PDA

View Full Version : "Sidekicks" or "Squires"

Ronin
8th October 2010, 23:46
I just had a thought about a potential addition. It may or may not be workable, but I wanted to toss it out there for discussion.

I was thinking, what if, at a certain level (say 500 or 1000, for example), players could unlock a "Squire" slot. Or it could be called "Sidekick", or "Apprentice" (and despite the word apprentice, this idea did not come from CA).

In this slot, players could either a) create a character from scratch to fill the slot, (not a second account) or b) select a single troop from any of those owned, such as Mina, Teucer, even Farmhands, and place it in the Squire slot to level it up, then take it out and put another troop in to level. This would be similar to Generals leveling up, except that instead of giving the squire as much xp as the player gets, the player either forfeits his xp to whatever troop is in the squire slot while it's there, or in the case of a from-scratch secondary character, the player can select who receives the xp at any given time, themselves or the squire, with a sort of on-off switch. Essentially, while leveling anything in the squire slot, the player receives no xp for their main character.

Troops could level up to a set maximum, much like generals, but leveling one Farmhand wouldn't level all Farmhands, each would have to be done in turn. If the squire is a player-made character, it could level up to, say, half the player's actual level.

Perhaps the only benefit players would get from this is increased damage during raids, proportionately of course, unless you can think of something better. This would provide another way to spread xp out a little bit and slow down auto-leveling.

Having only just thought of this about 30 minutes ago, that's about all I can flesh out about it, but offhand I can't see any downsides, other than what would likely be a ton of work in the coding. But like I said, I just wanted to throw it out there and see what people thought.

doneill2000
7th March 2011, 21:13
i am sorry but i did not like that idea but good efort we need more people like you to think of ideas like this some well people like and some not so much in my mind this is not so much.

Jonathan Smith
8th March 2011, 02:36
Actually i like this idea.

Instead of going for a complicated troop leveling/alternate character option, how about simply allowing a squire to confer a benefit, such as a damage increase, increase crit chance, reduction in a specific timer (honour?) or something like that etc... you could then choose whether to increase attack, or defense etc.. by equipping a different squire.

Arishok
9th March 2011, 00:51
Actually i like this idea.

Instead of going for a complicated troop leveling/alternate character option, how about simply allowing a squire to confer a benefit, such as a damage increase, increase crit chance, reduction in a specific timer (honour?) or something like that etc... you could then choose whether to increase attack, or defense etc.. by equipping a different squire.

I like this option. I Posted a Suggestion about Mercenary's a few days ago, click here (http://www.dawnofthedragons.com/forums/showthread.php?5623-Mercenary-Idea-For-Raids.)too see it. I think your Idea also has merit in that area and have placed it in as another suggesstion. (Don't worry, I didn't pinch the idea, I quoted you. Credit where Cridit is due.)

Arishok
9th March 2011, 00:58
Just in case someone decides to think that I am trying to push my own idea, I'm not.
Though Both OP's do have similarities they are two totally different ideas with different uses.

I Quoted Jonathan Smith in my idea as I though it had merit and could be an option for that idea as well.

Recently I have seen too many Threads (and a couple of really good Threads) get Off Topic and turn into Slanging Matches.
Please don't do that here.

Katana
9th March 2011, 02:04
This could be a good way to introduce class abilities. eg u can choose your sidekick to have tank, healer, melee, ranged ability (or more typical classes eg mage, cleric, warrior) each of which would have diff impact on the game. Perhaps as side kick levels up you get more and more abilities to select from (similar to level progression trees in a lot of other games eg Heroes Might and Magic)

Jonathan Smith
9th March 2011, 04:31
Just read through Bubba Slug's post on mercs, and I see no reason why both could not be implemented. Thus I would envisage a simplistic feature of squires/sidekicks with a simple benefit and then a more complicated system of mercs. I would love to see some more strategic choices in the game, but that being said I dont want it to become over-complex.

Joshua Workman
17th June 2012, 05:55
Over a year later, but I like Katana's suggestion. Make those Melee, Tank, Healer, Ranged, and Special classifications on troops and generals actually do something.