Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [August 5th, 2015] Big Bug Raids and Mount Enchants

My Platform(s)
    Multiple

[August 5th, 2015] Big Bug Raids and Mount Enchants

Greetings and welcome to another edition of Developer’s Digest. If you’re just joining us for the first time, this is an ongoing Wednesday only post that provides insight and answers from the Dawn Development team (mostly from me, Mouse) into community concerns and questions.

Two Questions
    Today Mouse will be answering two questions that have come up from the community. These questions have answers but perhaps the answer isn’t verbose enough to warrant an entire Developer Digest in its honor or maybe Mouse finally got himself free of the blasted mouse-trap that the database folks keep around the servers (this really is for the best) thus giving him the necessary extra time to cover two topics instead of one; regardless of the reason let’s get to your questions, adventurers!

Big Bug Raids
    We’ve gotten quite a few requests for more of these, but in truth this raid type was never actually intended to extend beyond N’rlux. Back when this raid was introduced our technical limits were much greater, and it was far easier for us to simply add a new race as opposed to setting items up to deal special damage against that specific raid.

However, times change and utilizing the “Big Bug” race is something we’re discussing a bit more internally. There are a few plausible ways we could make this work and some adjustments that’d make the transition fairly smooth, but at the moment we have a lot of races that deserve some extra attention so we don’t feel an immediate need to address this concern.

Mount Enchants
    Changing the way the enchanting system works or adding on to what currently exists is something we’ve talked about both internally and within the forums quite a bit, and we’ve had numerous players suggest that we introduce a way to “enchant” your mount (like a special saddle or horse shoes perhaps), we think these are cool ideas and it’s definitely not off the table of possibilities.

Right now we want to focus a lot of our attention on bug fixes and some big ticket items like Perception Phase 2, but diversifying enchants and making some that are “slot” specific (such as main hand items only for example) would open a lot of possibilities for the design team to make some new and interesting enchantments.

Conclusion
    We hope you’ve enjoyed the Developer Digest for today, folks. Be sure to continue asking Logann your burning questions and the dev. team will continue to write up responses!
    Until next time, adventurers!

--------

Posted on the behalf of Mouse, by Logann.

Please leave your feedback and questions here for possibly getting them answered by the team.
    ** NOTE: Not every question can or will be answered, but we will do our best to answer as many as possible. This will be a Wednesday digest of Questions and Answers.

Logann
    Dragon Tamer

(22:00) Bright: rumour has it; a stare from Logann is like being pummeled by a million yotsuba's

(22:01) Sheetuya: i've heard Logann has tied with Chuck Norris in a round house battle!

(21:13) Limi: Logann hugs da best.

(19:12) Thanatos: Logann and Chuck Norris faced off thus became known as the The Big Bang!!!

(4:09) Viskadel: Logann wants to shank the lag beast

(0:24) Sycall: I hear the Logann Chat Ban is so strong, it makes you mute in the real world until the time is over

Spell Slinger

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Logann View Post
    However, times change and utilizing the “Big Bug” race is something we’re discussing a bit more internally. There are a few plausible ways we could make this work and some adjustments that’d make the transition fairly smooth, but at the moment we have a lot of races that deserve some extra attention so we don’t feel an immediate need to address this concern.
    So, instead of adding more enemies to Insect race, that exist for 3+ years, you rather create brand new races (Plant + Terror - both in 2 weeks).
    Sorry, but this explanation looks like a contradiction to what is actually happening.
    Na ArmorGames hledáme členy pro naší gildu CZ+SK !

World Mender

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    A lot of the races need attention imo.

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    i just hope Big Bug doesn t mean another gigantic

Leader of Kronos II

Sargaash the Mighty equal miztickow's Avatar

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    What do the devs think of splitting enchants the way LOTS does it? In LOTS, there are stat, proc, and glow enchants, and you can have one of each on a single piece of equipment at the same time.

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by veny View Post
    So, instead of adding more enemies to Insect race, that exist for 3+ years, you rather create brand new races (Plant + Terror - both in 2 weeks).
    Sorry, but this explanation looks like a contradiction to what is actually happening.
    There was also Beasts when we already had Beastmen.

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Mount enchants would be interesting, but I imagine largely useless in the face of a mount's raw damage, unless the enchants were also percentage-based. Which would be cool, but then it'd just drive up the power creep even more, which... would not be all that cool.

As for big bugs, I always thought Wexxa should've been tagged as that, since she is technically riding a very large worm.

Spell Slinger

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Mount enchants would be interesting, but I imagine largely useless in the face of a mount's raw damage, unless the enchants were also percentage-based. Which would be cool, but then it'd just drive up the power creep even more, which... would not be all that cool.

As for big bugs, I always thought Wexxa should've been tagged as that, since she is technically riding a very large worm.
    Depending on the definition of a big "bug".
    If you take a "bug" like the insect, Wexxa is not a bug.
    If you take a "bug" like all Athropods (you know, exoskeleton, segmented body, no vertebrae), Wexxa is a bug, same as Arachna and MAYBE Corrupted Wilds.

About mount enchants: percental boost would be cool (10% for 10% is not as much) ... at least Drogan would get some boost.
    Tomorrow you will propably see what DEVs could do with mount mimic (Possible spoiler: Tuss-like-ring-in-RNG-chest *cough*).

Silver Arrow

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post

Arachna..it's literally a big spider (potter anyone?).

Beasts and beastmen tho are different..one is anthropomorphic (think that's the right word) more human like, the other is on all fours...6's...etc. Altho being an anime geek i think more beastmen...catgirls and..^.^ nyaa.. hehe. Bad joke but had to.

N'rlux is a staple of guild raids, and upgrades, so it would make sense to give him..her..it some love. But I agree a bit that new raid types aren't really needed as opposed to fixing some of the newer "test" upgrades...like summoner loot, and gigantics.

Anyhew..onto more positive things. Enchanting mounts seems great. But aside from glows (and with the aesthetic options coming) will the mount images change/personal enchantments show up as well, like say, be spiked shoes, or a fiery aura..etc? When you think about it..a saddle so you can get some traction would raise the effectiveness of the mount..and make it's real damage upgraded a bit..

Big bugs might be good..altho a wee bit common of a type in games. Especially medival-esque ones. I agree some other races could use some attention (and with halloween coming, it's a great time for demons (demon generals, we have angels..why not?)) and beastmen. Like a good orange, they're in season ^.^

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    (Possible spoiler: Tuss-like-ring-in-RNG-chest *cough*).
    Kinda hard to "spoil" something that's already more than a month old.

Patch Notes - 26 June: http://www.dawnofthedragons.com/foru...June-26th-2015

some discussions: http://www.dawnofthedragons.com/foru...ed-opportunity and http://www.dawnofthedragons.com/foru...-Clarification

Just because something is added to the data files on such-and-such-a-day doesn't mean they're actually accessible in game then. All the Gataalli stuff was added, but WRs were pushed back due to lag issues, so they've just been chilling where nobody can get to them yet. You're looking at the lists of an old update and assuming because the WR stuff is coming soon, everything else added at the same time is coming soon - even though they've already come and gone.

For another example of something in the data files that's technically been "in-game" for a long while, though not accessible to players, take a look at Wish.

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Quote Originally Posted by miztickow View Post
    There was also Beasts when we already had Beastmen.
    Two different things. Beasts are animals (or, at least, "monstrous" animals) operating on instinct.

Beastman, like Humans (or elves, dwarves, or the like - excepting that we don't fight them...) are thinking animals - and are generally humanoid.

A giant bat would be a beast. A pteropine beastman (Gravlok, for instance) would not be a beast.

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelyn View Post
    Two different things. Beasts are animals (or, at least, "monstrous" animals) operating on instinct.

Beastman, like Humans (or elves, dwarves, or the like - excepting that we don't fight them...) are thinking animals - and are generally humanoid.

A giant bat would be a beast. A pteropine beastman (Gravlok, for instance) would not be a beast.
    I know they're different (I have eyes), but they could have just added parentheses and turned "Beastman" into "Beast(man)". Adding "Beasts" seems like unnecessary clutter for the sake of income.

Silver Arrow

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Logann View Post
    Mount Enchants
    Changing the way the enchanting system works or adding on to what currently exists is something we’ve talked about both internally and within the forums quite a bit, and we’ve had numerous players suggest that we introduce a way to “enchant” your mount (like a special saddle or horse shoes perhaps), we think these are cool ideas and it’s definitely not off the table of possibilities.
    Pro Horse Shoes, Anti Horseshoes

Spell Slinger

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelyn View Post
    Kinda hard to "spoil" something that's already more than a month old.

Patch Notes - 26 June: http://www.dawnofthedragons.com/foru...June-26th-2015

some discussions: http://www.dawnofthedragons.com/foru...ed-opportunity and http://www.dawnofthedragons.com/foru...-Clarification

Just because something is added to the data files on such-and-such-a-day doesn't mean they're actually accessible in game then. All the Gataalli stuff was added, but WRs were pushed back due to lag issues, so they've just been chilling where nobody can get to them yet. You're looking at the lists of an old update and assuming because the WR stuff is coming soon, everything else added at the same time is coming soon - even though they've already come and gone.

For another example of something in the data files that's technically been "in-game" for a long while, though not accessible to players, take a look at Wish.
    I know, i know.
    I was only telling that there already ARE items, that mimic proc of the mounts. So there is no reason (technical or ballance) for not adding enchantment that would mimic mounts (or items).

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Main hand only enchants...... please give me the Orb of Aldur

Night Blade

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    The biggest problem I can see with mount enchants being percentage based is that it would make Drogan even more overpowered. Since it would be an enchant, Drogan ought to be able to mimic it, giving him basically Tussao's mimic in addition to his existing mimic (since the enchant would presumably be much less than the base damage of the mount, but Drogan's mimic is a larger amount of the proc copied). Plus he summons runes.

On the other hand, adding a fixed damage proc to mounts like other enchants would mean that the enchant doesn't really add much to the mount. So why have them in the first place?

Personally, rather than adding mount enchants, I would rather have enchants split into a LoTS-like system. Especially since it would tie in rather well to vanity sets (so you could just use a glow rune on a vanity piece instead of adding useless stat and procs to them). It would also open the door to more variety in terms of possible costuming events based on vanity wear, since people could use different glows for the same set to achieve different looks.

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Speaking of the Big Bug and N'rlux, it'd be nice to have a better way to get the eyes... maybe if more big bug raids are added, these can be added to the loot tiers? Or made a more frequent on-hit drop?

Spell Slinger

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Quote Originally Posted by LyreAB View Post
    The biggest problem I can see with mount enchants being percentage based is that it would make Drogan even more overpowered. Since it would be an enchant, Drogan ought to be able to mimic it, giving him basically Tussao's mimic in addition to his existing mimic (since the enchant would presumably be much less than the base damage of the mount, but Drogan's mimic is a larger amount of the proc copied). Plus he summons runes.
    Overpowered ? Well, he is exact opposite of overpowered.
    Zumara - 100PC - can mimic items, proc of many sets are 3M+ per item ... runes ? 300k per rune
    Tussao - 100PC - can mimic mounts (that mimic your actual damage) ... can summon mounts (even the PC ones)
    Drogan - 150PC - can mimic runes that are weak as hell. Yeah, his stats are good, but proc is weak. Oh and rune summon ability ? Yes, he summon come scrap, once per few days he summons some good rune. BUT runes are not like mounts - you need 1 or 2 mounts mostly. Runes ? You need 10 of them for ONE set of items ... Without summoning ability, he would be completely useless. Anyway, he is not summoning anything, that is better than what you can get for free...
    Oh, and no achievement for runes owned ...

So, who is overpowered ?

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Overpowered ? Well, he is exact opposite of overpowered.
    Zumara - 100PC - can mimic items, proc of many sets are 3M+ per item ... runes ? 300k per rune
    Tussao - 100PC - can mimic mounts (that mimic your actual damage) ... can summon mounts (even the PC ones)
    Drogan - 150PC - can mimic runes that are weak as hell. Yeah, his stats are good, but proc is weak. Oh and rune summon ability ? Yes, he summon come scrap, once per few days he summons some good rune. BUT runes are not like mounts - you need 1 or 2 mounts mostly. Runes ? You need 10 of them for ONE set of items ... Without summoning ability, he would be completely useless. Anyway, he is not summoning anything, that is better than what you can get for free...
    Oh, and no achievement for runes owned ...

So, who is overpowered ?
    1) The concept of >100PC Premies was not around at the time of Zumara and Tussao. Mouse has specifically stated that some Premiums wouldn't have been priced as they were if they were released as they are, today.

2) Tussao is only strong if you have decent mounts/damage [which most players do]. Zumara and Drogan are not grievously different in their potential damage output; if a player is running around with super Proc gear [typically PC gear], like Hydra Warrior, Azarel's, Marine Explorer, Rising Dawn and such, then yes, a double set would proc nicely for Zumara. Drogan, on the other hand, gets up to 9 procs from self, up to 9 more from Commander, and procs at a 250% value. A single good rune could grievously jump up this [since it basically gets multiplied 18x, and 2.5x besides].

World Mender
    Totally agreeing. Because ...

Quote Originally Posted by miztickow View Post
    I know they're different (I have eyes), but they could have just added parentheses and turned "Beastman" into "Beast(man)". Adding "Beasts" seems like unnecessary clutter for the sake of income.
    Currently trying to share awareness on this - I realized that I dont really need anymore Premium Generals, esp with the Lockbox Premium nonsense~! And -1 to the AP Zone, AND Shop~! And the World Server~! And the 2.5T WR~!
    - Started around Xmas Eve '2010. Lena told me so. And, all the best to her, and Cleo. Never expect myself to outstay them here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast