PDA

View Full Version : [Answered] Competition and Cooperation

Blues
12th March 2013, 19:09
I suppose this isn't a question so much as a comment, but I digress.

At some point this year we'll be seeing Communities (specifically the "competitive stats" between communities) and Guild vs. Guild. While many players are excited about these features, I have some concerns about how they might affect existing cooperative dynamics.

With the ability to create larger groups as a result of communities, it also becomes easier to make groups exclusive and self-sustaining. As things stand now, especially on Kong, there's a general tendency to cooperate across groups on z10 raids and other features. If players can organize among themselves more easily, I worry that portions of the population would get shut out. Along these lines, I'm wondering how membership in a given community will work. Will there players be able to choose communities? Will they be able to exclude people from communities? How might communities be balanced against each other such that we don't have to worry about dividing the game population into "tiers"?

As for GvG, right now the relative strength of your guild isn't overly important. There are certainly advantages to being in a stronger guild, like raids dying faster, having farming groups, or having access to more Tisiphone/Serpinas in-guild, but those advantages aren't incredibly important. With GvG, I'm concerned that the advantages of being in one of the "stronger" guilds may grow even more, to the point where they're difficult to ignore. To me, that would seem to diminish the social aspect of guilds in favor of competitive aspects and would reduce incentives for guilds to take on newer players or for stronger players to stay in weaker guilds to help.

I'm sure these concerns aren't particularly new to you and have been discussed to some extent. I don't often see them floated as concerns here, though, so I wanted to chime in and maybe learn more about what your plans are to address them.

(Just some context: I'm ranked in the top 10 in duel and am interested in staying competitive. I am not, however, strong enough or able to spend enough to really compete with the absolute top players, in any capacity. I like my guild and don't plan on leaving, but it does lack many of the advantages I might find elsewhere, so that's why this is important to me.)

Mouse
12th March 2013, 20:03
With the ability to create larger groups as a result of communities, it also becomes easier to make groups exclusive and self-sustaining. As things stand now, especially on Kong, there's a general tendency to cooperate across groups on z10 raids and other features. If players can organize among themselves more easily, I worry that portions of the population would get shut out. Along these lines, I'm wondering how membership in a given community will work. Will there players be able to choose communities? Will they be able to exclude people from communities? How might communities be balanced against each other such that we don't have to worry about dividing the game population into "tiers"?
The intent of Communities is to allow players to work together more easily by providing better raid sharing capability and communication. Players will be able to select the Community they'd like to be a part of and Community founders can decide if they'd like to make their Community more open and accessible or more locked down.

With GvG, I'm concerned that the advantages of being in one of the "stronger" guilds may grow even more, to the point where they're difficult to ignore. To me, that would seem to diminish the social aspect of guilds in favor of competitive aspects and would reduce incentives for guilds to take on newer players or for stronger players to stay in weaker guilds to help.
GvG is a very complicated system when you really get down to it, even just from a concept point of view. The concerns you've raised here (and many others) are some of the reasons for the delay of the GvG system.

Rest assured that we're aware of these concerns and will be taking them into account going forward.