tried it. don't you remember? 6 months ago Gauntlet was split to 2 groups with FB and WS paired along with NAG and Kong paired. We all said we loved it and asked for it again, we didn't get it. Obviously the revenue generated from splitting into 2 groups wasn't comparable to the revenue generated from just 1 group with all servers.

Given that, there's no reason to believe splitting even further would do anything but lower the revenue even further. And since Gauntlet is quite obviously designed as a cash cow, there's no way we'll get individual server rewards. I'd love to have it just like you, but it just aint gonna happen.
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

Disciple of the Traveller
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlyis View Post
    They already tried it. don't you remember? 6 months ago Gauntlet was split to 2 groups with FB and WS paired along with NAG and Kong paired. We all said we loved it and asked for it again, we didn't get it. Obviously the revenue generated from splitting into 2 groups wasn't comparable to the revenue generated from just 1 group with all servers.

Given that, there's no reason to believe splitting even further would do anything but lower the revenue even further. And since Gauntlet is quite obviously designed as a cash cow, there's no way we'll get individual server rewards. I'd love to have it just like you, but it just aint gonna happen.
    true. if it was to get server by server, the two smaller ones would almost be giving anyone that even tried one of the top 500 spot rewards.

but splitting it into two groups work really well. and I suspect the complaint here stems from how many have now lost the goodies they got from that previous split gauntlet.

but he does have a bit of a point. it might be a bit of a coding headache, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if the top player on each server did get smite at least. maybe require that the 2nd and 3rd places at least get BoM as well. that would be a fix that might both encourage competition (yeah we not competing here at all are we even though players have lost to other players now...) as the same time as spread out the shinnies a bit.

each server would be ensured to get 3 smites and 6 Boms that way. while at the same time there is still a need to get to the top spots as to get the full benefit from smite you need the familiar from the top spot as well.

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    my preferable (sort of) solution: make gauntlet even more frequent :) like.. every 3-4 weeks? i love it so much! and it's not only about gain, i find it much more exciting that rst of the game atm.

but seriously, how about experimenting with new tier - top3? rewards the same as top10 but with smite (general on Karaduchi), and some boost ,weight' moved from owning smite to aureate familiar.
    it's not that people spend all that money just for owning smite, right? there are differend reasons to go for 1st place.. or not?

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by czaka View Post
    my preferable (sort of) solution: make gauntlet even more frequent like.. every 3-4 weeks? i love it so much! and it's not only about gain, i find it much more exciting that rst of the game atm.

but seriously, how about experimenting with new tier - top3? rewards the same as top10 but with smite (general on Karaduchi), and some boost ,weight' moved from owning smite to aureate familiar.
    it's not that people spend all that money just for owning smite, right? there are differend reasons to go for 1st place.. or not?
    For the first two Gaunt's I do not see much reason to go for number one other than smite and possibly the little boost from the familiar.

One of the other gauntlets has the little uber troop/gen (I don't remember), which gets people fighting for him and now the jewels.
    Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate

Because it wasn't intended. That's why they won't do it again.

Sargaash the Mighty equal

Maybe, but I'm going to keep asking for it. Might have to get back on the crown thing too . . .
    If you want to "ignore" someone on the forum just click their name, click profile, and beneath their avatar you'll see an ignore link. Comes in really handy at times when you don't want to deal with that certain someone's constant negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by TitoBandito View Post
    Maybe, but I'm going to keep asking for it. Might have to get back on the crown thing too . . .
    the smallest server has barely 1K total active players. given that small a player pool it would mean pretty much anyone that remotely tried would be I the top 500. pretty much would defeat the point of a player competing against player event once the numbers get too low....

Quote Originally Posted by Kegfarms View Post
    actually we don't know that for 100% for sure. most of us assume it was a glitch but never know.

Sargaash the Mighty equal Ahlyis's Avatar
    Hiding in a dark corner of your mind - sure is roomy in here!

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    I didn't know you could read their minds! Wow, that's impressive.

Intended or accidental, doesn't change anything about what I said. They already tried it. Even if it wasn't on purpose, if it had made more money than the all in one, they would have found a way to "accidentally" do it again.
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstar View Post
    actually we don't know that for 100% for sure. most of us assume it was a glitch but never know.
    I didn't know you could read their minds! Wow, that's impressive.

Intended or accidental, doesn't change anything about what I said. They already tried it. Even if it wasn't on purpose, if it had made more money than the all in one, they would have found a way to "accidentally" do it again.
    Mouse said it was unintentional

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Actually we do since they said so when people were talking about the numbers being wrong.

Actually we do since they said so when people were talking about the numbers being wrong.
    curious do you know the difference between a feature and a "feature" in coding design?

must be interesting world were you trust everything thing they say without question. the thing is what is better to say, that it was intentional but they could already tell it would never work out on their end or to deny it was intended to avoid players expecting it to happen again (which even with the denial we have players asking for it....). don't for a second think they don't have a PR person that they run most official comments to us through and at times filter things.

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    curious do you know the difference between a feature and a "feature" in coding design?

must be interesting world were you trust everything thing they say without question. the thing is what is better to say, that it was intentional but they could already tell it would never work out on their end or to deny it was intended to avoid players expecting it to happen again (which even with the denial we have players asking for it....). don't for a second think they don't have a PR person that they run most official comments to us through and at times filter things.
    Given the majority of their interactions, they need a better PR guy. However, Mouse has done much better in recent weeks.
    Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate

That has to be one of the worst uses of the straw man fallacy I have ever seen.

Dawn of the Dragons Developer Mouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynx980
    Consider doing this with other magics as well. EOTW, sip, even something like feeding frenzy could use a boost. The recent pc magics seem to run in the 65-85% average damage range and eotw and sip are 10 and 12%. Making it to level 2500 and 5000 to receive a magic you will never use is underwhelming.
    Agreed that these “milestone” magics are pretty underwhelming right now. We’ve talked about buffing them similarly to how we’ve buffed SMITE and BoM or introducing a magic synergy that greatly benefits from owning and/or casting them.

People put a lot of time into getting these and it’s such a disappointment to finally acquire these Magics and then have absolutely no good reason to use them. Either way: agreed they’re in a poor state and we should look at improvements for them sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegfarms
    It sucks anyway. They nerfed it from the mobile version.
    Mobile
    Attack: 1,000
    Defense: 1,000
    Riding Dirty: 7% Chance for 50,000 bonus damage; Extra 1,000 damage for each unique mount owned; Gains 15 attack and defense for each unique mount owned; Whenever a mount procs Worm-Lord mimics 30% of that damage plus an additional 1% for every 3 unique mounts owned

Web
    Attack: 5,000
    Defense: 5,000
    Riding Dirty: 12% chance to deal 200,000 damage; Extra 10,000 damage for each unique Mount owned; Gains 30 Attack and Defense for each unique Mount owned; Whenever a mount Procs, Worm-Lord mimics 30% of that damage plus 1% for every 5 unique Mounts owned

The web version has:
    • 4,000 more Attack and Defense
    • 5% higher proc rate
    • 150,000 more base proc bonus
    • 9,000 more proc bonus per mount owned
    • Gains 15 more Attack and Defense per mount owned
    • Costs 170 less Planet Coins than he did in Mobile (he cost 300 PC in mobile for direct purchase and was available for 1 week instead of the 2 he’ll be available for here in web)

However, it does gain 1% for every 5 instead of every 3. This was done because Web’s Worm-Lord has more power in other areas than it does in mobile and in mobile items are added slower than in web (though that’s admittedly been a little less true in some our recent releases). Mobile has 334 mounts and web currently has 380 (note: I’m getting this count based on actual items within our XMLs).

Mobile’s still provides more mimic damage currently but that gap should close fairly quickly based on the current schedule planning for the remainder of 2017 and into 2018.

Hope that provides a bit more clarity into Worm-Lord’s changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Denholm Bramble
    Mouse are there any plans of bringing the Dreaming Lotheri from mobile to web ?
    Not at the moment but that could change. We’ve been pretty cautious about bringing this Premium to web, but I think the game has evolved enough that it’s less “scary” now than it was a year or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TitoBandito
    As several people pointed out: this was a mistake when it happened. It was a happy mistake in the eyes of some but it was a pretty bad one on our end - not because of any financial ramifications, but because it was a really nasty bug. It’s not something we could have left in for a few reasons, one of which being the way some of it was being handled on the database side of things.

It’s something we’ve talked about potentially changing, but it’s pretty unlikely that we’ll pull the trigger on this. It’d take a decent amount of technical resources to make it work “right” (I can’t emphasize enough that despite how smooth it may have appeared in game, it was absolutely not). I can’t go deep into financials obviously, but it did make less than a traditional Gauntlet has. That said, we’ve absolutely made decisions over the years that knowingly made us less money but were better for the game as a whole. So, while that certainly is something we’d consider for a change like this, it’s not the deciding factor by any means.

I don’t want to say we’d never make this change because I do think there’s merit to it, but I can tell you it isn’t on any of our schedules or in any of our Sprints[1] as of this moment and we don’t have any current plans to add it.

Maybe, but I'm going to keep asking for it.
    Even with my response above I sincerely hope that you, and others, will continue to bring up these things. They never get discussed if they never get brought up.

Might have to get back on the crown thing too . . .
    Except this. You could’ve forgotten this… :P

I play a lot of PvP games and really do want Dawn PvP to be more competitive. I don’t have any updates on this unfortunately as our focus has been elsewhere. About a month ago I pitched a few new PvP ideas along with some existing PvP modifications but nothing official came of it as of yet. I know you brought this up half jokingly but I probably should’ve given a status update on this in an SoTG or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstar
    must be interesting world were you trust everything thing they say without question. the thing is what is better to say, that it was intentional but they could already tell it would never work out on their end or to deny it was intended to avoid players expecting it to happen again (which even with the denial we have players asking for it....).
    There’s really no benefit for us to “lie” to the community about this. It was a bug, a pretty crappy bug at that, which was fixed. Any tech forum/industry always has the joking mentality of “This is a bug? It’s a feature now!” But that’s a rarity. It absolutely does happen but not as often as many might believe[2] and absolutely should be looked at with a very critical eye when it’s a feature people are spending a great deal of their time participating in and spending money to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by snowstar
    don't for a second think they don't have a PR person that they run most official comments to us through and at times filter things.
    In the early days this was more accurate, but isn’t as of a couple years ago at the very least. Dawn has had numerous Community Managers (Mimzy, Logann, Lena) but it was always a team focused discussion. If Mimzy was responding to something critical she and I would have a conversation about it. There has never been a “PR” person our voice got filtered through. Had there been I’m pretty confident I would’ve avoided many a blunder that my hasty hands have gotten me into (looking at you, Perception Phase 2, Lockboxes and many other things). Looking back I can’t really say if this was the right or wrong decision for us as a company, but here we are.

This post, like many others, I started writing shortly after arriving at work in a microsoft word file and looked over a few times before posting. I don’t handle Support issues but for the most part Dawn’s Community interaction is my responsibility[3] (among others) now. Kodiak, Abbynormal and Captain Lovelace do plenty behind the scenes along with the assistance of our lovely moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by Plundarr
    Given the majority of their interactions, they need a better PR guy.
    Ouch. RIP. (Not untrue, I’ve had plenty of questionable posts in my time here.)

[1] A “Sprint” is a term used in Agile Development and typically covers anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month of “work.” You can learn more about this at the official Scrum website.
    [2] There are plenty of examples of a “bug” becoming a “feature” in both the gaming industry and outside of it, but my comments are coming from the perspective of the game industry. It could be common and more widely accepted in other tech industries.
    [3] Game Designers are multidisciplined by nature. There’s absolutely no “idea guy” position in the game industry. A designer needs to walk the lines of tech, art, design and any other discipline we can to be effective at our jobs. 5pg has always held community as an important cornerstone and my first job in the industry was Community Management - so this particular task being one of my primary functions shouldn’t be a shocker for anyone. To clarify even further: I’ve been doing a lot of this stuff even when we had full time CMs like Logann, Mimzy and Lena.

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Great responses, thank you for this wonderful insight. I especially appreciate the ongoing neat rebuttals of certain doom and gloom generalizations made on the forums.

Also, since we can keep asking for things that we'd like to see...I'll throw a bone to Perception 2.0.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast