Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [May 4th, 2015] Freemiums

Golden Garden Monk
    Freemium troops please i've got to many powerful generals and not enough spots to use them in but i could always use more troops

World Mender
    I am liking the discussions here, even if I dont agree with some of the points.

Anyway, this comment stirred me to reply ...

Quote Originally Posted by ogodno View Post
    Freemium troops please i've got to many powerful generals and not enough spots to use them in but i could always use more troops
    Firstly, check my signature.

Secondly, I had got a feeling that the upcoming Dawnni premium (still hoping against hope that it will be delayed for a month or two, again, check my signature) ... will be a General. (Why, you asked? Suddenly the newer legions have more General slots, hmmm ...)

Thirdly ... will just like to stress that a freemium should be like Dahrizon. Do-able anytime in the game with a feature anyone can complete (as always, not everyone can complete a Campaign), and scalable, yet not as powerful as a premium.

Although I 100% support a boost to Dahrizon in 2015 (the free generals would catch up on him soon enough), the fact is that the company would always make Mouse the freemium stronger than Dahrizon, simply because one is now the chief dev, while the other has left the company. Sigh ...
    Currently trying to share awareness on this - I realized that I dont really need anymore Premium Generals, esp with the Lockbox Premium nonsense~! And -1 to the AP Zone, AND Shop~! And the World Server~! And the 2.5T WR~!
    - Started around Xmas Eve '2010. Lena told me so. And, all the best to her, and Cleo. Never expect myself to outstay them here ...

Silver Arrow

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    I like the idea of freemiums that have some kind of ability that means there will be some special situations where they get to be used eg: special slots in legions, crit bonuses vs certain raid types, chance to summon something from a table unique to them, bonus to drop rates of a special item *Nr'lux eyes *, maybe a style of freemium that is also an adventurer - or could be added to your colly team.

It adds flavour, and variety to our game, as well as a chance at something unusual to happen.

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    One point for Tesuji/Sorelio to consider...

While the notion of a semi-Premie Freemium to "close the gap" [i.e. cannot use with the Premium, but similar-if-weaker ability] looks fine as an initial prospect, the moment you consider the implications I think it doesn't solve much of anything.

If it's 50% as strong as the representative Premium [let's say Tussao, for this example], people will complain that the 50% remaining gap is still a paid-requirement and would not recommend the game accordingly. Anything short of an obscenely close value [90+%, if I had to guess] would likely achieve the same.

Fortunately, there is a free method to obtain the likes of Tussao and such, it just takes daily logging-in and time.

That being said, I think there are a lot of avenues for Free/Premiums that haven't been explored yet... There have been some really neat ideas so far in this thread!

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    I would actually prefer freemium gear that grows with you in questing. For example, gear that is specific vs *area* raids like All roads lead, Bludheim should grow if you fight either quest bosses or raid bosses (and wearing that set), with the growth rate of fighting a NM quest boss equivalent to fighting 10 NM raid version of the boss. The growth could either be talent tree (direct stats, proc damage, crit rate, crit chance, proc chance) or a predetermined order by the devs. Personally prefer the tree, but that could be more complicated data to store

I would also prefer a freemium legion that grows based on how many different kinds of gens and troops you have. It could be a talent tree growth (gen slots, troop slots, base power bonus, special power bonus, proc damage, proc rate) or a particular path planned by the devs.

Although personally, the freemium gear/legion should be red prince/henchmen which you get in KB/NR/KT, not a new legion/set since you do invest quite a lot of AP to get the stuff and it would be more tolerable to justify spending AP. I'd also prefer if the freemium could be unlocked via the same way you can unlock Mina 3, via crafting Mina's wishes, (even though the getting the drop to upgrade is a headache as is)

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Another suggestion I would like to throw out is cross-over freemiums, where for reaching/completing certain milestones in another 5PG game, you can get a random code for 1x redeemable freemium. A good start is a lot of players play LoTS in addition to DoTD, perhaps some specific quest boss or completing an AP tier rewards a redeemable code for a special freemium or awards a random old premium

Night Blade

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
    Another suggestion I would like to throw out is cross-over freemiums, where for reaching/completing certain milestones in another 5PG game, you can get a random code for 1x redeemable freemium. A good start is a lot of players play LoTS in addition to DoTD, perhaps some specific quest boss or completing an AP tier rewards a redeemable code for a special freemium or awards a random old premium
    Strongly dislike that. I'd be okay with some vanity item like that. But a freemium based on a player's activity in a completely different game that a player otherwise might not care about? A definite NO. DotD is big enough, there's no need to artificially extend it to incorporate other games.

Sargaash the Mighty equal miztickow's Avatar

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
    That's an interesting idea, though maybe it would be better as an optional boosting, like it gets boosted by a similar thing from DOTD or LOTS (whichever is higher).

My Platform(s)
    World Server
    1) A legion (Ravenguard III) whose power bonus vs campaigns grows in increments of +75% with number of challenges on the campaign available for level 15 guilds.

2) A neck that boosts proc rate of equipped mount by 1%+0.0%*X, where X is the number of unique items in player's inventory (Max 5%).

3) Any troop or gen that has EVERY instead of ANY, so it could be (to use a ridiculous example) EVERY/EVERY/EVERY troop = all races/ all roles / all attributes so it fits into every race lock slot and counts as every race simultaneously so it boosts every thing using a particular race troop as fodder, likewise it gets boosted by anything boosting a particular race. Same for role and attribute it boosts a general that grows with number of intellect troops as well as gets boosted by a general boosting all strength troop and receives a +50 atk from Dak because it's a melee too, etc. But the actual Freemium would only have max one EVERY. Could call it Morph too.

bring back macheon!

Spell Slinger

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Anti-camp freemium powered by adventures and adventurers:

http://www.dawnofthedragons.com/foru...paign-freemium
    Na ArmorGames hledáme členy pro naší gildu CZ+SK !

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    When is Guster getting a freemium? :3

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    I d like a freemium that is low in stats but with a fun ability ( like do a yell and do some damage) and creates his own slot in legions, making him free to add.

Leader of Kronos II

Night Blade

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpslap2 View Post
    I d like a freemium that is low in stats but with a fun ability ( like do a yell and do some damage) and creates his own slot in legions, making him free to add.
    Or a freemium familiar with a variable proc instead of stat growth might work better, since it wouldn't require additional development of legions to add another slot to existing ones. Maybe making Dawniversary familiars freemiums would work.

World Mender

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by LanderZ View Post
    One point for Tesuji/Sorelio to consider...

While the notion of a semi-Premie Freemium to "close the gap" [i.e. cannot use with the Premium, but similar-if-weaker ability] looks fine as an initial prospect, the moment you consider the implications I think it doesn't solve much of anything.

If it's 50% as strong as the representative Premium [let's say Tussao, for this example], people will complain that the 50% remaining gap is still a paid-requirement and would not recommend the game accordingly. Anything short of an obscenely close value [90+%, if I had to guess] would likely achieve the same.

Fortunately, there is a free method to obtain the likes of Tussao and such, it just takes daily logging-in and time.

That being said, I think there are a lot of avenues for Free/Premiums that haven't been explored yet... There have been some really neat ideas so far in this thread!
    It doesn't /solve/ the issue, but it /does/ ameliorate it.

Also, I don't mind even non-freemium unique troops with stats only maybe 50-100% above regular troops at the same time. Just getting named people rather than generic nobodies is nice.

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    incoming wall of text:

as with most games/issues, this boils down to a PTW vs FTP argument. players who pay for the cool stuff, that's obvious, devs should reward them with sweet stuff. but there are other kinds of players important to the community:

A+: the pay a lot, and they put in a ton of time, they should be at the top, no question. freemiums will probably regularly be sidelined or used to fill a weirdly segmented legion requirement.
    A-: they pay a lot, but only play as much as necessary to finish wr's, events, they have the cool stuff so they don't need to put in a ton of time, but maybe miss out on the things that take a ton of playing.

B+: they've put in a few bucks for the occasional prem/potion, but the rely on putting in a lot of time, this is the kind of player that is/should be rewarded by fremiums that actually hold up to some of the PTW premiums. maybe not tuss level, but dahrizon, logann, mina3, are great examples of putting time and effort in to get a decent reward. more on this below.

B-: lots of time, but never payed, they earn a decent amount of pc from kb's and leveling, but miss out on some of the top content. fremiums are a great way to reward some of their dedication, and give them something to work towards, knowing that time and persistence will pay off.

C/D: don't play much, just empty bars with no focus, sometimes get some pc rewards. these players are a big part of the community but aren't necessarily the target audience for fremiums, or other high end stuff. chance drops like logann are a plus, but lack of focus means they might not get things that need to be looked for.

B+ breakdown: i think Mina, Logann, Tormod, brann and Dahr are 5 great examples of the different kinds of fremiums. sadly other decent examples are few beyond them.

Dahr: basically a must have, as a new player you are told to work on this, and it's a great goal for the first few hundred levels. along with SOWW and a few other things, this is going to be how you play the game for a while when you start. i think a new epic quest chain for players verging on immortal would be a great thing to work towards

Tormod: even the most casual of players can eventually rack up enough end-camp loots to get this guy, and he's not weak. it's not an obvious freemium, but one that takes a bit of persistance for players of any level or playstyle. the ability to aquire, and his power, scale reasonably with the player as well. tormod fits into the gimme category, but isn't a handout either.

Mina3: a huge craft line spanning 4 zones is pretty awesome. this takes some dedication and bears the title of freemium like a champ. huge stats for a troop, and very cool healing factor in an age of NMQ raids and elites that have brought on a new system for spending sp on hp. i wouldn't say mina is a necessary get, but a huge asset and well worth the trouble.

Brann: a big payoff for players that have been around a while, and a cool beast for new players as well. his buffs and craftable upgrades have been really well designed and are a good payoff that scales well with players and is very accessible to new ones as well. while only accessible once a year, i think brann is one of the better designed generals that holds weights against some of the top premiums. some other WR gens might not count as freemium but they have included scaling factors as well which has been nice to see. but, it would be nice to see some updates to old favourites, or add in new ones.

Logann: a great and useful scaling gen that scales well and fits well into the B+ players legions. the randomness of the drop is a bit of a turn off, but is a cool find for new players none the less. this kind of freemium accessibility is good for the C level players as well (they need the odd bone too).

conclusion: take-aways

1) i think having scaling gens from wr's, and even raids is something that has been happening and should keep happening, i like it. i think it's good for the game, and it keeps content relevant longer. gens that need to farm troops to scale are a tricky thing if their raid becomes moot (i would compare a) some of the plant gens/troops that are very inaccessible/niched, not great to begin with and also nearly useless for the kinds of players that do have access (looking at ajen), to b) griela or hoton that have good stats and are quite accessible. whether it's powered up like Brann, or something a bit more subtle like Armory, i think this is a key type of freemium to be including. a lot of the gen's on the wiki freemium page fit well into this category but reward players with saved pots or money and not necessarily dedication.

2) necessary freemiums like darhizon should be extremely limited, likewise with freebee's like logan. they feel like a chore, or like a chance, neither of which are fun. while cool, dotd shouldn't be a must-do game, part of its appeal is that you can do basically whatever you want and be successful.

2b) mina fits well into this category, she is not needed, but a cool thing to work for, and she does take some work. tormod also promoted guild participation which can be lacking for a lot of casuals, i think he is a well designed freemium that is also useful.

3) bad freemiums: pick one. Froggie. the only thing good about him is that he is a gnome. quite a few wr rewards without scaling barely remained relevant content. players strong enough to get the gen didn't need them, and low level players that might use it couldn't get it, this happens far too often. as a dev, i'd be disappointed to see some cool content i made that never sees play.

3b. places where freemiums would be nice to see:
    -adventures
    -pvp (lets face it, the current rewards are severely lacking)
    -lower tiers on wr. i think having boosts/mounts/unique items at the top tiers is great to see. new players can use soww on everything and be successful, while stronger players get boosts to keep the gen competitive, and can number crunch when to use boar/soww/new set.

4. keeping things stackable/farmable/growable: this allows gens to remain relevant for a long time, or return to being relevant for a while, or dip in and out as the wr's cycle. my favourite freemium is armory. getting a boost every few months keeps him in most of my legions, dipping in and out as wr's ebb in and out, or i acquire something with some pc. genevieve or medea (a huge plot character) would be poor examples of this. logann would be a great example of where the gen grows with the drakes, but did not grow as fast as the player, eventually phasing out. dev's put in a boost to keep him relevant which i'm not really phased by, but i think it's ok to let things cycle out after they've seen a lot of play.

5. not just for gen's but a lot of old content requires a lot of work for marginal (if any) reward, while it used to be relevant, a lot of legendary items are just something for completionists to do between events. not necessarily a criticism, but something to consider that what is considered to be new content, will eventually be out-dated content. true freemiums should have much longer, perhaps persistent playability, while wr rewards, and craft/farm gens less so.

TL;DR: freemiums should be a pleasant reward for dedication to a goal, not a chance drop, or obtainable only by those who won't use it.

there have been some very cool (and also some very poorly thought out) ideas in this thread. i hope to see more!

anywho, i hope this was read and mulled over... and at least provided some food for thought for players (and hopefully devs, too).

World Mender
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by khes View Post
    Brann: a big payoff for players that have been around a while...
    Who is Brann?

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by khes View Post
    wall of text
    which is the full name of brann?
    Starting 10/10/2010
    Immortal 5/18/2015
    Duel r44-Colosseum r40-Invasion r32
    P.B. 23,68b

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    I would guess Bernie otherwise I'm (and the wiki is) missing someone

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    For most long time players generals aren t that needed because they don t increase the legions as much or at all. I don t have a legion that fits all my premiums for instance. The most logical conclusion would be to focus on troops, because there are more slots for troops compared to generals, unfortunately those slots are getting pretty full as well for me personally. So let me think outside the box with you.

- a troop that drops honor potions
    - a troop with a connection to tailoring that makes premiums scale because it counts as 3 headpieces, 3 chests etc. (passive boosts)
    - a troop with a passive ability like boosting each stat by 0,5 % on that stat (passive boosts)
    - a troop that creates his own slot in a legion, thus not taking a spot away from another troop
    - a construct general that can be used as an armament
    - a troop that scales on consumables
    - an armament that has a 0.01 chance to break and become 2 different (predetermined) armaments

just some random thoughts, hope it helps
    Toine

Leader of Kronos II

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast