PDA

View Full Version : Upgradeable items and Customization.

Locke
18th August 2010, 18:14
This has been seen in PC and console games before but would be a cool addition to DotD as well some day. How about allowing us to tweak and upgrade our equipment with certain components, gems, runes and the like? They could add damage, crit chance and the like into weapons etc. Maybe have different items have varying amount of slots where the upgrade components could be added. It would be like bringing free will and creativity into Crafting. Also, a little customizability never hurt anyone. :P You could tailor your gear to better fit and compliment your character type and playing style. It would also give you more loot for monsters to drop in the form of the runes etc. Some could be unique and gained only via an achievement or something.

Also, I'd like to "bump" an idea that was suggested some time ago somewhere (in a galaxy far, far away). Please add selectable color schemes to equipment. The mechanic that Baldur's Gate had would work well, with adjustments I think, where you have like ten different colors and two or three selectable portions to add them in each piece. Like you could choose the color for base (now brown) and details (now grey) for Thersite's Cowl for example. :)

And maybe, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, the background in Profile page could be selectable too? It has a blurred farm now and maybe some people would like to show they've progressed away from the farm already. ^__^

RockCastellum
18th August 2010, 19:01
The catch comes in when they make it cost a planet coin to undo what you've done.

Joking aside, it's something that could work, but would need A LOT of thought and effort put into it. Maybe once the game was much larger and looking for something new to keep older players excited. For now, I think focusing on more content instead of altering the current content is the way to go. All the same, something worth mentioning at very least.

Locke
18th August 2010, 19:13
Thanks for the input, Numbers, appreciate it. :) And I agree with you that maybe this isn't the top priority at the moment. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff the Devs have already planned out and about to release - something for which there is a mechanic in place already. Nevertheless, I wanted to plant the seed of this to the Devs' minds early so it could perhaps sprout someday. Things need time to grow, after all and the earlier they're started, the better. And maybe if it's good enough, they can start taking it into account and prepare for it in some way. Also, it's good to know what the Players think of things, I assume. At least I'm interested in people's thoughts on things like this. :) But now I'm rambling and sounding a bit defensive, which is not the intention since I wasn't offended or anything, on the contrary. ;) Thanks again for the reply and opinion. :)

PS, even if it was a jest, the undo by PC is certainly a viable source of income, haha... ;P

Angelus
18th August 2010, 19:46
I would love to see something along those lines. Eventually that is at the moment I'm having fun seeing where their taking us. =D

RockCastellum
18th August 2010, 20:02
PS, even if it was a jest, the undo by PC is certainly a viable source of income, haha... ;P

Yeah, I was only partially joking. Though, it would sure increase the threads with titled like "REMOVED GEMS BY ACCIDENT I WANT THEM AN PC BACK NOWZ!!!1"

Ude Hikaru
19th August 2010, 11:33
This has been seen in PC and console games before but would be a cool addition to DotD as well some day. How about allowing us to tweak and upgrade our equipment with certain components, gems, runes and the like? They could add damage, crit chance and the like into weapons etc. Maybe have different items have varying amount of slots where the upgrade components could be added. It would be like bringing free will and creativity into Crafting. Also, a little customizability never hurt anyone. :P You could tailor your gear to better fit and compliment your character type and playing style. It would also give you more loot for monsters to drop in the form of the runes etc. Some could be unique and gained only via an achievement or something.

Also, I'd like to "bump" an idea that was suggested some time ago somewhere (in a galaxy far, far away). Please add selectable color schemes to equipment. The mechanic that Baldur's Gate had would work well, with adjustments I think, where you have like ten different colors and two or three selectable portions to add them in each piece. Like you could choose the color for base (now brown) and details (now grey) for Thersite's Cowl for example. :)

And maybe, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, the background in Profile page could be selectable too? It has a blurred farm now and maybe some people would like to show they've progressed away from the farm already. ^__^

i like the idea, i hope it can be done in the future, even CA haven't done it yet, so it will be the first game in FB to done it DoTD , i also hope the put 3D engine to make thing look more alive ^^

Ude Hikaru
19th August 2010, 11:34
Yeah, I was only partially joking. Though, it would sure increase the threads with titled like "REMOVED GEMS BY ACCIDENT I WANT THEM AN PC BACK NOWZ!!!1"

hahaha yeah right=p

Ronin
3rd September 2010, 06:22
I was going to post an idea but found this thread was already here so I'll necro instead.

What I was going to suggest is not so much enhancing weapons, as Locke suggests, but actual upgrades, whereby you take an existing weapon or piece of armor you already have, and upgrade it to a "level 2" or "+1" type of deal. This could be done by combining the piece, through the already existing crafting interface, with a set of crafting-type pieces that follow the established gray to orange spectrum, and said components would only be obtainable via drop chance from completing raids. I wouldn't suggest making them giftable since it would be so easy for some people to get hundreds of gifts a day and complete them in short order.

Some MMO's do this now, so it's far from an original idea, but I think it would work with the game mechanics already in place in DotD.