Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Game: May 2017

Dawn of the Dragons Developer Mouse's Avatar

State of the Game: May 2017

Introduction
    Greetings and welcome to the May 2017 State of the Game post! Today we’ll talk about some of what’s coming in May and more. Without further delay let’s dive right in!

Dawnniversary VII
    This May marks the 7th Anniversary for Dawn (aka Dawnniversary)!

Seven years of dragons, adventuring and probably enough Volatile potions to sink a ship. It has certainly been quite a ride. The Dawn team is honored and truly humbled by the love and passion of the playerbase; without you wonderful folks none of this would be possible.

Let’s look at some of what you can expect this Dawnniversary. Do keep in mind that a few things are being kept under wraps as we’d like to retain some element of surprise.

New World Raid
    His forge is a temple, a shrine where sinister priests chant to malevolent gods and victims bleed their last on the altar. Blood, death, and suffering flow through the terrible weapons he fashions -- products of untold genius and unmentionable horror. He is the Dark Smith, and his evil cannot be allowed to go unchecked.
    This month will see the addition of a brand new World Raid: The Dark Smith, a World Raid that has existed in DawnMobile for quite a few years now. We felt this was a great opportunity for his debut in the web version of Dawn. He shall arrive near the middle of the month. This will be a World Raid (so around 5 days of active time) and while the art used for the raid will be the same as DawnMobile, we’ll be designing the tiers and items differently.

For the time being we’re going to treat him similarly to other Dawnniversary World Raids in that he’s not likely to be summoned very often outside of April, May or June so be sure to get in and give him a good beating when he’s available this month!

West Kruna Gauntlet
    The Gauntlet returns to West Kruna this month!

This version of the Gauntlet will feature new items within the shop and we’re also going to look into Blessing of Mathala and SMITE and reviewing the possibility for them to stack. This is a request we’ve been getting a lot both in the forums and in other areas of feedback. It’s still being evaluated by our tech team but we’re hoping to get this change implemented for this summon of the West Kruna Gauntlet.

Our intention is that the magics would stack with one another in all regards (loot and damage). At this stage in Dawn’s life, we don’t see a strong reason for these two magics to not function together.

New Full Zone
    The story of the Veil-Walker continues with an all-new full zone!

This zone will feature four areas with four new raids and a plethora of new items to hunt. This is a full zone and is a continuation of the main storyline, picking up where we left off after the re-binding of Drakontos. The story delves deeper into the Ascendants and explores several other oddities that have been occurring throughout West Kruna including the origins and intentions of the Black Hand Bandits. Expect this new zone near the very end of the month.

May need to give the world map a bit of love as well, it’s getting rather crowded these days!

Dragon Campaign
    The long awaited Dragon Campaign is in progress!

This Campaign is going to feature a considerable amount of reused art assets (Campaigns take a lot) but will feature new rewards and powerful dragon opponents. While we’re calling this “the” dragon campaign it’s unlikely to be the last dragon campaign we do. Despite the Dragon War being over, these pesky wyrms still keep popping up. Where do they come from!?

This will be a permanent addition to the game.

Premiums
    This month will feature the release of two premiums. One will be a Support item and will cost 75 PC. The second premium is still being worked on so I can’t share a definitive price nor proc information about it at this time.

But let’s look at the first Support Premium: Lucian’s Guide to Monsters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    This heavy tome contains countless passages with references to all manner of odd and terrible creatures. The sheer weight of the book gives you the impression that this was a labor of love, something Lucian likely spent the better part of his adult life composing.
    Attack: 3,500
    Defense: 1,500
    Proc Information: Gains 30 Attack and Defense for each Essence owned; Increases Legion Power bonus by 30%; Increases Critical Hit chance by 2%
    Price: 75 Planet Coins
    Item Type: Armament (Support)

This premium will be available for two weeks as usual (one week on the homepage + bazaar, second week just in the bazaar).

Much More!
    There’s still more Dawnniversary events and shenanigans to be had! We don’t want to spoil the surprise so be on the lookout each week for new updates.

Game Performance
    While the game’s general performance has been greatly improved over the years we do know there are some outstanding issues, especially on the guild page and are focusing on several fixes for those problem areas. A few fixes were deployed last week but there’s still more we’re looking into.

Non-Elite/Deadly Raids
    While there are quite a few new Elite and Deadly raids on the schedule for 2017, we hear you that some more regular raids would be a welcome addition to the game. Deadly and Elite raids are much easier for us to produce as we typically reuse existing art for them. With a new raid we tend to try and make new art for them instead. However there are a plethora of bosses we are exploring (such as bosses from Adventures for example) which will allow us to get fresh, non-elite or deadly raids into the system.

Why is art such a problem? Did something change?
    Art is a pretty common bottleneck for a lot of games. It’s usually very expensive to produce and requires a fair amount of time. We do a lot of planning well in advance but, even so, Dawn is a rather art intensive game so we need to be sure wherever we’re creating new art it’s a valuable addition to the game.

May is always much heavier on our art budget than usual and this year is no exception. This isn’t really a new situation. The only difference is we’re being much more transparent with you, the community, about it than we have been in the past.

It won’t keep us from pushing new content into the game, but hopefully provides a little more context as to why we’re looking at utilizing a lot of existing art for the dragon campaign among other areas.

Conclusion
    Seven years for a game such as Dawn is a pretty big accomplishment. There’ve been highs and lows throughout but for the development team working on Dawn, it’s really a dream come true. Your love and passion for Dawn adds fuel to our own excitement and we are so incredibly thankful to have shared this journey with you for the past seven years.

Here’s to another year of dragons, slayers, veil-walkers and Bosso’s crazy inventions.

Thank you for everything that you do, community.

Until next time, adventurers.

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    This month will feature the release of two premiums. One will be a Support item and will cost 75 PC. The second premium is still being worked on so I can’t share a definitive price nor proc information about it at this time.
    Can you give us a rough indication whether this second premium will likely fall in the low (up to 100 PC), medium (125 to 175) or high (200+) bracket? This might affect some players' decisions on how hard to hit the PC sale this week and allow us to do some spending planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    Art is a pretty common bottleneck for a lot of games. It’s usually very expensive to produce and requires a fair amount of time. We do a lot of planning well in advance but, even so, Dawn is a rather art intensive game so we need to be sure wherever we’re creating new art it’s a valuable addition to the game.

May is always much heavier on our art budget than usual and this year is no exception. This isn’t really a new situation. The only difference is we’re being much more transparent with you, the community, about it than we have been in the past.
    Just as a thought - Dawn has several thousands of players among which there might certainly be a few artists. Have you ever thought of providing some art prompts for things you might want to see in the game as raids (e.g. "A group of dwarven bandits raiding an elven village" or "A tentacled dragon obviously the result of a failed Qwiladrian experiment") and seeing what players would submit (with any possible payment being in PC, thus at no actual cost to 5PG)? This would of course be a pure case of speculative submissions from the side of the players - 5PG would not be required to pick any work. It would be "You can submit art for consideration here. If we decide it will fit a raid, it will be added to the game and you'll receive [number of] PC in exchange for exclusive rights."

For raids, this might be able to work - those are after all simply rectangular pictures of a fixed size (unlike equipment that needs to be sized and layered exactly to fit a character and is thus much more difficult to design for an outsider not working on the game on a daily basis)

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalain View Post
    Just as a thought - Dawn has several thousands of players among which there might certainly be a few artists. Have you ever thought of providing some art prompts for things you might want to see in the game as raids (e.g. "A group of dwarven bandits raiding an elven village" or "A tentacled dragon obviously the result of a failed Qwiladrian experiment") and seeing what players would submit (with any possible payment being in PC, thus at no actual cost to 5PG)? This would of course be a pure case of speculative submissions from the side of the players - 5PG would not be required to pick any work. It would be "You can submit art for consideration here. If we decide it will fit a raid, it will be added to the game and you'll receive [number of] PC in exchange for exclusive rights."

For raids, this might be able to work - those are after all simply rectangular pictures of a fixed size (unlike equipment that needs to be sized and layered exactly to fit a character and is thus much more difficult to design for an outsider not working on the game on a daily basis)
    good idea, takes the load off the artist and means we can get content in game without that bottleneck.

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Oh and re: the support arm, the people you are aiming at spend pc, the people who spend pc have crit setups, the arm with only 2pct and stats is not as good as an arm with 4pct despite the scaling so its not something we will be willing to spend 75pc on. Can you please make the crit portion 4 or 5pct so its not an issue even if you do lower the atk / def and scaling to compensate. I've bought every prem / semi prem for a while but this one wouldnt get in my legion so no point buying it.

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Grungi (Helena) View Post
    Oh and re: the support arm, the people you are aiming at spend pc, the people who spend pc have crit setups, the arm with only 2pct and stats is not as good as an arm with 4pct despite the scaling so its not something we will be willing to spend 75pc on. Can you please make the crit portion 4 or 5pct so its not an issue even if you do lower the atk / def and scaling to compensate. I've bought every prem / semi prem for a while but this one wouldnt get in my legion so no point buying it.
    Indeed, I would also like to see at least 3% crit on this (4% would probably not be needed as all the 4% crit armaments so far are unique and we don't yet have enough to fill the bigger legions). While the stats are massive - 30 times essences owned adds up to around 5000 for a total of 8500 Attack - only 2% puts it behind the free, non-unique Terracles in that department. 3%, maybe with a small decrease of the scaling or a deduction from the base Attack, would make this all upside from Terracles.

Sargaash the Mighty equal
    Can you please make the crit portion 4 or 5pct
    Agreed. 2 percent increase seems rather niggardly for a premium.
    If you want to "ignore" someone on the forum just click their name, click profile, and beneath their avatar you'll see an ignore link. Comes in really handy at times when you don't want to deal with that certain someone's constant negativity.

Any plans for those that have been around for 2500 days or so?

Dawn of the Dragons Developer Mouse's Avatar
    Will look into possibly giving a boost to the crit rate of Lucian's Guide to Monsters before it's released. Appreciate the feedback!

Any plans for those that have been around for 2500 days or so?
    No special reward on the radar currently, but we revisit these from time to time. So, not out of the question for the future by any means.

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalain View Post
    Indeed, I would also like to see at least 3% crit on this (4% would probably not be needed as all the 4% crit armaments so far are unique and we don't yet have enough to fill the bigger legions).
    The latter part seems irrelevant, unless the intent is that this armament is strictly for the bigger legions.

I'd expect a premium armament to be better than Lightfoot Charm, which cost 20 festival tokens, and is a +4% crit chance (+another 4% vs. festival)/10% LB armament.

If the design intent is that this is a premium that will regularly be driven out of your legions by standard content, I think it needs a meaningful passive to be worthy of the name.

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Will look into possibly giving a boost to the crit rate of Lucian's Guide to Monsters before it's released. Appreciate the feedback!
    Thanks for listening

Please boost premium crit rate to 5-6% will be more desirable. Expect it to be better than Waterwalking Charm. (which +5% crit +10% LP )

other than that, it seems like your typical dawniversary which really appreciate. Hope Deadly Dragon With 11+1 Magic Slots is also here :P

Other Prems maybe the 200 PC. Let's see what it is.

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    ^!

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate

Arrow yolo

Best thing about this month sotg, is that the game is still up. thanks for that!
    Last edited by Namagderas; 1st May 2017 at 20:06. Reason: changing the meaning of my post
    Omer's Collar: proof that 5pg does bait and switch. never forget!
    Guster fault: just so you know, 5pg can and will reset or modify our characters whenever they see fit.
    "we'd like you, the community, to decide which Magics should appear on this raid."... uh, huh.

Silver Arrow

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    ugh another gauntlet? would rather have a war..

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    So May brings us a dragon camp, but is a Deadly Dragon on the radar? This fancy anni gear is nice and all, but for the long term players, it's not really worth buying another crit set (that is just for dragons) unless we have some deadlies coming along. Otherwise Phoenix Lord is the way to go for now.

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Seven years of dragons, adventuring and probably enough Volatile potions to Float The Titanic. (FTFY Mousey) It has certainly been quite a ride. The Dawn team is honored and truly humbled by the love and passion of the playerbase; without you wonderful folks none of this would be possible.

Thank you for keeping the game around and for being some of the best game devs for actually listening to your playerbase at times

Premiums

But let’s look at the first Support Premium: Lucian’s Guide to Monsters.

Attack: 3,500
    Defense: 1,500
    Proc Information: Gains 30 Attack and Defense for each Essence owned; Increases Legion Power bonus by 30%; Increases Critical Hit chance by 2%
    Price: 75 Planet Coins
    Item Type: Armament (Support)

This premium will be available for two weeks as usual (one week on the homepage + bazaar, second week just in the bazaar).

This really does need buffing as at the moment it sadly isnt worth 75pc (I think you guys have powercreep issues though so i can understand why it would start like this, maybe make the crit bonus scale instead of the stats? (obviously not too much as we dont need more power creep))

Much More!
    There’s still more Dawnniversary events and shenanigans to be had! We don’t want to spoil the surprise so be on the lookout each week for new updates.

Game Performance
    While the game’s general performance has been greatly improved over the years we do know there are some outstanding issues, especially on the guild page and are focusing on several fixes for those problem areas. A few fixes were deployed last week but there’s still more we’re looking into.

Non-Elite/Deadly Raids
    While there are quite a few new Elite and Deadly raids on the schedule for 2017, we hear you that some more regular raids would be a welcome addition to the game. Deadly and Elite raids are much easier for us to produce as we typically reuse existing art for them. With a new raid we tend to try and make new art for them instead. However there are a plethora of bosses we are exploring (such as bosses from Adventures for example) which will allow us to get fresh, non-elite or deadly raids into the system.

Woo, normal raids!!

Why is art such a problem? Did something change?

It won’t keep us from pushing new content into the game, but hopefully provides a little more context as to why we’re looking at utilizing a lot of existing art for the dragon campaign among other areas.
    Its already been suggested but why not run competitions for players artwork to be added to the game, im pretty sure there are more than one or two designers/artists playing the game who would love to have their work used, any publicity is good publicity

Sargaash the Mighty equal Ahlyis's Avatar
    Hiding in a dark corner of your mind - sure is roomy in here!

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Add my voice to those calling for the Premium armament to actually be worth using. 4% at a minimum since it is supposedly Premium. 5 or 6% would be even better.
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

Silver Arrow

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Would be cool if the crit chance would scale, something like "Increases crit chance by 1%. +0.05% crit chance for every essence owned" or something.
    Would be wiling to spend more that 75 PC for such a thing

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    new arma would have to be boosted considerably for me to sink 75 pc into it. there are a plethora of free support armas. They may not have crit chance, but they also don't cost me 75 pc when there is an unannounced expenditure on the horizon. Especially when rumors have placed that unannounced project at 200 pc. Up to and until we get more info on premium number 2, the arma will have to be beefy for me to fandangle a way to spend pc on it.

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgarion View Post
    This really does need buffing as at the moment it sadly isnt worth 75pc (I think you guys have powercreep issues though so i can understand why it would start like this, maybe make the crit bonus scale instead of the stats? (obviously not too much as we dont need more power creep))
    I agree this 'premium' will be weaker than half premium Scepter of Rassys
    Lower stats and supports have worse multiplier, lower LP, highier price and 2% crit rate instead stat bonus (which might be better but not every one is using crit combo)

but if it will be buffed it might be good

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast