Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!

Thread: Bandwidth --

Banned

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate

Bandwidth --

Why aren't certain commonly used resources save locally on a user's pc but rather re-downloaded every time one refreshes? It would seem to contribute a great deal to bandwidth costs, and certainly contributes to the general lagginess of the game. Curious why DotD doesn't seem to take advantage of a player's cache to deal with some performance issues.

To be honest I'm speaking out of my depth. So apologies if I've gotten something wrong.

Hey Mzzrri,
    Good question, we do store some of the image and language files locally but in order to ensure that the correct content is visible to all users, sometimes forced cache clearing is necessary on our end. Although images may be slow to appear when they need to be reloaded, please note that the Content Delivery System has very little to no effect on the server or client lag. Beyond that, we are limited by Flash as to the amount of data that can be stored locally on a web application.

Hope that clears some of your questions up.

Thanks again,
    -Levi

Banned

My Platform(s)
    Kongregate
    Thanks very much for the informed answer! So, is there anything we can do in terms of memory/storage allocation (or really anything) that could help improve performance? Thanks again.

And is it just me, that though I allocate unlimited storage, that when i check it always says 0kb being used. Should that be what it should be? Thanks again, again.

I addressed some of the things we're doing on our end in a different post here:
    http://www.dawnofthedragons.com/foru...age-Collection

But in terms of what you can do locally, i would recommend upping the memory settings for your Flash player. (not sure about the 0kb issue, sorry)

Hope that helps,

-Levi