PDA

View Full Version : [Answered] Fixing the Garbage Collection

cryophallion
12th March 2013, 18:18
Many players complain about lag, especially for PvP with the animations, and when hitting a lot of raids it still seems to come up. I use a relatively modern computer, and flash still bogs down mightily. I'm not sure if the images are being copied instead of re-read, or redownloaded or what, but it appears the garbage collection isn't happening to get all lot of assets out of memory. Is this something that is being actively worked on?

Leviticus
12th March 2013, 18:32
Hey Cry,
Congrats on being the first to get me out of my tech-cave for this Q&A session; the short answer is "yes". Memory management within flash is something that we know is an issue for many players and something that we are actively working to correct on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. Unfortunately when this game was originally coded, we didn't know a lot of the lessons we've learned over the years regarding memory management and as you know, Flash can be a beast when it comes to eating up RAM. Long play sessions combined with many different raids hit can all be factors in Flash running poorly but we are doing what we can on our end to mitigate these occurrences. Image loading should not play a role in lag given that they are cached and although sometimes a little delayed by the Content Delivery System, they should not add additional load to the Flash player.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if there is anything that does not make sense.

Thanks again,

-Levi

Steendorian
12th March 2013, 18:52
I wish I could give this some more attention, but I'm in a bit of a hurry. I would've missed it completely if not for cryo, so blame him. :wink-new:

It's not only long sessions that are a problem. Short sessions involving large quantities of the same raid can cause lag issues. Hitting a single person over 100 times in Duel can cause lag issues. I frequently find myself needing to reload the game to increase responsiveness.

I'm no flash developer, so I won't pontificate on the problems or their solutions. I just want to make sure nothing's being overlooked.

Leviticus
12th March 2013, 19:07
Absolutely; those are all things we are aware of but i appreciate you pointing them out. No Flash expertise needed to know that optimization is needed. :smile-new:

Thanks again,
-Levi