Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: State of the Game: June 2017

Dawn of the Dragons Developer Mouse's Avatar

State of the Game: June 2017

Introduction
    Greetings and welcome to the June 2017 State of the Game post!

As we wipe the cake from our faces and recover from the celebration of the 7th Anniversary in May, we look towards the upcoming month and and beyond. Without further delay let’s jump right in!

Raids, Raids, Raids!
    This month we’re really embracing the new tech which allows us to summon a multitude of World/Event raids at the same time and will be bringing back some old World and Event raids for your raiding pleasure this month. These will be unchanged for this round of summons.

Early in June you can look forward to the Makeshift Drake returning. It will have no changes and will not be co-summoned by any other Event or World raid. But fear not! Shortly thereafter you can look forward to the return of the following: Avinashi, Gorybeard, Kevinator, Wei of the Siwang Shou, Steam Fanatics and Knight’s of Evil! These World Raids will all be summoned simultaneously.

Not long after that the Hero Hunter World Raid will make its return by itself. Followed by the Books and Brimstone and Firebugs Event Raids being summoned together.

But wait! There’s more…

To cap off the month we’ll be summoning The New Claw as well as The Beautiful Game side by side.

There are no Quest or special Guild Events planned for this month but as you can see there will be many opportunities to raid and collect on some vintage items you may have missed out on in the past.

Shadows of the Past: Zone AP
    As many players have pointed out the way we’re handling AP distribution for the latest zone, Shadows of the Past is very different than what we’ve done in the past. We also didn’t talk very much about this change even though it came up in several posts.

Why we did it
    This is something a lot of players have asked for. Not just recently but for several years by this point and we really felt like it just made sense to change how this works for new zones. Especially for Shadows of the Past which may feature specific areas with different loot that may require you to run through multiple times. Under the old system this would feel like punishment because you’d be missing out on vital AP that could only be earned by killing the final boss of the entire zone.

We don’t like the idea of you feeling punished for farming different areas and wanted to address that.

Why didn’t we announce it?
    I sort of mentioned it as a possibility in the forums and in World Chat, but until we could really get our hands on it and test it thoroughly I couldn’t be certain and I wanted to manage the expectations of the community as a whole.

Our initial tests weren’t very encouraging and it looked like it wouldn’t pan out. But as we got nearer to the zone’s release we had a big breakthrough and managed to get it to work without costing us any additional resources.

Will this change be retroactive?
    We have no plans to go back and give this AP distribution change to older zones.

Will this be the way zone AP is handled for new zones going forward?
    That’s the plan, yep! Unless we have a very strong reason not to do it for a new zone for some reason.

What about unique/different AP for each area?
    It requires some significant tech work and at this stage it’s something we’re going to monitor and evaluate but can’t say for certain if it’ll ever happen.

Honor Overflow
    Not a tremendous amount of details to share on this, but: we know that there is an issue with players simply not having enough things to dump their Honor into. Each new Campaign we release helps with this issue but we’re also looking at some new Guild raids on the horizon. It’s highly likely that at least a handful of the upcoming Guild raids will have extremely high hit points with the intention of being a bit of an Honor sponge of sorts.

As with anything it’s a balance of making sure we’re offering a compelling reward to go along with these high levels of health. We don’t want to over reward and trivialize many other areas of the game or unintentionally break the power curve.

There are some other solutions we’re exploring internally, but nothing is ready to be delved into further at this time.

Achievement Searching
    A small quality of life feature that is in the works: the ability to search for specific AP badges within your achievements panel. There’s a lot of updates we’d really love to do for this page but a search field is a much requested and great first step.

7 Years of Dawn: A Thank You
    As we move forward and busily continue our work on June, it’s impossible not to think and reflect on one of the game’s greatest achievements: 7 Years of Dawngoodness.

We’ve slain dragons, explored dangerous caverns and even put an end to some… Intriguing… Qwiladrian antics involving cows. You, the players, have poured blood, sweat and tears into your characters and reached heights we, once upon a time, had never even dreamed of and continue to inspire and amaze the entire team each day.

5th Planet Games wants to thank you for 7 years of amazing gaming and glorious fun and looks forward to more years of shenanigans.

I, personally, want to thank you for all that you do. I’ve enjoyed working on Dawn and with you, the community, and feel honored to share the development of this great game with you.

Thanks for all that you do, community. Let’s raise our cheesewheels for another year of Dawning, Dragony goodness and many more after!

Conclusion
    Thanks for reading the June 2017 State of the Game post. A similar post is made each month so be sure to check back next month for another!

Until next time, adventurers.

Sister of Radiance Achievements's Avatar

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Shortly thereafter you can look forward to the return of the following: Avinashi, Gorybeard, Kevinator, Wei of the Siwang Shou, Steam Fanatics and Knight’s of Evil!
    Please consider to add some new stuff to some of them, like 2-3 Community loot tiers throwing in random outdated chests for fodder and Stats, or else the Immortals and above will be done within a quarter of a bar (with all of them) and with nothing to hit for the other 119.9h

Sargaash the Mighty equal Ahlyis's Avatar
    Hiding in a dark corner of your mind - sure is roomy in here!

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Will this change be retroactive?
    We have no plans to go back and give this AP distribution change to older zones.
    That's a true shame. You should at least consider doing it for the zone that drops the Mathala scraps. There's little that's more punishing to questing than that right now!

We don’t want to over reward and trivialize many other areas of the game or unintentionally break the power curve.
    Good to know that the completely out of control power sprint is intentional!
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

Thanks for addressing honor issue at least band-aid solution as new dragon (deadly) is welcome.

For the long term, i think Timed guild raid that refresh every 24 hrs is the best thing because small or large guild can handle it. Maybe add guild total damage for the fun like community tier (prefer human or dragon tag though and maybe some magic slot)

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Guild raids won't help with dumping honor because the reason people don't summon them is it takes too long to get to the one you want. Also no mention of how awful raid CDs are now and damage reducing mechanic to low health raids.

Spell Slinger

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games

Honor Overflow
    Not a tremendous amount of details to share on this, but: we know that there is an issue with players simply not having enough things to dump their Honor into. Each new Campaign we release helps with this issue but we’re also looking at some new Guild raids on the horizon. It’s highly likely that at least a handful of the upcoming Guild raids will have extremely high hit points with the intention of being a bit of an Honor sponge of sorts.

As with anything it’s a balance of making sure we’re offering a compelling reward to go along with these high levels of health. We don’t want to over reward and trivialize many other areas of the game or unintentionally break the power curve.

There are some other solutions we’re exploring internally, but nothing is ready to be delved into further at this time.
    Create one quest zone where Honor will be used, same for stamina.
    Add one deadly Guild raid.
    Or, revamp adventures to be more rewarding - you can dump tons of honor there no matter how strong you are.
    OR, add new difficulty for raids - Godlike. Hitpoints will be multiplied by 100, AP and loot gain will be multiplied by 5 - result? No more raids instantly killed by 1 stamina or honor.
    Na ArmorGames hledáme členy pro naší gildu CZ+SK !

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegfarms View Post
    Guild raids won't help with dumping honor because the reason people don't summon them is it takes too long to get to the one you want. Also no mention of how awful raid CDs are now and damage reducing mechanic to low health raids.
    Actually, the reason why I don't summon guild raids is because it's a hassle to have to summon, kill, re-summon several times during a level... unless I'm intentionally farming a guild raid. When I want a quick "honor dump" it's not practical to keep summoning/killing the guild raids (because I would have to do it several times).

If there is a huge health guild raid - or even a few, this might solve the problem - for a time, anyways.

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Thank you for bringing back the old WR's! After these resummons, I'll only be missing Corrupted Erebus so please bring that back soon as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Blood in the Water again either, since I still need to craft the Foesinker.

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    So Uhmmm... When are we getting that Magic update ? so we can restrict magics on raids?
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

The Immortal Insurgi, 16th Drake Slayer, 12th Demigod. Insurgi's (AP, FS, OS, Max) Raid Damage Table

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Honor Overflow

You could always look into letting us add honor ourselves, instead of making it automatically gained each level.

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Introduction
    Greetings and welcome to the June 2017 State of the Game post!

As we wipe the cake from our faces and recover from the celebration of the 7th Anniversary in May, we look towards the upcoming month and and beyond. Without further delay let’s jump right in!
    Om nom nom.

Raids, Raids, Raids!
    This month we’re really embracing the new tech which allows us to summon a multitude of World/Event raids at the same time and will be bringing back some old World and Event raids for your raiding pleasure this month. These will be unchanged for this round of summons.

Early in June you can look forward to the Makeshift Drake returning. It will have no changes and will not be co-summoned by any other Event or World raid. But fear not! Shortly thereafter you can look forward to the return of the following: Avinashi, Gorybeard, Kevinator, Wei of the Siwang Shou, Steam Fanatics and Knight’s of Evil! These World Raids will all be summoned simultaneously.

Not long after that the Hero Hunter World Raid will make its return by itself. Followed by the Books and Brimstone and Firebugs Event Raids being summoned together.

But wait! There’s more…

To cap off the month we’ll be summoning The New Claw as well as The Beautiful Game side by side.

There are no Quest or special Guild Events planned for this month but as you can see there will be many opportunities to raid and collect on some vintage items you may have missed out on in the past.
    Yay! Old WRs, yaaay!
    I don't even mind that there will be no changes to them.

Shadows of the Past: Zone AP
    I really like being able to earn AP from any section of the zone -- thanks for this change!

Honor Overflow

I am looking forward to this!
    (perhaps impatiently, too. haha)

Achievement Searching
    A small quality of life feature that is in the works: the ability to search for specific AP badges within your achievements panel. There’s a lot of updates we’d really love to do for this page but a search field is a much requested and great first step.
    Yay! Yay! Yay!
    I do have a question about this, will we be able to search for only the AP badge name or will we also be able to search for what/how we get that AP badge? For example, if I wanted to search for the Horgrak AP badge would I be able to search, "horgrak?" Or, another example, if I wanted to search for a quest zone badge, would we be able to search "zone #," as well?

I guess that was more than one question... :P

7 Years of Dawn: A Thank You
    As we move forward and busily continue our work on June, it’s impossible not to think and reflect on one of the game’s greatest achievements: 7 Years of Dawngoodness.

We’ve slain dragons, explored dangerous caverns and even put an end to some… Intriguing… Qwiladrian antics involving cows. You, the players, have poured blood, sweat and tears into your characters and reached heights we, once upon a time, had never even dreamed of and continue to inspire and amaze the entire team each day.

5th Planet Games wants to thank you for 7 years of amazing gaming and glorious fun and looks forward to more years of shenanigans.

I, personally, want to thank you for all that you do. I’ve enjoyed working on Dawn and with you, the community, and feel honored to share the development of this great game with you.

Thanks for all that you do, community. Let’s raise our cheesewheels for another year of Dawning, Dragony goodness and many more after!
    Thank you and the rest of the Dev team for making this game! I have really enjoyed playing this game for the last (almost) 7 years! Here's to several more years of cow savin- er, west Kruna saving!

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate

Angry geez laweez

Well... thanks for keeping the game up, its apreciated.
    Last edited by Namagderas; 1st June 2017 at 19:45. Reason: shiver me timbers
    Omer's Collar: proof that 5pg does bait and switch. never forget!
    Guster fault: just so you know, 5pg can and will reset or modify our characters whenever they see fit.
    "we'd like you, the community, to decide which Magics should appear on this raid."... uh, huh.

Silver Arrow

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    was hoping for some new guild tiers but meh there is always next month

Disciple of the Traveller
    Quote Originally Posted by Nethlion View Post
    You could always look into letting us add honor ourselves, instead of making it automatically gained each level.
    that would be probably the simplest long term fix. been suggested lots of times. move the LSI cap to 8, to account for the 1 honor per level. then just make it a player set value like energy and stamina that you add to or don't add to each level.

ideally if they did that should let us do a one time adjustment to honor as part of the change over. know some of the higher level particularly might want to drop their total honor down some.

though still think probably the best fix would be to make at least two new raids. one that is energy/honor and one that is stamina/honor. even if just picked one of those would help. we all remember what the addition of Jorm did to energy on its own. if careful about the balancing of the relative value of the resources spent, that would likely solve lots of the problem by player summoning preferences. ie, in time we would adjust the rate of summoning of these raids to conveniently soak up excess honor. would let us fix the problem ourselves to our needs. if problem gets out of hand again, the devs would just need to release a new summonable honor raid, much as the elites and deadlies were done.

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Raids, Raids, Raids!

But wait! There’s more…

Thank you for planning out many old WR's for the players this month, many of which have been asked for years. It's great the tech finally allows for parallel WR.
    It would be wonderful if older WR could be run side by side challenging WR, particularly for younger players. Some of the most recent WR releases are not new player friendly (a single hit can bring their HP to 0).

Honor Overflow

Some suggestions that have been offered which I hope you are considering as part of your internal solutions
    A. allowing elites to be hit with honor(Post #14) (thus justifying the no AP given)
    B. allow a guild setting (that anyone with the permission setting) to make guild raids2 automatically1 resummonable3 upon a raids death
    C. offer red AP on guild raids (still not clear why we don't have red on all but the smalls)
    D. Adding enhancements1 to adventures2 to make them more3 clearable4 and fun5, (ie: moving PC boons to guild store, removing/reducing adventurer cool down, adding in new adventurer and collectibles as part of future raid loot, including maps). Honestly, I enjoy doing adventures, as a means of dumping leveling honor and when I've hit my tolerated share in the guild. I would welcome gladly new adventures, provided they didn't always end in failure and see it as the solution with the most potential to allows folks to dump honor.

Definitely welcome new guild raids, it would be awesome if some of them could help players obtain hard to get loot from older campaigns (ie: Giant Cook that can drop the Giant Hide Shield, the two general (which after 50 runs of GoC, I still don't have either)

Achievement Searching
    It would be as or possibly more helpful if we could sort and identify what achievements we are closest to obtain actual AP, but as long as I can find the raid or quest zone or whatever the object in reference is, it would be a huge help, just like we can with raids. Limiting the search to just the name of the achievement may not be as helpful because I would have to look it up in wiki or ask on chat for it
    Similarly, if magics can offer a similar search (ie: typing "demon" shows all magics I own that have special bonus to demon raids, that would make the search feature a lot more useful)

Note: 1-X are different possible implementations of the same idea
    Q: How can a workaholic play DoTD?
    A: DoTD is more work than play.
    I don't play anymore

Sargaash the Mighty equal
    PvP?
    If you want to "ignore" someone on the forum just click their name, click profile, and beneath their avatar you'll see an ignore link. Comes in really handy at times when you don't want to deal with that certain someone's constant negativity.

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Introduction
    Raids, Raids, Raids!
    This is a BIG mistake. The world raids and event raids minus only a few of the newest ones are no challange for a signifigant number of players. to me all they are are HONOR dumps (happy about the new honor heavy raids btw). The event raids and world raids are a big part of this game and when you rerun them with NO updates it feels like you are being lazy.
    Add community loot, or better yet add upgrade recipies for items. RAISE the teirs (not just add new one totally revamp exisiting ones). i'm not calling for insanity but raising event raids to say 1 trill top teir isn't exactly a big deal for 75% of your player base and raising WRs to at least 2.5 trill wouldn't be a bad thing either.
    Now i like seeing so many at once, thats a good thing (make the loot poster accesible from the window you see what loot can be dropped from).

Another month with no talk about perc. this is sad.

1 last point. in the past when wr/er have been rerun you used to link all the old craftables to the new page. You need to get back to doing that

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Suggestion for a way to dump more honor:
    • Let a player use honor on any raid if the summoner of the raid is also a member of the same guild as the player.

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    reading through the others comments there is one that sticks out.
    Adding a full 4-5 part zone that takes Honor.
    Not only could this be amazing to help us dump honor, but could be an interesting side zone, warrior goes to the mountian to train in the way of honor, etc etc. be a good place to add more raids from, interesting story wise and doesn't have to be too powerful (perhaps a place to get another freemium like dh or mina3)

Disciple of the Traveller
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunan View Post
    This is a BIG mistake. The world raids and event raids minus only a few of the newest ones are no challange for a signifigant number of players. to me all they are are HONOR dumps (happy about the new honor heavy raids btw). The event raids and world raids are a big part of this game and when you rerun them with NO updates it feels like you are being lazy.
    Add community loot, or better yet add upgrade recipies for items. RAISE the teirs (not just add new one totally revamp exisiting ones). i'm not calling for insanity but raising event raids to say 1 trill top teir isn't exactly a big deal for 75% of your player base and raising WRs to at least 2.5 trill wouldn't be a bad thing either.
    Now i like seeing so many at once, thats a good thing (make the loot poster accesible from the window you see what loot can be dropped from).

Another month with no talk about perc. this is sad.

1 last point. in the past when wr/er have been rerun you used to link all the old craftables to the new page. You need to get back to doing that

well part of the point of *rerunning* old WR/ER is to allow players to gauge their growth against them and hopefully do better. if old WR/ER are always bumped up in damage requirements along with the games power curve, newer players would never have much of a real chance to catch up.

and by running 6 of them at once, they are a round about way increasing the difficulty a bit at least. sure the old guard and heavy spenders can almost one hit them and finish them, but that is a side effect of they advancement in the game. if advancing in the game never makes big events easier, it would get rather tedious to newer players.

though, do agree that they should add in "veteran" troops and such, provided it doesn't create a situation where if you missed the first one, you have no chance to ever get the newest shinny. something like where original WR, needed X on hit drops to make a troop, add in a veteran version that takes either 2X on hit drops to make or takes X on hit drops plus the original troop. difficult maybe for a player that missed the first run, but not impossible that way. but if it a case of the WR drops one special item, and to make the new shinny, you would need to get 2 of the special item (the first make the original shinny, then second to upgrade it) that will just generate resentment.

but have long suggested that they add in a standard system where if you do 2X or 5X or 10X of the stated max damage on a WR/ER you get some multiple of loot drops from the WR/ER. at least if they wont just add in community loot tiers of only stat points of course. if the community loot is anything else you back to the problem of it not being overly fair to newer players (the few we have we should be nice to....)

as to the bringing the old crafts to the new tab, no clue what is so difficult about that. for one, they need to make a "current" tab separate from the new tab to avoid confusion. otherwise I can only assume no one there has a master flow chart of all of the crafts and they just simply don't know themselves what goes to what anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast