Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: State of the Game: December 2016

Dawn of the Dragons Developer Mouse's Avatar

State of the Game: December 2016

Introduction
    Greetings adventurers!

Depending on where you are in the world, Winter isnít coming - itís already here! As snowdrifts form and peppermint lattes swirl we enter into the final month of 2016, December. This month weíve got a lot planned in the world of Dawn and will be focusing the majority of the discussion on what you can expect this month.

Without further delay, letís get to it!

December Events
    December will kick off with the rather familiar Yule Tribe quest event! In addition to the loot youíve grown accustomed to over the years weíre also adding new craftables and other items this year. The Yule Tribe event will be active starting with the first build of December and ending in January of 2017.

Serving as a prime example as to why you donít mix magic with a childís imagination, Frost the Snow Dragon will be returning early this month to once again cause mayhem throughout West Kruna. This Event Raid has received no changes since its previous summon.

The mouth watering scent of carnival food and the applause from the crowd heralds the arrival of the Festival of Drifting Dreams! This marks the 7th summon of the Festival. In addition to a plethora of new loot you may also notice that the Festival has a new and festive look for the holidays. Weíre also keeping our eyes focused on the Training Dummy game and plan to have more new rewards and other adjustments for this summon.

It wouldnít be December in West Kruna without the addition of Kessov: Blood Will Run Cold also fondly referred to as Winter Kessov. This year weíre adding new loot to Winter Kessovís tiers as well as new recipes. These new additions wonít be removed when December passes, but as youíll need access to Winter Kessov to obtain the various crafting materials needed for the new recipes, youíll want to get these new items while Kessov is up.

This December weíre also running our first in a very long time PvP Event. This event will feature a new Token drop from Duels which are used to create new recipes. This event will last for one week only and weíll be observing your feedback closely to determine where to start taking PvP Events going forward.

While the rerun of old and much loved World and Event Raids is certainly a welcome sight, we know that nothing quite beats the excitement of a brand new World Raid. This month weíll be adding a new Winter, Siege, Dragon World Raid which will appear near the end of the month. While this raid is obviously quite heavily themed for a December/winter month, itís not restricted to this time of year only and may come back into rotation sooner than next December.

The Yule Tribe arenít the only creatures who call the snowy tundra their home. This month will see the return of the Rannveig Quest Event! This event lasts for one week and will return near the end of the month and includes new loot in addition to her previous recipes and item drops.

Much like Dawnniversary and Ghosts and Graves, we want December to feel rewarding and eventful and on top of the plethora of events weíve already talked about so far weíre also going to be changing up Daily Logins each week for the entire month and reducing different resource timers (Energy, Stamina, Honor). To top this off we also want to add a little extra holiday cheer to the game so you can expect some cheer scattered around the Dawn UI for the month of December.

And of course, in the spirit of giving and cheer you can expect more than a few new Promo Codes to appear throughout the entire month of December; many of these codes will expire in January so be on the lookout in the patch notes as new codes get added!

Thereís more fun to be had this month but we donít want to spoil it all, so check back each week to see whatís new!

Perception - Going Forward
    It has been a long and weary road for the Perception stat, with promises of improvements and updates dangling like sleigh bells for many years itís no wonder that our most asked for feature is Perception Phase 2.

Weíve worked on more concepts for this feature than I can remember for anything else that Iíve personally been a part of on Dawn, and while there are still a lot of ideas to button up and changes we want to explore weíre very excited to announce that Perception will be receiving an update this month.

Phase 2.1
    Fellow Dragon-Rider and Drake enthusiast eevee created a great thread in November talking to fellow players about different ideas and concepts to make Perception Phase 2 into a reality. We had recently applied a renewed focus on Perception with the desire to get something tangible into the game this month.

We saw this thread as a wonderful opportunity to have an open dialogue with the community about different ideas and concepts for the feature and has greatly helped us zero in on good improvements for the future.

Critical Damage
    While we had previously taken the stance that we didnít want Perception to have synergy with critical strike damage or chance, the game has changed an awful lot and we no longer feel that this option is off the table. As such, this month weíre rolling out the following changes to the Perception stat.

• Up to total player Perception of 500,000, for every 5,000 total Player Perception, a player gains 1% critical damage bonus.
    • Starting at total player Perception 500,001 and beyond, the formula changes to 1% critical damage for every 10,000 total Player Perception.

This was our initial pass at the concept. It touches on a few important factors:

• Perception becomes useful outside of just questing; it's now desirable for raiding.
    • It makes Perception gear more viable for a raiding environment.
    • Doable in a reasonable amount of time (low tech budget approach).
    • Thematically ties in well to Perception.

Again, this isnít necessarily the entirety of how Perception will function in the game going forward, but it's a very good starting point and helps bring more relevance to Perception as a whole.

What about the future?
    Thatís going to depend a little on the needs of the game and also you, the players. We have really enjoyed talking with you about this subject and want to continue exploring ideas and options for ways to make Perception a more desireable stat.

There are still great suggestions in that thread so be sure to check it out! The next great thing for Perception awaits, adventurers.

Conclusion
    Dawn has seen a lot of change over this past year, and while weíre sad to see 2016 slowly start to fade from view, we are very excited with how busy Dawn will keep us this month and hopefully you as well.

We hope youíll join us next month as we welcome in the new year with the next State of the Game Post in January.

Until next time, adventurers!

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Please don't let Perception crits be the end of Perception 2.

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    It was so interesting to read and I'm really happy the developers after all these years still introduce new world raids, add new loot to previous ones, quest events and also give promo codes and daily bonuses. It's a pleasure you're also reworking the perception, because that's what people are concerned with. This month seems to be filled with myriad of interesting events which we truly appreciate, thanks for the writing, I enjoyed reading. ^^

Sargaash the Mighty equal Ahlyis's Avatar
    Hiding in a dark corner of your mind - sure is roomy in here!

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    While there's nothing wrong with making Perc give crit bonus damage, and by itself it is a great addition to the game... as Perc 2.1 it is massively underwhelming!

We've been promised a massive overhaul to how Perc works for years now, with periodic updates about how great it will be... and then we get this. Seriously? This is it?

I stand by my comments in Eevee's suggestion thread! Specifically...

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlyis View Post
    We've given feedback many times already and now, after all these months have passed we're just being asked for feedback and suggestions again? This feels like a stall tactic by 5PG. Something to make us feel like there's progress being made when really it's just an illusion as the only "progress" is just us posting more feedback.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't feel like wasting more time providing more feedback for something which looks more and more like vaporware all the time.

*shrug*
    Great that we get SOMETHING as an update for Perc, but as far as Perc 2.0? It is still vaporware as far as I can tell.

*shrug*
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate

Angry yar har har

was wondering if Dawn would see december. thanks for keeping the gaming up!
    Last edited by Namagderas; 1st December 2016 at 18:29. Reason: fiddle dee
    Omer's Collar: proof that 5pg does bait and switch. never forget!
    Guster fault: just so you know, 5pg can and will reset or modify our characters whenever they see fit.
    "we'd like you, the community, to decide which Magics should appear on this raid."... uh, huh.

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    December Events
    i hope the yule spawn and drop rate is good

new loot for festival will affect the old one? it is only in the vortex or it will be added to catapult and/or dummies? if so how the old loot will be obtainable?

new loot in winter kessov will be on hit or tiers? if its tiers then those will be added among the old ones or over those?

Perception - Going Forward
    Phase 2.1
    i suppose then that a skill tree, if that is ever released, will be phase 3?

What about the future?
    older suggestion will be taken in count too?
    Starting 10/10/2010
    Immortal 5/18/2015
    Duel r44-Colosseum r40-Invasion r32
    P.B. 23,68b

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlyis View Post
    While there's nothing wrong with making Perc give crit bonus damage, and by itself it is a great addition to the game... as Perc 2.1 it is massively underwhelming!

We've been promised a massive overhaul to how Perc works for years now, with periodic updates about how great it will be... and then we get this. Seriously? This is it?

I stand by my comments in Eevee's suggestion thread! Specifically...

Great that we get SOMETHING as an update for Perc, but as far as Perc 2.0? It is still vaporware as far as I can tell.

*shrug*
    Couldn't agree more.
    While it's nice that you've done something, I expected more.
    I didn't put all into Perc, ignoring attack and defense for so long just to get extra crit %

World Mender
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Critical Damage
    While we had previously taken the stance that we didn’t want Perception to have synergy with critical strike damage or chance, the game has changed an awful lot and we no longer feel that this option is off the table. As such, this month we’re rolling out the following changes to the Perception stat.

• Up to total player Perception of 500,000, for every 5,000 total Player Perception, a player gains 1% critical damage bonus.
    • Starting at total player Perception 500,001 and beyond, the formula changes to 1% critical damage for every 10,000 total Player Perception.
    Edit, I see that it is Critical Damage bonus, not critical chance bonus. My personal opinion is they should be a little more linked so one could get their crit bonus up even if only from 4% (I think) to 10%; maybe 1% Crit Bonus Chance for every 10K perception up to a max of 60K.

Edit 2: Will this bonus damage work with forced crits?

<quote>While we had previously taken the stance that we didn’t want Perception to have synergy with critical strike damage or chance, the game has changed an awful lot and we no longer feel that this option is off the table. As such, this month we’re rolling out the following changes to the Perception stat.

Up to total player Perception of 500,000, for every 5,000 total Player Perception, a player gains 1% critical damage bonus.
    Starting at total player Perception 500,001 and beyond, the formula changes to 1% critical damage for every 10,000 total Player Perception.
    </quote>

Not sure but if my math is correct 500K means 100% crit then so why add another 1 % for each 10k after if you always crit allready.

World Mender
    Quote Originally Posted by deathstrokex View Post
    <quote>While we had previously taken the stance that we didn’t want Perception to have synergy with critical strike damage or chance, the game has changed an awful lot and we no longer feel that this option is off the table. As such, this month we’re rolling out the following changes to the Perception stat.

Up to total player Perception of 500,000, for every 5,000 total Player Perception, a player gains 1% critical damage bonus.
    Starting at total player Perception 500,001 and beyond, the formula changes to 1% critical damage for every 10,000 total Player Perception.
    </quote>

Not sure but if my math is correct 500K means 100% crit then so why add another 1 % for each 10k after if you always crit allready.
    I made that mistake initially too. It is a damage bonus for crits, not the chance of having crits.

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by ODragon View Post
    Edit, I see that it is Critical Damage bonus, not critical chance bonus. My personal opinion is they should be a little more linked so one could get their crit bonus up even if only from 4% (I think) to 10%; maybe 1% Crit Bonus Chance for every 10K perception up to a max of 60K.
    I think the base critical chance is 2% -adding an increase to the chance of getting a critical wil make a major difference to my damage - I run Boars, TFL and typically have a 72% critical change an extra 6% would be very welcome

If this is a starter to Perc2.0 I'm okay with this staged approach - hopefully 5PG will provide us with regular updates as they move to the next element of Perc 2.0, however I would urge caution on what is shared and when. Use the council, moderators and/or selected players as sounding boards rather than the forum as I'd bet anything shared here will be used to beat you about the head

Under promise and over deliver please.

World Mender
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaek View Post
    I think the base critical chance is 2% -adding an increase to the chance of getting a critical wil make a major difference to my damage - I run Boars, TFL and typically have a 72% critical change an extra 6% would be very welcome

Then it would be 8% since I meant Base % + X% = 10% max. Heck, even if it just went up to 5%, it would be a good bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaek View Post
    If this is a starter to Perc2.0 I'm okay with this staged approach - hopefully 5PG will provide us with regular updates as they move to the next element of Perc 2.0, however I would urge caution on what is shared and when. Use the council, moderators and/or selected players as sounding boards rather than the forum as I'd bet anything shared here will be used to beat you about the head
    IF this is a starter, than I agree with you. Pun intended, but it is a big if.

Sister of Radiance Achievements's Avatar

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    I feel like this version of Perc 2.1 is the emergency exit since we never stopped complaining, to implement "something" and do a check mark next to it :/

Why would 5,000 extra perc/+1% crit damage from questing gear with terrible procs be better than a normal battle set that procs millions?

You could simply create a Perception Chest like the old Levelling Chest, that can be opened once a certain number is reached, containing a boost or familiars with the appropriate boosts to the character...

Sister of Radiance

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    This taste of the game is a bit light

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Sweet sotg, I'm looking forward to all of this already! Well, except the pvp event thing. I recently hit immortal and people will be farming the fresh meat non-stop for sure now...
    As for perception updates, I get the feeling some people are just expecting a little too much. It's not a make or break thing for me personally and I would already be very happy with some minor additions to the droptable, it does get a little barren after you find all the Panoptica stuff. Hoping the new WR has some juicy loot, ED2 ready and standing by!
    Last edited by Wreckmeister; 1st December 2016 at 21:45.

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Phase 2.1
    Fellow Dragon-Rider and Drake enthusiast eevee created a great thread in November talking to fellow players about different ideas and concepts to make Perception Phase 2 into a reality. We had recently applied a renewed focus on Perception with the desire to get something tangible into the game this month.

We saw this thread as a wonderful opportunity to have an open dialogue with the community about different ideas and concepts for the feature and has greatly helped us zero in on good improvements for the future.

Critical Damage
    While we had previously taken the stance that we didn’t want Perception to have synergy with critical strike damage or chance, the game has changed an awful lot and we no longer feel that this option is off the table. As such, this month we’re rolling out the following changes to the Perception stat.

This was our initial pass at the concept. It touches on a few important factors:

• Perception becomes useful outside of just questing; it's now desirable for raiding.
    • It makes Perception gear more viable for a raiding environment.
    • Doable in a reasonable amount of time (low tech budget approach).
    • Thematically ties in well to Perception.

Again, this isn’t necessarily the entirety of how Perception will function in the game going forward, but it's a very good starting point and helps bring more relevance to Perception as a whole.

What about the future?
    That’s going to depend a little on the needs of the game and also you, the players. We have really enjoyed talking with you about this subject and want to continue exploring ideas and options for ways to make Perception a more desirable stat.
    This really isn't Making Perception USEFUL in Raiding.. for 90% of players adding to the Crit damage Does nothing and Won't make Wearing "Perception gear useful in Raiding"

If you have max Perception Tier at the Moment it is
    4% chance of 50% Crit damage
    This Is Rubbish and if it was a Magic would never be applied to a Raid EVER.

All adding this in is an Easy out to appease people thinking they Actually Got something.
    Last edited by 'Beta Nu'; 1st December 2016 at 22:10.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

The Immortal Insurgi, 16th Drake Slayer, 12th Demigod. Insurgi's (AP, FS, OS, Max) Raid Damage Table

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    What about Green Killers essence from festival? That hasn't been around since the first one.

Sargaash the Mighty equal
    Looking forward to the PvP event.
    If you want to "ignore" someone on the forum just click their name, click profile, and beneath their avatar you'll see an ignore link. Comes in really handy at times when you don't want to deal with that certain someone's constant negativity.

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Sorry, I was really underwhelmed by this SotG.

Not to mention that I really do not understand why the devs keep trying to force pvp onto us. This is not a pvp game.

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by SG8888 View Post
    Not to mention that I really do not understand why the devs keep trying to force pvp onto us. This is not a pvp game.
    There are some player(s) who believe the entire game is PvP make of that as you will . I think Tito may disagree with your statement.

Quote Originally Posted by TitoBandito View Post
    Looking forward to the PvP event.
    Clearly DotD is a broad church - the more bits the better to my mind - will I participate? I have no idea but it's great to have a choice.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast