Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Cosplay Contest

Halloween Cosplay Contest

Halloween! The very word conjures up images of bloodthirsty killers and sinister spectres. Of course, if you play our games you're probably used to seeing those things on a regular basis anyway... In case you hadn't guessed from the thread title and this preamble, I'm setting the stage for a 5PG Halloween cosplay contest.

This contest will run across all our games (you'll see a copy of this thread on each forum), and the premise is simple. You have to dress up as a character from the game in question and post a photograph of yourself in costume on one of the aforementioned forum threads.

The rules and details, which I trust you'll all read:

1) All entry photographs should ideally be posted on one of the threads, so they can be viewed merely by reading those threads. But if you're unable to do this, and need to link them on the thread instead, that's acceptable.

2) You can submit as many photographs as you want, but they should all show you in the same costume. That will count as a single entry -- multiple entries aren't permitted. You can only enter with a single costume, on a single contest thread (so you couldn't enter on both the Dawn and Suns forums, for example).

3) You have to appear as a character from one of the games. Note that this doesn't include the player character -- it has to be one of the other characters in the game, who's been shown in the game's art (rather than just described or referred to in the text).

4) The thread you enter on must be appropriate for the character you're dressed up as (e.g. if you dress as a Clash character, you should enter on the Clash thread). If a character is strongly associated with more than one game (e.g. Elyssa appears a great deal in both Dawn and Clash), you can pick which thread to enter on. But a minor cameo in a game doesn't count.

5) Note that the thread you enter on will determine your prize if you win.

6) The photographs shouldn't be digitally altered. No special effects are permitted, apart from those you've created physically.

7) You can have other people in the photos with you to help set the scene, as long as they consent to this and you're the focal point.

8) If you've won a prize in a previous 5PG cosplay contest, you aren't permitted to use that same costume again for this one.

9) No nudity. Besides, you wouldn't want your future political careers to be sabotaged by having naked pictures floating around on the internet.

10) We may require proof that the person in the picture is you, and that you haven't just stolen someone's cosplay picture from the web. To help with this, please post -- or be prepared to provide -- a photograph of yourself in the costume, holding a sign that says the following: "I love beard mice!"

The contest threads will be locked at 10pm GMT on October 28, so you do have quite some time to get your costumes sorted out. At that point judging will begin -- with winners declared on October 31.

We'll be picking five winners from every game, each of whom will receive 375 Planet Coins or 600 Golden Suns or 600 Dragon Coins. Then we'll pick an overall winner, who'll receive a special mystery prize for the honour of their game.

As always, I'm sure you'll have questions which haven't been covered in the rules. So feel free to ask those on this thread.

Good luck!

"...the game in general seems to have a wanton disregard for human life."
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...fAThousandSuns (Warning: There are Suns story spoilers on that page.)

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Question: does it have to be -me- on the picture, or can I dress up a friend?
    Many more adventures to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutai View Post
    Question: does it have to be -me- on the picture, or can I dress up a friend?
    It should be you in the picture. If you have photogenic friends, maybe use them as props to help set the scene?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...fAThousandSuns (Warning: There are Suns story spoilers on that page.)

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Sad thing you're closing this contest before Halloween actually takes place.. that way I only got a "test shoot" to contribute, because I certainly won't have a chance to dress up again before Halloween.

And... where are those threads? Do we have to create them by ourselves? A link would be fine

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Vinnie is a troll. Given. But a harmless, funny one. I LUV YOU VINNIE!

Now on a serious note. If you indeed have troubles with Vin's attitude, you can try talking to him directly, or PM a Community Manager with your concerns. What you did right now it's the same as when people post pictures of players breaking the rules. That kind of stuff should be handled privately with CMs
    Last edited by Kutai; 3rd October 2013 at 22:34.
    Many more adventures to be had.

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Actually no, I think otherwise. Though your point is valid Kutai, as long as such "funny" things still go unpunished, visible for everyone and even backed by others (like you did here), this will be accepted as "okay". And no, it is not okay. And it is definitely not funny at all. I am by no means a feminist, but this attitude offends women and especially Lena. And, to say it with your words: Vinnie should handle his request privately with Lena. But that wouldn't be "funny", right?

Back to topic. I won't answer to anything else but the topic here from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by steellynx View Post
    And... where are those threads? Do we have to create them by ourselves? A link would be fine
    This thread we're posting on is one of them. You can post your photos here.

There's also a copy of this thread on the contests sub-forum of each of the other games - which you could also use, depending on whom you wanted to dress up as.

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Well okay then. Here are two pictures of me dressing up as a Riddler's Gargoyle. The horns are not finished yet and therefor missing, the costume itself stays stuffed away until Halloween. Since I won't do the whole makeup again until October the 31st, this will have to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4972b.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	4379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4973b.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	4380

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by steellynx View Post
    This guys forum post history is full of rudeness and harassment. I wonder why forum mods still tolerate it...
    I'm very glad you are protective of Lena, and women in general, as the rest of us are as well. I very much understand your concern with this type of behavior, Steellynx. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Some players like to walk dangerously close to the line concerning the TOS. If this behavior gets out of hand I will be the first to take care of it swiftly. I have a very high tolerance, but once the line is crossed, the tolerance vanishes.

I do prefer you sending me a PM with this type of info though, Dragon Masters. Your concern with this type of behavior is very much appreciated indeed!

Lets get back to the contest and back to the fun at hand.

Thank you Dragon Masters!

Logann
    Dragon Tamer

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Awesome contest! I cant wait to see some of the entries. So far DotD forum goers have shown amazing ability in regards to these contests (They all even sang at one point).

*Ahem* Can we expect to see results for the other contest soon?
    His mind made them flee in shame;
    His eyes were of fire;
    His voice could turn the mightiest tame;
    His blood could inspire.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleomedes View Post
    The contest threads will be locked at 10pm GMT on October 28, so you do have quite some time to get your costumes sorted out. At that point judging will begin -- with winners declared on October 31.
    Good luck!
    Wouldn't it be better the close the thread, after Halloween, let's say on november first? Otherwise some good costumes (the ones with lot's of make up and fake blood, hehe), may be left out because they have to use their make up twice, or have to use old pictures that don't prove it is them (like steellinx). That would be a shame

Quote Originally Posted by Blublublub View Post
    Wouldn't it be better the close the thread, after Halloween, let's say on november first? Otherwise some good costumes (the ones with lot's of make up and fake blood, hehe), may be left out because they have to use their make up twice, or have to use old pictures that don't prove it is them (like steellinx). That would be a shame
    Unless the person was also going to use the Dawn / Suns / Clash / Heroes character as their actual Halloween outfit, I'm not sure it would make a big difference.

For this one the people with the best chance of success will be those wearing very 5PG universe specific costumes, rather than whatever they're already planning on wearing for Halloween parties.

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Blublublub View Post
    Although I have to agree with you concerning the deadline of this contest, I have to object. My photos are quite new, about a week old. They were made after we finished coloring the mask and hair, while some details like the horns, cracks in the structure of the face still missing. Those will be added along with the costume, but I don't have the time to do that again before halloween.
    My inspiration for this years costume indeed came from DotD. I needed some kind of stone demon, since I had to do something petrified. Though technically not petrified, I found a gargoyle much more interesting than simply paint the skin grey and maybe add some cracks and moss. I have to admit though, a gargoyle is not a very unique to DotD character. But anyway, someone has to start entering pictures, and it's up to you to vote for it or not

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Well, i don't know if this is the best thread to make this request, but i want to make a costume of Headmaster Grismly, so i need more detailed pics of the red stripes in the robe and the 1st symbol that is covered by the left hand with the book.

Off topic but since the other thread is closed: any eta on story contest winner?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Off topic but since the other thread is closed: any eta on story contest winner?
    It'll probably be a couple of days or so, but we should have all the winners announced during the coming week.

My Platform(s)
    Multiple
    Well, if there is only one entry, I may try my hand at this. I'm not very artistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lena Gk View Post
    Dawn welcomes you to your doom
    Quote Originally Posted by Felendis View Post
    I really don't understand why you are in this thread, you are not actually helping in any way. At this point its borderline spam.
    Playing for 4 years, through thick and thin. I've been there, done that and I have some t-shirts to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arishok View Post
    Well, if there is only one entry, I may try my hand at this. I'm not very artistic.
    I hope I do not cross your plans by entering the contest, too Please do so, I'd love to see more Halloweeny Pics

I have been searching for an appropriate Halloween costume for this year. I got a lot of input, due to me playing not only this game but also looking around the internet over and over again. More and more, I got fascinated by Tithrasia. Of course I knew immediately, that the tail would be impossible to realize. Also, the armor is... well... not very suitable for that time of the year. So of course I would have to wear more than that. But I already imagined how it could look like. Within the past few weeks and months (sadly I didn't knew this contest would take place), I altered the overall look slightly. And this is when it gets tricky... I don't know exactly, if I am still eligible to enter this contest.

And this is why: I changed the overall look to the Medusa. Tithrasia itself almost looks like a Medusa, and I would always favor green above blue anyway So I decided to get a custom made headpiece with the "armory" look of crown surrounded by snakes. Because that would not be very impressive, I added a custom made wig with crin falls and ... well ... garden hoses With a little help of a friend, the makeup was a mix of black, gold and green. But, as you can clearly see on the pic, it is not finished at that time. I asked some friends how took photos back than, but I didn't have any better photos. Sad thing... :-/
    For my costume I picked various parts I liked to have. I know, in mythology, the Medusa would look different. And Tithrasia too But I needed to be a bit realistic on this one, and so I decided to put different pieces together. You don't see a lot on that pic, but it shows some details. I am wearing a spiderweb body suit and a black blouse with very wide sleeves. Around my neck is a feather boa and I decided to have the same piece you see in the pic now as a overbust corset. What you cannot see is the fishtail skirt in black (my very own "snaketail" ). My necklace is costum made, I therefor ordered soem thai bug wings, clipped them with golden rings around a leather strap. The centerpiece came from asia too, I just put in the snake eye to match the headdress. And yes, those bug wings hurt a lot, they are spikey and not very easy to hold in place.

I would love to add more pictures, but that would have to wait till Halloween. Now you mods have to consider if I should take part in the contest or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4963-3b.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	4393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4976b.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	4394

Farmhand

My Platform(s)
    Armor Games

"all this...not enough"

I'll have to see if I get spare time to come up with something... Going as "Zoltan" from the guild raid Agony would be terribly unoriginal, and dismissed. (like Cleo mentions since it's the same getup)

Right now I'm working on my costume (armor really), and it won't match anything in game, but I could make it work potentially...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast