Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!

Thread: [Dec 3rd, 2014] Crafting Improvements

My Platform(s)
    Multiple

[Dec 3rd, 2014] Crafting Improvements

Greetings and welcome to another edition of Developer’s Digest. If you’re just joining us for the first time, this is an ongoing and daily (as time permits) post that provides insight and answers from the Dawn Development team (mostly from me, Mouse) into community concerns and questions.

Crafting Improvements
    The crafting page introduced some pretty major quality of life improvements, but there’s still more work to be done. Currently we’re not utilizing the subtab system to the best of its capabilities, and that’s something we’d like to start improving.

Besides adding better subtabs, we think we might have some opportunities to make the search feature a little better as well. We are also going to evaluate the existing tabs to see if there are changes/additions worth making there (IE a Stat tab) for the future.

We already have some feedback on this, but if there are certain additions or changes you’d like to see made to the crafting page, please let us know!

Conclusion
    We hope you’re having a great Wednesday so far folks! The beardmice and I will see you tomorrow for another Developer Digest.

--------
    Posted on the behalf of Mouse, by Logann.

Please leave your feedback and questions here for possibly getting them answered by the team.
    ** NOTE: Not every question can or will be answered, but we will do our best to answer as many as possible. This will be a daily, or nearly daily digest of Questions and Answers.

Logann
    Dragon Tamer
    Last edited by Logann; 23rd March 2015 at 23:10.

(22:00) Bright: rumour has it; a stare from Logann is like being pummeled by a million yotsuba's

(22:01) Sheetuya: i've heard Logann has tied with Chuck Norris in a round house battle!

(21:13) Limi: Logann hugs da best.

(19:12) Thanatos: Logann and Chuck Norris faced off thus became known as the The Big Bang!!!

(4:09) Viskadel: Logann wants to shank the lag beast

(0:24) Sycall: I hear the Logann Chat Ban is so strong, it makes you mute in the real world until the time is over

Sargaash the Mighty equal miztickow's Avatar

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Whatever you do, please don't make it like the LOTS craft category revamp. That thing is an abominable mess...

Silver Arrow

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by miztickow View Post
    Whatever you do, please don't make it like the LOTS craft category revamp. That thing is an abominable mess...
    ++

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Could be nice if you add a way to break items into shards and forge them into new items/pots/whatever
    a Forge tab if you will, a player will put in items to decompose, based on the item rarity he will have a chance at getting certain type of shards.
    Using these shards , may it be same color or mixed, with and additional trigger item ( i.e Beastier will give vs Beast ability to the forged item/pot/whatever ) will forge a new item.
    This can be RNG based per combination.

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Why dummies don't give previous rewards like last festival?

The rewards on this are pretty bad.

Edit: Another question: What is the purpose of Chilling? I can understand the others (curse, vengeful, etc.) but chilling seems created only to irritate the player.

Related with that: how would be chilling affected for the 5x20 button if it's implemented? Will hit until chilling effect?
    Last edited by JLeira; 4th December 2014 at 13:18. Reason: More questions! :D
    Back to Dawn, you can't leave this game.

Night Blade

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    There needs to go some serious thought into how to divide recipes properly into subcategories, I won't do that here and now. But let me throw out a few other suggestions.

Crafting amount drop down:
    - Shouldn't switch back to 1 after crafting.
    - Should have more otions than just 1|5|max.
    (Crafting 100 troops for example is a real pain right now.)

Search function:
    - Recipes could use more tags to make the search function more useful. For example "Stat Points", "SP", and raid names (for recipes with crafties from raid drops).
    - Helpful would be a checkbox (or toggle button) to quickly switch between searching only in the current category or everywhere.

Customization:
    That one is a bit more complex and will require deeper mechanics changes but would seriously increase the QoL. Players differ in decisions about about what to craft, what to avoid crafting, and what to focus on at a given time. There can be different approaches about it, let me suggest something that isn't too dynamic but should adress the important issues. (And it also inlcudes ShadowWalker's Suggestion.)

Recipies should get some flags to allow the player to set some standard behaviour:
    - Players can favour a recipe. It then also shows up in a special "Favourite" category. (Good for recipes with current focus on. So the player doesn't forget about it and doesn't have to search it all the time again.)
    - Players can lock recipies. When they are ready to craft the crafting button is locked. Or maybe better it just produces an extra confirmation popup. (Good as a reminder when a player wants to keep crafties for something else and wants to avoid accidental crafting.)
    - For SP recipes a player can decide whether it appears in a special "All SP" category or not. There needs to be some thought about what to do when such a recipe becomes non-SP again, i.e., when it was a recraft for a unique item which was then upgraded. It shouldn't be a problem if it stays in "All SP" as any player who had put it there in the first place will likely want to just recraft the item and then craft SP again.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Craft_change.PNG 
Views:	114 
Size:	549.8 KB 
ID:	6617
    ^It could look roughly like this. (Ignore that the recipes in my pic aren't in the same category, I mixed it to cover different cases.)
    - Maybe the crafting page could also have a checkbox to hide locked recipes.
    - The "All SP" category should have "all" as the default crafting amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooktook View Post
    Could be nice if you add a way to break items into shards and forge them into new items/pots/whatever
    a Forge tab if you will, a player will put in items to decompose, based on the item rarity he will have a chance at getting certain type of shards.
    Using these shards , may it be same color or mixed, with and additional trigger item ( i.e Beastier will give vs Beast ability to the forged item/pot/whatever ) will forge a new item.
    This can be RNG based per combination.
    I don't like that. I know it's in other games, but I don't like it there either. Somehow those things give the game an even grindier touch. (Not that the game would actually become grindier, I just mean the general feel and perception of the game.) Besides, there's no need to give the older players an instant free bonus. Power gaps are big enough.

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Necro bump! I think this topic needs to be brought back. Because all the effort you put into this is vanishing right now!

Also @Logann is there a reason why the dev digests basically vanished?

Sargaash the Mighty equal Ahlyis's Avatar
    Hiding in a dark corner of your mind - sure is roomy in here!

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    The FIRST thing they need to fix, like immediately, is the mis-placement of crafting recipes.

Get those item crafts OUT of the collect tab! NOW!

Not only did they not fix this immediately when it first happened a month or so back, they have since compounded the problem by adding even more!
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    It takes 1 training manual and 1 steel to craft Mellana.
    After crafting Mellana the option to craft her is still there, but now it takes the steel and gives back 1 training manual...

Name:	DoTD-Mellana-crafts-Manual.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	7643

General Medea can be upgraded with Xalis' Harp.
    After upgrading General Medea the option to craft is still there, but into a human Piper troop that has half the power she has.

Name:	DoTD-Medea-crafts-Troops.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	7644
    This really doesn't make any sense to me so I'd prefer to keep General Medea.

Anyways a direct result of both these and from the loot I keep for next WR in a year or so...
    Perhaps the Devs could have checkbox to let us hide certain crafting recipes -
    and put a See Hidden option under the Unfiltered drop down menu?

Night Blade

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Instead of shoving everything into the collect tab, which has been what's been happening lately because the general tab is too full, how about adding additional sub-tabs? Break collect into two sub-tabs, SP Collection and Boosts. Break the General tab into two different tabs, General, with General and Lineage sub-tabs, and Event, with sub-tabs by WR/Event. That's a lot more tabs to add, but it also has the benefit of making it less important to have current event crafts in the new tab, since you can just select the tab for that particular event. It also lets you separate out all the boost crafts from cluttering the SP collections that people want to craft, so they don't have to load those every time they want to craft SP.

Disciple of the Traveller
    Quote Originally Posted by Casillia View Post
    It takes 1 training manual and 1 steel to craft Mellana.
    After crafting Mellana the option to craft her is still there, but now it takes the steel and gives back 1 training manual...

Name:	DoTD-Mellana-crafts-Manual.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	7643

General Medea can be upgraded with Xalis' Harp.
    After upgrading General Medea the option to craft is still there, but into a human Piper troop that has half the power she has.

Name:	DoTD-Medea-crafts-Troops.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	7644
    This really doesn't make any sense to me so I'd prefer to keep General Medea.

Anyways a direct result of both these and from the loot I keep for next WR in a year or so...
    Perhaps the Devs could have checkbox to let us hide certain crafting recipes -
    and put a See Hidden option under the Unfiltered drop down menu?
    this has been a long standing issue. for some reason they can't make a "done" marker for the clearly meant to be one time only crafts.

of late they are trying to make the extra craftings of them semi equal value, but the real issue is as you say, if they are a one and done craft, it should just be that.

Golden Garden Monk

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Some improvements I can think of:

Set the defaut for crafing at Max
    Move all the WR stuff to a different tab
    Make a button that will only show crafts resulting in SP
    Potentionally make the crafts half rhe size so 2x as many can fit on a page ( 2 next to each other horizontally)
    Autocraft at startup
    Hide receipies you don t want.

Leader of Kronos II

Sargaash the Mighty equal Ahlyis's Avatar
    Hiding in a dark corner of your mind - sure is roomy in here!

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpslap2 View Post
    Move all the WR stuff to a different tab
    Make a button that will only show crafts resulting in SP
    Potentionally make the crafts half rhe size so 2x as many can fit on a page ( 2 next to each other horizontally)
    Hide receipies you don t want.
    These all sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpslap2 View Post
    Set the defaut for crafing at Max
    Autocraft at startup
    These two, not so much.

In fact, the autocraft at startup is one of the worst requests I've heard lately. Please 5PG, do NOT implement any autocraft at startup mechanism without giving us a way to disable it, and have it start disabled on initial release!
    Azure Bonds on NAG has risen from the dead! We are now a level 10 guild with full guild shop access. Come join us!

World Mender

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    One of the most important things is to separate stuff that can be used to make other things from the true collection items. I don't want to feel like I'm navigating a minefield every single time I go to craft stats! I don't WANT to craft my skeleton arms or qwil goo into stats, and it would **** me right the hell off if I did it on accident, considering how many of the damnable things we need to actually craft anything!

My Platform(s)
    World Server
    Mouseover on a craft mat pops up tooltip that not only displays the usual pop up info for the item but also in say green text at the bottom explains how that particular craft mat can be obtained, e.g. for Mina's Wish the green text would read "Possible drop from Crimson Shadows mini-bosses and boss."

Some kind of indicator icon as to whether a given craft mat is used in another crafting recipe which does not result in sp for all craft mats appearing on the Collections tab.

Kinda out there this one, but maybe somebody will like it: Clicking on a craft mat's icon renders a search for recipes containing that craft mat in the search tab and such searches may be saved (and named by the user). Double clicking a craft mat's icon appends a search for recipes containing that craft mat to the search results already displayed in the search tab.

A big red Undo Last Craft button which, does exactly what you think an Undo Last Craft button should do: "refunds" the craft mats for the last recipe crafted after removing the result of that craft recipe from your inventory.

Harbinger on World Server lvl 2557 at the time of posting

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    With the search function on i think the less tabs the better, but i like the craft sp tab ideea so idk. Great job on the crafting pages so far, they load slightly faster for me ^^ - the pics i mean

Hi. i'm Pol from the Philippines ( Kaiser_Hades) .....I just want to share some of my ideas with the DEVs. Since the Last Devs in the Name of "Ryan Smash" have created Utym, an Earth Type element Magical Being, why not continue it by creating all the 4 Guardians (Earth, Wind, Water and Fire troop) each with their own type and set abilities. Like Utym whose attack/defense was boosted by the Players level and an additional boost to all unique troops by 150. Same with that other elemental types boost players attack/def base like Gen Codex., another is by increasing players stamina/energy/honor by collecting items like Machaon (Just an example). Almost stats with the 1st one (Utym) or even higher as your legacy troops Dev's. Make it a long term event (at least a year) wherein this legendary troops will be advertised for sale quarterly so everybody will have a chance to get it and yes of course they may cost like the first or maybe much higher defending on its stats and abilities. players nowadays does not want to waste money on low class heroes. and maybe upon collecting all 4 magical beings (elemental) will have them receive a memento from the Devs (Those 4 hero troops cOst a lot and it would be a great advertisement that upon collection will they receive a gift from the devs like a Necklace for free , maybe we can call it "Favor From The GODS" with growing stats like 100 PC Gen and troops (idea only). and collecting 2-3-4 elemental beings will have each different pattern of combo attack, dual combo for 2, 3 combo attk for 3, and a quadra attack upon collection of 4 (that's my idea) which would at least near the damage of Beast King (half damage of the mount). Another of my idea is that upon collection of the 4 and a Magical Necklace or item given by you Devs...will then open a new adventure or quest the Gates of the Heaven...wherein the prize (just like of the Dahrizon Quest) will be a General (Godlike type with 3 stars (any, any, any in abilities) and with a great growing stats.....or maybe sell it for 100PC's or more (Hope lower). this is to encourage new and old players that the game have evolve again into a new event. and maybe yearly the event will start again so for the new players will have chance to collect all of them.

and maybe this new Godlike Gen. will be much more like Kezerra nad Cornerstone who have their abilities based on players crystals owned getting them on every event and of course players will participate more in the event.

The last Novembers event was Great but many says that its only for the big players..how about the new and recent ones (barely made it to 10T but got them both) ..hope this idea of mine will encourage new and old players. We love the game, its interesting and very imaginative and hoping thru this ideas will have it win more players and more years to come. ^^V

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    It might be nice to have a filter option that only shows the recipes that I have not ever crafted. Some times I think it would be helpful to browse through and see the recipes I may still want to work towards without seeing partially complete recipes for things I have already made before. Some recipes you can tell you have made before, since the result box shows that you have one. However, other times the result may have been consumed in some other craft, and I am no longer interested in seeing it when looking for new things to craft.