Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!

Thread: SMITE and Blessing of Mathala Buffs

Dawn of the Dragons Developer Mouse's Avatar

SMITE and Blessing of Mathala Buffs

Greetings adventurers!

After reviewing your feedback in the State of the Game Post regarding the Gauntlet Magics (and elsewhere), we’re going to be buffing both SMITE and Blessing of Mathala with the build this Friday (March 10th, 2017).

• Blessing of Mathala from 5% to 7%
    • SMITE from 10% to 13%

This change applies to both the West Kruna and Chalua versions of these Magics. We’ll continue to monitor these Magics for the future to ensure they’re desireable.

What if I have the West Kruna version of BoM or SMITE now?
    You’ll enjoy the buffed version of these Magics; the change is retroactive.

Will there be more changes to these in the future? You usually don’t buff items like this
    It’s true that we don’t often buff items in Dawn. However, in the case of these Magics it’s inevitable that they’ll eventually fall behind in the game’s ever growing power curve.

To address that, we either need to leave them as they are and accept that they’re weaker (not a great idea). Replace them with something entirely different, or buff them periodically. We’ve chosen to go with buffing them for the time being though we might decide to entirely replace them at a later date if an appropriate reason to do so comes up.

Thank you, adventurers!

My Platform(s)
    World Server
    So BoM will be at 59.5% base, and SMITE at 65%? Nice.
    Last edited by Pyrolizard; 8th March 2017 at 18:12.

Within our solar system there is a gap in the ordinal positioning of the planets. That gap is currently occupied by the asteroid belt. It has been hypothesized there was once a planet and some extraordinary cosmic event caused it to explode. The genesis, lore, and�history of our game takes place on that mythical planet
    . -Steve Pladson(Lead Developer for 5th Planet Games)

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Thank you, that's a heck of a jump. Expect to see some new all time personal bests this weekend

My Platform(s)
    World Server
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaek View Post
    Thank you, that's a heck of a jump. Expect to see some new all time personal bests this weekend
    Well, the *average* damage been increased, but the actual damage proc is untouched. Technically the highest possible hit is not effected by this change.
    In reality, though, the higher proc rate means that the odds of have all the magics, plus all the mount procs simultaneously is increased, thus making it more likely that higher hit will be done in a reasonable length of time.

Within our solar system there is a gap in the ordinal positioning of the planets. That gap is currently occupied by the asteroid belt. It has been hypothesized there was once a planet and some extraordinary cosmic event caused it to explode. The genesis, lore, and�history of our game takes place on that mythical planet
    . -Steve Pladson(Lead Developer for 5th Planet Games)

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    I would have preferred giving the gauntlet winners a weaker smite or mathala, but it then be durable. I think that would not reduce the money spent on gauntlet, there are enough players who would be prepared to spend the money if the chances were available. This is just extremely elitist and wanting to drain the fools who are prepared to spend most money.

Making Mathala and smite stronger to make it more attractive just proves the point to my mind.

(PS: I count myself as one of these fools, I own Mathala)

Sister of Radiance

My Platform(s)
    World Server
    Quote Originally Posted by SG8888 View Post
    *clap clap*

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    I would have preferred giving the gauntlet winners a weaker smite or mathala, but it then be durable. I think that would not reduce the money spent on gauntlet, there are enough players who would be prepared to spend the money if the chances were available. This is just extremely elitist and wanting to drain the fools who are prepared to spend most money.
    You'd be happy with a weaker, but permanent, Smite/BoM?

That throws up for me two issues
    • A weaker magic would limit its use and be could be seen as a status symbol rather than have a practical use - sounds like a vanity device which could be considered elitist. By way of an example BoM was not a optimal magic used on DBoB's prior to the boost, without the boost it would of been one of the optionals.
    • If the magics continue to receive the boosts for owned gauntlet familiars then for additional damage (30% or 8.75% pre-boost and 39% or 12.25% post-boost Smite/BoM respectively) which might encourage owners to use whenever possible for their own benefit again could be seen as elitist

I'm not sure how 5PG can square that circle.
    1. Either they keep the magic current to power gauntlet performance benefiting much of the community (and owners) this will encourage PC spenders to get it.
    2. Or they have it benefit owners again it will encourage spending but the benefit will be to a far smaller pool of people.
    3. Or they have it as a status symbol, doubtless some will still spend to obtain, because they are collectors, but I would guess that it will be the smallest subset of people when looking at the three groups.

Having zero chance of getting BoM on any of the three platforms I'm in favor of option 1

Making Mathala and smite stronger to make it more attractive just proves the point to my mind.
    It certainly appears to fuel powercreep/surge etc. I would guess adding in the new exalted chest(s) is to help sales as well.

Not at all, I for one appreciate your spending, especially on NAG

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Could we somehow get the two magics to work together damage wise.
    Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Will there be more changes to these in the future? You usually don’t buff items like this
    It’s true that we don’t often buff items in Dawn. However, in the case of these Magics it’s inevitable that they’ll eventually fall behind in the game’s ever growing power curve.

To address that, we either need to leave them as they are and accept that they’re weaker (not a great idea). Replace them with something entirely different, or buff them periodically. We’ve chosen to go with buffing them for the time being though we might decide to entirely replace them at a later date if an appropriate reason to do so comes up.

Thank you, adventurers!

perhaps a review of magics like Rhythm and Melody as well?

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Quote Originally Posted by khes View Post
    perhaps a review of magics like Rhythm and Melody as well?
    I would agree here wholeheartedly. But unfortunately not good for immediate revenue. (Arguable whether better game increases revenue or not).

The trouble is, that the "reward" which was given for level 2500, 5000 and 10000 just isn't really very interesting any more, because it does not scale and has been surpassed by almost all currently used magics.