Like Dawn of the Dragons Community on Facebook! Like Dawn of the Dragons Mobile Community on Facebook!

Thread: ^ DotD forum pic story

^ DotD forum pic story

I had a crazy idea for a story behind the pic at the top of the page. (the one that has a girl and dragon touching foreheads if you could not figure it out.) I just need two names. One for the dragon and one for the girl.

NOTE this story will be before the wars of the dragons.

Siih was a normal dragon in a time before the world spoke of them with the greatest distaste. Before the wars waged on the world or those that dreamed of it amongst his race. Siih did normal things any other normal dragon would do. However one day he was challenged and fatally wounded and was forced to flee for his life. As he flew from his pursuers his vision blurred and his muscles cramped and he fell from the sky. Siih knew this was his end. Yet luck was with him as he landed in a lake and fortunate to wash ashore shortly after those that wanted him dead convinced he was. With the last of his strength he moved out of the water and into the cover of trees. So those that would possibly still search for him would not spot him.

Lan was a healer by trade. Not a very good one but skilled enough to be useful with basic or important matters she was called to attend to. One day while gathering herbs she came across a great splatter of blood that seemed to come from something larger that even the bears native to the wood. Her instincts told her to leave it be but her curiosity bested her as she moved threw the underbrush to a badly bleeding dragon. It noticed her as quickly as she noticed it. One look from this dragon from her trained healer eyes told her this dragon had already accepted it's death. It was only waiting for it to finally come. Without knowing why Lan started applying her healing arts on the dying dragon.

Siih watched helpless to stop this stranger from helping him. As his blood covered her, all he could do is watch as she stopped one gash from bleeding and moving on to the next. Siih at first wondered why he was being saved. By the time she could do no more Siih only figured out that this is a second chance at life and he would make better use of it than his first chance.

Lan moved back from the dragon and admired her work before checking to see if anymore could be done for the creature. The main problem it faced now was that it had lost lots of blood. Even for a being it's size. It will need food and liquids put back into it's body. Determined to not see her efforts half done she set out to get what she will need to have her self imposed task succeed.

Siih was disappointed when the healer left his side. Was it a cruel joke? He wondered for a time. In the end it did not matter. He saw her return with a bucket of fresh meat in each hand and a bag on her back. He ate slowly as she applied better bandages and when the meat was gone she went and fetched some water. Siih was now happy to see her leave and come back. Each time it is done he felt closer to his savior.

It took weeks for Lan to treat the dragon to a point of being able to help itself without her aid. It also cost her most of the coin and resources she had saved for emergencies. Yet to her surprise the creature would not leave her side. On the day she was going to leave it to itself it followed her back to the hut she lives in. On the outskirts of the village she lives in.

Siih knew the risk he was putting himself in by following her but he wished to pay the debt for her saving his life. He figured if something wanted him alive then it might intervene again to see to it his debt paid. When he awoke to the yells of the villagers threatening him he saw the healer suddenly get hit in the head with a stone. He instantly moved over her protectively and bore his fangs at the others as if he was protecting one of his young. The moment he felt confident they would do them no harm he looked down at the healer and licked the blood off her forehead.

When Lan became aware again the dragon was happy to see her well and backed away before turning it's attention back at the other villagers. Lan felt odd how closely the dragon seemed to feel to her. Then she saw the glint of steel. A glint the dragon did not miss either. It took a combat pose and Lan raised her hand toward the dragon. “ No, I will handle this.”

Siih looked at the healer and felt the will of the command she gave him. The chances of him surviving any encounter of combat was slim. Siih slowly relaxed his body and became as submissive as he figured they would accept. To his surprise the others seemed surprised how well she commanded him. It was shameful to being a pet but he felt this was part of the debt he had to pay for her. Or figured it might be something greater.

It took lots of convincing for Lan to keep the others to allow them to give the dragon a chance. At first the dragon was met with scrutiny and hatred but over a year it had become a staple of the village. Lan quickly figured out that the dragon had been leaving presents of strange kinds for her. Sometimes it would go missing for days in between the presents. Many of them seemed harmless enough. Cloth, herbs, or empty bottles of various kinds. Sometimes it would bring her a present of fresh meat or basket of fruit not native to the region. All she knew was that there was not even rumor of such things being missing.

Siih was only taking small risks getting the things he had been giving her. None cared he survived his death and the things he was taking would not be cared about by another dragon. Thou he knew he could not continue doing so for very long so the gifts mostly stopped except of the plants or animals she seemed to want. It eventually came to a point of her rubbing his snout when she was glad of his deed.

By the end of the second winter of the dragon appearance, Lan was glad of it coming into her life. It was very helpful and learned quickly of every plant she could ever need. It also interacted with the villagers very kindly. Understanding the common tongue and knowing it's situation could change in an instant.

It was the middle of summer of the second year when the first came for Siih life. By then the dragons had figured out what he was doing and shunned him into exile. Not really caring about it as long as it does not involve them. Siih was in a field gathering flower herbs and a few others for the purpose of a nice gift after they were made into a wreath. Siih had become so comfortable with his guard down he barely had time to avoid being killed and get the basket before fleeing injured once again.

Lan saw the blood before all else. Some difficult quick stitching between some of the dragons scales easily stopped the bleeding. The dragon knew it was not a serious hurt and would have healed on it's own and Lan was concerned more of how the cut was made not the cut itself. She knew adventurers and the like would come one day but she never fully understood how serious it would be until then.

Siih noticed the feelings between him and the healer. That they each cared for the other in some way. Siih had found a happiness he would never have had amongst the dragons. Peace and contentment. He had been living day by day happy. As he watched her stitch his body once again he hated how different the two of them were.

It did not take long after that for the village to be filled with those seeking the thrill of killing a dragon and the prizes of it's corpse would bring. As it was believed every bit of it's flesh would easily fetch a pound for pound of silver. Lan noticed very quickly the dragon never fought. It always fled. Only when the hunters for it came to her home did it no longer come back.

As soon as Siih realized it was no longer safe for him or the healer for him to be near her he left her behind. But not far. He knew he could never be at her side again as he is.

On the anniversary of three years after meeting the dragon for the first time Lan went by the lake where she first met the dragon. Even after so long of a time passing killers of the dragon still watched her. Awaiting a time when the dragon would return. She missed the silent and loyal companion. She missed the gifts and the small journeys on his back. She hated what has happened and that she never even had the chance to say goodbye. On her way back she spotted a body on the side of the road. A man she had not seen before but looked familiar was beaten and robbed of everything. Even his undergarments. It took some effort but she managed to drag the man back to her hut and treat him back to health. She soon discovered this man a mute and detested violence. However he did understand hunting and self defense very well. The man soon started earning money as a hunter of game. Soon after that the presents started again.

Siih was glad his prayers were answered and he changed. He knew the healer well and knew her likes and not. It did not take long for her to find out who was leaving the gifts and only a little more for her to be wooed by him. It quickly came to a point of marriage between the two and Siih could feel the healer have heart for the dragon he once was on their wedding night.

Lan felt a familiarity with her new husband she missed. She had known the man for less than a year but she seemed to know him for longer. As her husband was away hunting one day she had noticed a sign of something that she had instructed so many others of. She was pregnant.

It was little past two months after their wedding and Siih knew the time they had was up. He led his wife down to the lake and spoke to her for the first time. “ Healer.”

Lan was quite surprised to hear her husband and a bit confused to address her as a healer and not as his wife. He took her hand and held it as he said more. “ Thank you. Four years ago to this day you saved my life. When I left you behind my prayers were answered when the gods changed me to this. For one year I would be allowed to be back with you as this. On the last day I may speak to you.”

Siih went to a knee and put her hand to his face. “ It is strange. I know so much about you but so little as well.” Siih heard and he looked up back into her eyes. “ Time is short. I have enough time for a single question.”

Lan husband let her go and started backing into the lake. “ What is your name?” He was already waist high in water when he answered. “ I am Siih.” Lan then went to the waters edge and Siih stopped with his head over the water. “ I will always be close. You may not be able to see me but I will see you.” Then he was submerged. Moments after the bubbles of air stopped coming to the surface Lan took a step back as the familiar dragon emerged from the depths of the lake.

With regained dragon senses Siih could easily tell others were nearby but not close enough to notice him. It would be suspicious if she is found alone so Siih gently took hold of his wife and carried her away in the sky before setting her down back at her home.

After that Lan never closely saw the dragon again but knew him nearby watching her by the gifts he leaves on occasion. On nights when none were watching closely. It was believed that the dragon killed her husband out of jealousy but Lan knew the dragon her husband. On occasion Lan would spot a dragon in the distance watching her or deeply hidden in the foliage. When their son was born he made no attempts of contact. Preferring deeds remained hidden to even her. For example watching over him the one time he wondered off the beaten path and got lost. Leaving food and keeping predators at bay. Leading him to shelter for the night before he is found again.

Siih watched for years in hidden silence. On the verge of their son becoming a man Siih wife became sickly and died shortly after. In the dead of night after her body was put to rest he was spotted weeping over her grave. In later years his own son would hunt him and eventually fell him because of the war but he knew one day it might happen. He had no regrets and was happy how he spent his second chance at life.

My Platform(s)
    Facebook
    Wait, wait... she married a dragon and didn't even know its name, I think the Lan may have a bit of a fetish thing going on there . I commend you for your dedication to this, but I think it would have made a bit more sense for Siih to be a human-turned-dragon which would allow for a deeper back story between the two characters. Right now it reminds me of a romantic version of How To Train Your Dragon.

I also recommend you try to avoid using adverbs wherever possible, they're unnecessary most of the time.

... Siih WAS a human turned from a dragon for 1 YEAR. also note this is BEFORE ANY WAR was waged by any dragon. in fact about 20 years before the first.

as for adverbs that is how I write... I do try thou... succeed is another matter

I like the story. It's great that you are so creative! I haven't even thought of a background story for the pic, but this is wonderful! btw it encourages me to start my own vegetable, herbs and flower garden... I already know that I want get some from serenata uk to complete my goal, because it's quite cheap! This is what I like about fantasy stories. They always inspire people to more things, to different things. There are no limits anymore!

I'm so happy I inspired you... I will be doing another one soon with references to George the dragon slayer, star wars, and the wizard of ozz all in one story... wait and see how I pull that off.