Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State of the Game: December 2014

Dawn of the Dragons Developer Mouse's Avatar

State of the Game: December 2014

Introduction
    Greetings community!

November is resting comfortably on a stomach full of festive delights, but now itís Decemberís time to shine! Today weíre going to talk a little bit about the state of lockboxes, winter kessov and more. Without further delay, lets get into it!

Developer Digest
    We read and discuss everything that gets posted in the forums, but sometimes it can be hard to see that unless weíre in all those threads providing replies and posts. After some discussion, Logann has helped put together the Daily Digest.

Each day Logann takes topics from the community and presents them to the 5pg Development Team. We go through your topics, concerns, thoughts and feedback and then provide a one stop source for you to drop by and check out our replies.

Weíve really enjoyed writing these for you and hope youíve enjoyed reading them. If youíd like to read our list of Developer Digests, you can find them all here: http://www.dawnofthedragons.com/foru...87-Dev-Q-amp-A

Features vs Quality of Life
    Weíve talked about this in the past, but I wanted to show the community where the development teamís head is right now.

We love creating, adding and working on big new features, they can add a lot of life to the game in ways that were previously unthought of. But at this stage weíre pretty happy with the list of features we have right now and want to focus more on fixes and quality of life.

Now, we do still have new features weíd like to roll out. But some are smaller and easier and can arguably fit the quality of life category. A good example of this is the 100 button added to Suns recently - itís technically a new feature, but really a major quality of life improvement and thatís the kind of thing we really want to start getting to you.

Again, that doesnít mean there arenít big new features planned, but we feel itís more important to tweak existing features (example: Invasions) and add quality of life improvements.

Lockboxes: What now?
    Now that the transition of Vampiric Lockboxes have almost come to an end, youíre probably wondering whatís next for this feature.
    Originally (way back when we discussed doing the feature) our plan was to phase the Vampiric Lockbox out after a certain amount of time and then immediately implement a new box with new loot. Considering the feedback we received regarding the Vampiric Lockbox, our plans obviously changed a bit from the original concept.

We still want to utilize the Lockbox technology as itís pretty darn cool from a design perspective and gives us some great options. But as of right now, we donít have another lockbox on the schedule. Some day they will return, but we need to really discuss what changes need to be made to the system to make them a welcome addition to Dawn.

We would like to experiment with non-paid versions of lockboxes that require different chains of items and drops, but no new paid lockboxes are currently scheduled as of yet.

Winter Kessov: Length
    December means Kessov, Winter Kessov to be more specific!

Besides adding some new goodies to Kessov to help broaden it out a bit, you have collectively spoken as a community: Winter Kessov will be the standard 12 days as it has been in previous years. It was fantastic to see everyone come together and vote like that and we look forward to utilizing this for the future.

Yule Tribe Event
    This topic likely comes with much dread, but fear not! We will be making changes to the Yule Tribesman this year.

Weíre going to add new items that you can craft and acquire and will also be making this a month long event that will be removed in January. But weíre also going to make sure itís much more forgiving than it was last year and take away some of the grind.

With an event that will last an entire month we donít want to make it too easy, but last year it was simply frustrating beyond necessity so weíll be trying to strike a better balance this time around.

Conclusion
    Normally Iíd have included an ďunder the hoodĒ section to the SoTG, but that didnít feel as necessary this time since I disclosed some information about what to expect in December and a lot of our feature and improvement focus remains unchanged: improve retention and general new-player friendliness of the game while fixing up existing features, etc.

The Daily Digests have also been a place where I have touched on topics Iíd normally cover in the SoTG. Itís important that you still find value in reading the monthly SoTG, so please let us know if you feel the Daily Digests are impacting that in your eyes and we can adjust some stuff accordingly.

And with that, the beardmice and I are going to go scavenge for more Thanksgiving leftovers. Until next time, adventurers!

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    So um, is this a good time to bring up why Cleo is leaving, Crafted the story that we all know and love, sad sad news indeed.
    I want Everyone to Follow the Rules, ??,??? PC's Spent,Please Fix the Raid UI or Rollback to the Old one.

Tns Compliant.

Town Guard

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    immediately implement a new box with new loot. Considering the feedback we received regarding the Vampiric Lockbox, our plans obviously changed a bit from the original concept.

[..]

We would like to experiment with non-paid versions of lockboxes that require different chains of items and drops,
    I don't know if you guys even realize, but there would have been no fiasko/protest/uprising if the lockboxes
    a) hadn't contained a must-have premium and/or
    b) you had announced the free key plan in advance.

Not TOTALLY sure, but I think ONE of the two conditions would have been enough to avoid the meltdown. (And yes, I know there are a bunch of people who dislike lockboxes for various sane reasons, but there is a difference between dislike and quit the game.)

My Platform(s)
    World Server
    I still want cleo to not be gone but I gotta ask who gonna be writing the lore now? Stranger is doing it over at LoTS but over here: new hire or someone currently in the company?

Within our solar system there is a gap in the ordinal positioning of the planets. That gap is currently occupied by the asteroid belt. It has been hypothesized there was once a planet and some extraordinary cosmic event caused it to explode. The genesis, lore, and�history of our game takes place on that mythical planet
    . -Steve Pladson(Lead Developer for 5th Planet Games)

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrolizard View Post
    I still want cleo to not be gone but I gotta ask who gonna be writing the lore now? Stranger is doing it over at LoTS but over here: new hire or someone currently in the company?
    Cleo said Stranger would be taking over DotD as well.

Sargaash the Mighty equal miztickow's Avatar

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    I'm disappointed. I was looking forward to seeing the next lockbox and eventually having like 5 different keys available in the jeweler building and having to choose a priority.

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    So, you guys don't bother to address the departure of beloved staff members, nor do you mention your apparent (from my perspective at least) intent to shift to mobile games? And more importantly, what that means for Dawn? I'm disappointed.

My Platform(s)
    Newgrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by epicfail1994 View Post
    So, you guys don't bother to address the departure of beloved staff members, nor do you mention your apparent (from my perspective at least) intent to shift to mobile games? And more importantly, what that means for Dawn? I'm disappointed.
    To be fair 5PG do not mention staff moves as a general rule, and I think that's okay - if it's tough for us it's got to be tougher for 5PG (both those going and those staying)

Also 5PG have always stated that they wanted to be big in mobile - look at the attempt made with LoTS - mobile throws open a much much wider audience your early link referred to 300k downloads in a week if only 5% continue to play that will provide a community bigger than that of any of our current servers. NG excluded as we have a quality that transcends mere numbers
    Last edited by Michaek; 1st December 2014 at 23:17. Reason: tidy up

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaek View Post
    To be fair 5PG do not mention staff moves as a general rule, and I think that's okay - if it's tough for us it's got to be tougher for 5PG (both those going and those staying)

Also 5PG have always stated that they wanted to be big in mobile - look at the attempt made with LoTS - mobile throws open a much much wider audience your early link referred to 300k downloads in a week if only 5% continue to play that will provide a community bigger than that of any of our current servers. NG excluded as we have a quality that transcends mere numbers
    Shouldve clarified- I understand the reasoning behind the lack of disclosure, but something (i.e, we have a new lore person, he/she is...) would've been nice.

Dawn of the Dragons Developer Mouse's Avatar
    Developer Departure
    5th Planet is composed of a lot of talented individuals that work very closely together. Itís never fun to see your friends and coworkers parting ways, but this is a business and this sort of thing does happen.

Weíre not really in the practice of making big public announcements when a staff member leaves and this is really no exception. There will still be zones, there will still be lore, support tickets will be handled, community concerns will be addressed and there will still be content - none of that changes.

Itís also worth noting that Stranger has written sets and other bits in the past for both Dawn and Suns, and Logann has handled Lenaís tasks in the past, so this isnít an entirely new gig for either of them.

Understandably seeing people depart from 5pg can be worrisome as a fan of the product, but Iíve got the Dawn schedule in front of me and it extends into 2015 and beyond (though naturally a lot of the schedule is subject to change when it is so far out). Dawn will be around for a long time, rest assured.

Mobile Games
    We love web games and we love mobile games, we have no intention to stop producing content for our web games just because weíve released Curio Quest. Mobile is a pretty exciting market and weíre excited to be part of it, but thereís still plenty of projects ahead for web based production.

Lockbox Followup
    I don't know if you guys even realize, but there would have been no fiasko/protest/uprising if the lockboxes
    a) hadn't contained a must-have premium and/or
    b) you had announced the free key plan in advance.
    Oh definitely agreed to a point. We made a lot of errors when we introduced the Vampiric Lockboxes that can and will be avoided for the future. The intent of my post wasnít to discourage the thought of us *ever* releasing new lockboxes, just that itís not the right time to introduce them again right now. As I said, while we do schedule and plan things very far in advance a lot is subject to adjustment. Iím certain more lockboxes will come out down the road.

Iíll talk with the CM team and see if it might be an appropriate place to make another forum poll to get a feel for what youíd like to see with the next lockbox.

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Thank you for that reaction Mouse. Didnt see it coming. Surprised, positively.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titiliandus

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Developer Departure
    5th Planet is composed of a lot of talented individuals that work very closely together. It’s never fun to see your friends and coworkers parting ways, but this is a business and this sort of thing does happen.

We’re not really in the practice of making big public announcements when a staff member leaves and this is really no exception. There will still be zones, there will still be lore, support tickets will be handled, community concerns will be addressed and there will still be content - none of that changes.

It’s also worth noting that Stranger has written sets and other bits in the past for both Dawn and Suns, and Logann has handled Lena’s tasks in the past, so this isn’t an entirely new gig for either of them.

Understandably seeing people depart from 5pg can be worrisome as a fan of the product, but I’ve got the Dawn schedule in front of me and it extends into 2015 and beyond (though naturally a lot of the schedule is subject to change when it is so far out). Dawn will be around for a long time, rest assured.

Mobile Games
    We love web games and we love mobile games, we have no intention to stop producing content for our web games just because we’ve released Curio Quest. Mobile is a pretty exciting market and we’re excited to be part of it, but there’s still plenty of projects ahead for web based production.

Lockbox Followup

Oh definitely agreed to a point. We made a lot of errors when we introduced the Vampiric Lockboxes that can and will be avoided for the future. The intent of my post wasn’t to discourage the thought of us *ever* releasing new lockboxes, just that it’s not the right time to introduce them again right now. As I said, while we do schedule and plan things very far in advance a lot is subject to adjustment. I’m certain more lockboxes will come out down the road.

I’ll talk with the CM team and see if it might be an appropriate place to make another forum poll to get a feel for what you’d like to see with the next lockbox.
    Understandable, I wouldn't expect otherwise regarding departures. Thank you for addressing my question. While I still am worried about the game and haven't been convinced to keep playing here, I appreciate it.

There are a lot of things 5PG did that I liked, and many actions that I (quite vocally) opposed. I'll discuss those in depth either. Just be careful not to alienate your playerbase, I suppose. To be fair, your response is a reassuring change from a few months ago.

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Can you answer the concern that the lockboxes stopped dropping a tad too soon?

I purchased keys on the new server, and this understandably rarish drop stopped happening too soon to use all of my paid for game content.
    132,141 PC's purchased - and sadly done. Never again.
    I quit the forums due to over-moderation: My viewpoint is unwanted.
    AoH Guild FB - FU Guild WS - Kings of Dawn Guild NAG - F & I Guild KONG
    No longer a mod - I cannot make any difference in DOTD. I am sorry, I tried.
    Do More. You have one life to live.

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Good to get a response Mouse. Even if it is something short and sweet, it matters a lot. A sad day for everyone but all we can do is look forward now.

Silver Arrow

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    It’s also worth noting that Stranger has written sets and other bits in the past for both Dawn and Suns, and Logann has handled Lena’s tasks in the past, so this isn’t an entirely new gig for either of them.
    Is Lena leaving too then?

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticONE View Post
    Can you answer the concern that the lockboxes stopped dropping a tad too soon?

I purchased keys on the new server, and this understandably rarish drop stopped happening too soon to use all of my paid for game content.
    You can apparently still get lockboxes rarely from perception drops and I have not heard anything about them being removed from that. I would suspect that is a permanent way to get lockboxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    Is Lena leaving too then?
    Yes.

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Who will be the dev you throw at kong now? We used to have cleo on Fridays. Are you sending us Stranger now?
    Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Thank you Mouse for the added post.

My question is this (before I have read other threads on the subject):

Why are people that have been with the company right from the very beginning, that have helped to develop 5PG and the communities involved in their games, the people that have earned a lot of respect and recognition from the player communities, the people that are very knowledgeable and considered experts on everything 5PG - and specifically in this case, everything Dawn of the Dragons, why are these people the ones that are leaving and not a newer lesser member of that part of the team? (Not that I would like to see anyone leave, but...)

If this were a personal choice of the person involved, I would understand, and I would expect a forum post - as has happened in the past, but from what I have read so far, this is not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lena Gk View Post
    Dawn welcomes you to your doom
    Quote Originally Posted by Felendis View Post
    I really don't understand why you are in this thread, you are not actually helping in any way. At this point its borderline spam.
    Playing for 4 years, through thick and thin. I've been there, done that and I have some t-shirts to prove it.

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Arishok View Post
    Thank you Mouse for the added post.

My question is this (before I have read other threads on the subject):

Why are people that have been with the company right from the very beginning, that have helped to develop 5PG and the communities involved in their games, the people that have earned a lot of respect and recognition from the player communities, the people that are very knowledgeable and considered experts on everything 5PG - and specifically in this case, everything Dawn of the Dragons, why are these people the ones that are leaving and not a newer lesser member of that part of the team? (Not that I would like to see anyone leave, but...)

If this were a personal choice of the person involved, I would understand, and I would expect a forum post - as has happened in the past, but from what I have read so far, this is not the case.
    That was why I asked about it- since it could have been personal reasons that would merit a forum post like when dah left. And the fact that it is cleo and lena is a large part of why I have chosen to leave. I'm sticking around on chat and in forums to see if anything develops. Hell, I may even do kessov as a last hurrah, use up all my potions. But thats basically it.

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Quote Originally Posted by Plundarr View Post
    Who will be the dev you throw at kong now? We used to have cleo on Fridays. Are you sending us Stranger now?
    Logann is usually there too, so I'd suspect he will still show up, but it was nice having someone there to talk about the current state of the story and stuff they were working on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast