PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on PvP stats (when they are implemented)

RockCastellum
26th November 2010, 16:28
One thing that has always bothered me about PvP stats in most (if not all) other FB games is that it's not really telling you how strong you are in comparison to other players. In reality, what it shows you more often than not is:

1) How effective someone is at finding opponents that he or she can excessively chain.

2) How diligent someone is at putting the character below the amount of health required for someone else to attack it.

3) How much stamina an individual has used for PvP purposes in comparison to how much stamina other people have used.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do see how total number of wins and total number of losses can be valid to some degree. However, it really doesn't do much to show you how you actually stack up to everyone else--it's too easily muddled.

Therefore, I think that there needs to be another stat tracked in addition to wins and losses: percentage of unique opponents beaten. This isn't tracking how many times you beat a single person, just if you were able to beat that individual AT ALL. If you beat them, your percentage goes up, if you can't, then your percentage goes down.

It could be separated into offensive and defensive wins as well. I would also suggest that there be a monthly percentage and an all-time percentage. THIS would give people a real idea of how they stack up in PvP, and I don't see it being difficult to implement or really intensive on the servers, though I could be wrong.

If you're able to do this, I think it would add a whole new dimension to PvP and go even further to allow your games to outclass the other FB games. It could also be implemented for Guild vs. Guild as well, which needs to be just as innovative.

Locke
27th November 2010, 00:58
Thanks for the thoughts, Numbers! I'm always for any new ideas anyone can bring into the PvP picture and it is very true that in most other games the PvP stats do not tell everything they should.

I think the number or percentage of individual wins and losses is a nice idea, although I have a vague sense of something that would work better. But since it's only a vague sense and I can't home in on it to better elaborate, I'm content in just backing you on this one whole-heartedly. ~__^

On a side-note, since we're talking about PvP, I love the formula for determining Colosseum Battle Lists. I think it's great that you can only see people 3 Ranks in there. It makes it more competitive and restricts people from chaining much weaker opponents indefinitely. I think something like that should be implemented in normal PvP as well when the stats and rankings are released. This might support the spirit of your suggestion as well, I think. ^___^

Ronin
27th November 2010, 02:22
See now that's a useful PvP stat to track. However, due to growth of characters, there should be a time frame for how long someone is considered a unique opponent, such as daily or weekly, since some variables can change such as stats allocated, gear equipped, etc.

RockCastellum
27th November 2010, 02:34
See now that's a useful PvP stat to track. However, due to growth of characters, there should be a time frame for how long someone is considered a unique opponent, such as daily or weekly, since some variables can change such as stats allocated, gear equipped, etc.

That's where the monthly percentage would come into play. The all time would track based on who you have beaten, ever, even once. The monthly would simply be how well you did that month, and be reset after that.

However, if people think it's more accurate, the "all-time" could keep track of the last time you dueled the person instead of if you have simply beaten them at any given time. The down side is that it might be harder to program and/or easier to manipulate.